Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2020, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA: Exec Plat; AC: 75K; JX: Explorer; HH: Dia; Bonvoy: Gold; Wyndham: Dia
I am curious. To those who are receiving these offers, had you been actively using the card recently? I use mine regularly and have not seen any of these offers.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 6:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Originally Posted by ramcm7
I am curious. To those who are receiving these offers, had you been actively using the card recently? I use mine regularly and have not seen any of these offers.
Yes I got an email but it said I was registered automatically.

I have hardly used the card at all this year. Maybe once or twice, if that. It was sock-drawed - but I am def going to use it to grab that 60K.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 9:15 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by gateH15
did you get an email? I have aviator silver card and I did not receive an email
I received an email; my card is Aviator Red.

Originally Posted by ramcm7
I haven't used the card in months.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 5:31 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
I only got the lowest-tier addt'l. 3X (so 4X total) at Amazon, Best Buy, Apple, Walmart, and Target (Aviator Red). Pretty disappointed after seeing the other incredible offers people have been getting, mostly on dormant cards.

You would think Barclays would give the excellent offers to active users as a reward for loyalty and the lower offers to those with dormant cards as a small stimulus to start using them again. Obviously, those who weren't using their cards will grab the bonus and return them to the sock drawer.
Old Nov 15, 2020, 6:45 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
I also received the lower offer by email (3x, but no 50,000 points kicker). I had to enroll through the link in the email. I tried to look for this offer in my online account without going through the email link first, and could not find the any offer. So I used the link which asked for my account number and online password.

I hardly used my Aviator Red this year, may be just once or twice for less than $100 in total.

This offer seems to be just like the Chase offers, and American Express offers. If you use that card on a particular merchant regularly, you would not get an offer on that card for that merchant. I go to Lowes regularly this year and used my CSR and other cards. The only offer I got from Chase for Lowes is the IHG card in the sock drawer. I guess the concept is not to reward you for what you are already doing, but to offer reward to make you starting using a particular card again. (Get it into you wallet from the sock drawer)
Old Nov 21, 2020, 1:22 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by moe8555
I called in now and they wouldn't let me, claiming an offer has to be tied to the account.
Oddly enough, the upgrade offer appeared today. Funny timing! Looks like I'll be joining the Silver club! As a no-status, the 2 companion tickets, wifi credit, luggage, and food credit should easily offset the fee and much more.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 3:23 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Hi, my daughter has the red card and regularly uses it for Venmo payments (yes, I know, not a good practice). For 3 years, Barclay's has treated these as Purchases, regardless of the end use, even dozens of transfers to friends. The last two (occurred in November), however, were classified as Cash Advances and triggered cash advance fees and interest. She did online chat with Barclay's and the rep says it depends on the merchant code and that nothing has changed on their side. When she pointed out that she's done dozens of similar transactions that weren't classified as Cash Advances, he said, "that's on us and we won't retroactively charge you for them" (how gracious).

A few questions for the crowd here:
- Has anyone else experienced this (though I assume most of you are wise enough not to link venmo to a credit card)?
- Does it seem likely that Barclay's can actually access venmo's merchant codes to determine what is Cash vs a Purchase?
- Any ideas for pushing back on the two Cash Advance fees?

It's not a huge deal if I'm end up stuck with them and we have delinked venmo from the card to avoid future fees.

Thanks

Last edited by bosman; Nov 21, 2020 at 3:34 pm
Old Nov 21, 2020, 5:06 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by bosman
A few questions for the crowd here:
- Has anyone else experienced this (though I assume most of you are wise enough not to link venmo to a credit card)?
- Does it seem likely that Barclay's can actually access venmo's merchant codes to determine what is Cash vs a Purchase?
- Any ideas for pushing back on the two Cash Advance fees?
Apparently, it's a known issue.

Beware the Fees That Come With Some Money Transfers on Apps
But there has been a change in the way the money transfers are coded as they zip from your phone and move through the Visa and Mastercard payment networks. That change enables banks to also charge their own, separate cash advance fees — typically $10 but sometimes much more — for payments made using credit cards on those networks. The fees don’t apply when customers make a purchase.

In other words, card-issuing banks asked that the apps and payment networks flag cash transfers to distinguish them from purchases. In the credit card world, cash advances are considered riskier and carry higher fees. Credit cards typically charge the fees when customers use the cards to obtain cash from an A.T.M. or to transfer money using services like Western Union. Credit cards also charge a much higher rate on the amount advanced, and there’s no grace period before the interest starts growing.

