Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2021, 6:10 am

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
I would like the aviator silver better if they had food for purchase in economy. I can’t use the $25 per day perk on food and beverage
Old Aug 20, 2021, 8:02 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
In the terms of the cc offer, it has vague language about eligibility for SUB. I have a base AAdvantage Aviator MC that was converted from the USAirways card into a red AA Aviator several years ago. I since downgraded it to the base one. So while I currently have the card, I never got an AA bonus from them. I did have a business version and canceled it a year ago.

Any advice re eligibility?
Old Sep 6, 2021, 7:27 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Positive DP on new Red Card (P2)

Long-time Red Card was upgraded to Silver Card early 2020. Then Covid; never used. Could not get retention offer on Silver earlier this year (2021), so canceled when Annual Fee posted.

Decided to apply for new Red Card with $0 first-year Annual Fee. Was a week a two over 6 mos. from cancellation of Silver (formerly Red) Card. Approved immediately; one purchase; 60K miles now posted.
Old Sep 6, 2021, 10:10 am

Programs: American, SWA, United, IHG,Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Long-time Red Card was upgraded to Silver Card early 2020. Then Covid; never used. Could not get retention offer on Silver earlier this year (2021), so canceled when Annual Fee posted.

Decided to apply for new Red Card with $0 first-year Annual Fee. Was a week a two over 6 mos. from cancellation of Silver (formerly Red) Card. Approved immediately; one purchase; 60K miles now posted.
lucky. Different product I guess. My mom canceled her red card less than a year ago and tried for a second bonus. Rejected.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 3:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Positive DP re Red Card (P1)

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
In the terms of the cc offer, it has vague language about eligibility for SUB. I have a base AAdvantage Aviator MC that was converted from the USAirways card into a red AA Aviator several years ago. I since downgraded it to the base one. So while I currently have the card, I never got an AA bonus from them. I did have a business version and canceled it a year ago.

Any advice re eligibility?
Downgraded a Red Aviator to the no fee White Aviator maybe five years ago ... still have it.

Canceled a second Red Aviator maybe three years ago.

Applied yesterday for the 60K no-annual-fee-first-year Red Aviator. Went pending but is now approved, within 24 hours. We'll see in a month whether the miles post, but that has never been the problem with Barclays. [Update: Everything worked fine -- miles received a week or so ago after single purchase.]
Stgermainparis likes this.

Last edited by Biggie Fries; Oct 20, 2021 at 1:32 am Reason: Update: Success
Old Sep 15, 2021, 8:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton HHonors Gold, Hertz #1 Gold
Upgrading From Aviator Red to Silver

Originally Posted by moe8555
I called in now and they wouldn't let me, claiming an offer has to be tied to the account.
Anyone have recent experience with trying to upgrade from Red to Silver? I just called, and was told I could only upgrade if there's an active offer on my account. I've had the Red card for 90 days.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by PHLesq
Anyone have recent experience with trying to upgrade from Red to Silver? I just called, and was told I could only upgrade if there's an active offer on my account. I've had the Red card for 90 days.
You're going to have to wait a year for the offer to appear. The CARD Act prevents them from charging a higher annual fee during the first year and they now go by that rule. (they used to allow the offer to appear after 90 days but I'm assuming they got in some hot water because of it)
Old Sep 18, 2021, 5:13 pm

Silver Upgrade - EQMs

Originally Posted by Drwaz99
You're going to have to wait a year for the offer to appear. The CARD Act prevents them from charging a higher annual fee during the first year and they now go by that rule. (they used to allow the offer to appear after 90 days but I'm assuming they got in some hot water because of it)
1 year red in early Dec. If upgrade to Silver, can EQMs post this year & will Red spend YTD count?

Tracking to a few thousand EQM short of next level AA status this year, prefer to not do a status run. Really appreciate insight if a Dec upgrade to Silver could get the EQMs needed. Thanks!
Old Sep 19, 2021, 12:44 pm

Anyone else have this promotion and see the miles post? It says 6-8 weeks after the promotion ends and this week is week 8.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 5:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
Anyone else have this promotion and see the miles post? It says 6-8 weeks after the promotion ends and this week is week 8.
I signed up for the promo and took care of the spend. Still haven't seen the points post.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Whats the posting time these days for EQMs on the Barclay Silver card once you've crossed a threshold?
Old Sep 19, 2021, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Whats the posting time these days for EQMs on the Barclay Silver card once you've crossed a threshold?
My experience this year has been about 7 weeks after crossing the spend thresholds for the EQMs/EQDs to post. The EQD posting date is backdated to the day the spend threshold was actually reached - which effectively results in a ~2 month loss of impact on 12mo rolling-EQD upgrade prioritization.

-FlyerBeek
Old Sep 20, 2021, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I applied about 2 months ago, got my card and miles posted. I told a friend who got an application from flight attendant a couple weeks ago & the app has a promo code but it says annual $99 fee. Have they changed this promo from no first year annual fee to now requiring annual fee to get miles? I told her to ask another flight attendant for an app on her next flight. They have not walked the aisles passing out apps on any of my flights for the last month.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
Originally Posted by corky
I applied about 2 months ago, got my card and miles posted. I told a friend who got an application from flight attendant a couple weeks ago & the app has a promo code but it says annual $99 fee. Have they changed this promo from no first year annual fee to now requiring annual fee to get miles? I told her to ask another flight attendant for an app on her next flight. They have not walked the aisles passing out apps on any of my flights for the last month.
The exact terms of the promo appear to change month to month. I flew in August and heard them say the fee was waived for the first year. I have flown this month and did not hear that language. I flew one month in 2019 and it was waived AND a companion flight certificate was offered. By the time I applied, the cert was gone, but the fee was still waived. Based on the CARD Act post, above, maybe that is how I was able to upgrade to Silver after three months - no fee had been paid on my offer.
corky likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by skydve1
I signed up for the promo and took care of the spend. Still haven't seen the points post.
Just to follow up - my 20k bonus points posted on 09/26. So check your AA account!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.