The change formally took effect in September [2019] after months of talks so that payment apps could give advance notice to their customers, said William Stickney, a Visa spokesman. It’s not yet clear how many banks are now charging for the cash transfers. A spokesman for Cash App said in an email that it appeared that “very few banks and cards are choosing to charge the fee.”

Chase is not charging its credit card holders the cash advance fee for peer-to-peer payments, a spokesman said. Citibank is charging the fees when the transactions are classified as a money transfer. Other big banks that issue credit cards, including Capital One and Wells Fargo, didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

bosman likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 6:05 am

When AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard says "cardmembers receive application fee credit for Global Entry, up to $100 every 5 years" do they mean exactly 5 years?

Case in point - I've now had Global Entry for 4.5 years and need to renew. When I initially signed up for Global Entry I received the statement credit, as expected but that was 4.5 years ago. As I read it, in order to receive a statement credit for Global Entry renewal, I need to wait 5 years from the initial sign-up, in which case my Global Entry will have expired.

So the question is simply, if you renew Global Entry at 4.5 years, do you still receive a statement credit, or will Barclays say "Sorry, less than 5 years..no statement credit"?

Last edited by SouthernCross; Dec 17, 2020 at 6:13 am
Old Dec 17, 2020, 12:18 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by SouthernCross
When AAdvantage Aviator Silver Mastercard says "cardmembers receive application fee credit for Global Entry, up to $100 every 5 years" do they mean exactly 5 years?

Case in point - I've now had Global Entry for 4.5 years and need to renew. When I initially signed up for Global Entry I received the statement credit, as expected but that was 4.5 years ago. As I read it, in order to receive a statement credit for Global Entry renewal, I need to wait 5 years from the initial sign-up, in which case my Global Entry will have expired.

So the question is simply, if you renew Global Entry at 4.5 years, do you still receive a statement credit, or will Barclays say "Sorry, less than 5 years..no statement credit"?
I had a similar issue with the Citi AAdvantage Executive Card. They refused to issue the statement credit for the Global Entry renewal fee "because it has not been five years" until I threatened to cancel the card (my annual spend is generally $40-60K).

FWIIW, Chase will issue GE application fee statement credit every four years to United Explorer MileagePlus cardholders.
SouthernCross likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 5:38 pm

Anyone that has the 60k AA miles offer meet the spend and have the miles post yet? Wonder how long we have to wait and if it's by statement.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
Anyone that has the 60k AA miles offer meet the spend and have the miles post yet? Wonder how long we have to wait and if it's by statement.
Miles post on the statement date after meeting the min spend/purchase and paying the annual fee in full. If you haven't had a statement yet and want the miles on your first statement, push your total balance plus the AF amount from your bank (so you're overpaying by the AF amount) and you'll get it on your first statement. If you wait to pay the AF, the miles will be on your second statement.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 11:14 pm

Thank you Drwaz99 is this offer tied to the annual fee? I'm referring to the 10x for every $1 spent + 50k points after $3k spend offer, not a cc sign up offer.

I'm rereading the email with the offer and I just see that your account needs to be in good standing/active. I don't see anything about the annual fee. That said, my AF did post and I paid it recently and that statement closed with the spend closed already. So I guess it's just a matter of waiting a few more weeks for the next statement.

Since we have 60 days to get an AF refund, I still have a few weeks after the statement with the 60k points posts to get my AF refunded. Is it not advised to call to get my AF refund/cancel the card or do you think I need to keep the card open since it is still technically during the promotional period.

Thanks all.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 2:40 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
Thank you Drwaz99 is this offer tied to the annual fee? I'm referring to the 10x for every $1 spent + 50k points after $3k spend offer, not a cc sign up offer.

I'm rereading the email with the offer and I just see that your account needs to be in good standing/active. I don't see anything about the annual fee. That said, my AF did post and I paid it recently and that statement closed with the spend closed already. So I guess it's just a matter of waiting a few more weeks for the next statement.

Since we have 60 days to get an AF refund, I still have a few weeks after the statement with the 60k points posts to get my AF refunded. Is it not advised to call to get my AF refund/cancel the card or do you think I need to keep the card open since it is still technically during the promotional period.

Thanks all.
Oops, my apologies, I thought you were talking about the SUB. Barclays tends to post things with statements and not before, so you should expect it then. I haven't heard of Barclays clawing back and special offers/SUBs but if it were me, I'd keep it open. But I think you're probably ok either way. Just make sure to wait for the bonus points to hit your AA acount.
cruisingmickey likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 6:58 am

An offer like that would have me keep the card open another year even if I had planned on closing it prior to the offer. It honestly just seems like the right thing to do after receiving such a generous offer...

(I only received a lesser 4X offer for a number of stores.)
cruisingmickey likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.