Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ZenFlyer
AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards from BarclayCard
There are five AAdvantage-linked Aviator-branded cards by Barclaycard. Two of them can be applied for directly, the other three are upgrades or downgrades after receiving a Red card.

The Many Flavors of Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator

Where can I see information on all available Barclays Barclaycard AAdvantage cards?

Aviator Red (On AA.com)
Aviator Silver (On AA.com)
Aviator Business (On AA.com)
Aviator Red applications are available at the airport, in flight, or online at https://www.barclaycardus.com/.

Red cardholders may receive an offer to upgrade to Aviator Silver after a period of time that varies, usually 3-11 months. The offer appears in the online "Offers" section, if it is declined there may be no simple way to receive the upgrade. Be careful with your clicking! Silver benefits begin at the start of the next statement, but the increased annual fee won't hit until the next card-member year starts.

Aviator Silver Vs Red
Annual Fee: Silver $199 Red $99
Miles on AA Purchases: Silver 3x Red 2x
Miles on hotels and car rentals: Silver 2x, Red 1x
Miles on all other purchases: Silver 1x, Red 1x
Bonus Loyalty Points: Silver 5k LP after $20k/$40k/$50k Per Status Year Red None
In-Flight Food & Beverage: Silver $25 back/day Red 25% back
Wifi Credits: Silver $50/anniversary year Red $25/anniversary year
Companion Ticket: Silver 2 Companions Red 1 Companion (Minimum Anniversary-Year Spend Required for both)
PreCheck/Global Entry: Silver $100 credit Red No Credit

Card Benefit Details

FlyerTalk thread Citi & Barclaycard AAdvantage Credit Card Free Domestic Checked Bag / Baggage

Aviator Silver Bonus Loyalty Points: Bonuses are based on spend during status year, not anniversary year. When upgrading to Silver your Red spending will carry over. Five thousand Loyalty Points after spending $20k/$40k/$50k. You cannot stack multiple Silver accounts to earn this multiple times.

Companion Certificate: $20k in anniversary year spend required, issued about 45 days after you annual fee hits. Red gets one companion, Silver can have two. $99+tax for companions, round-trip 48 contiguous US States only unless you live in Alaska or Hawaii, in which case you may fly from your home state to the 48.

Print Wikipost

Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Silver and Red Cards (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2018, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by j2grady
I do have the internet... I was looking more for a few DPs.

Thanks for the reply though...
Are you under the assumption that you are the only person writing a question and wanting an
answer on this forum thread? Nope, not talking to you in particular, sorry you thought so.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by hitherandyon
Are you under the assumption that you are the only person writing a question and wanting an
answer on this forum thread? Nope, not talking to you in particular, sorry you thought so.
its me who is sorry... i quoted the wrong response

It was just an error... my bad.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
I find it odd I can't seem to find this answer, the Wiki doesn't seem to clarify in real time.

I understand the Silver Aviator can earn 3000 EQDs after $50K spend now(no thanks!)

But it still earns the same EQMs, 5 K per $20K spend, correct, up to 10K with 40K spend?

I've not heard of change with the Citi Exec so assume it also gets 10K EQMs with 40K spend still.

Can anyone confirm this? It's making more sense to do mileage runs instead of using this given the spend requirements. More fun anyway, if you have the time.(a bit of problem for me.)
Old Nov 1, 2018, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jonesdds
I find it odd I can't seem to find this answer, the Wiki doesn't seem to clarify in real time.

I understand the Silver Aviator can earn 3000 EQDs after $50K spend now(no thanks!)

But it still earns the same EQMs, 5 K per $20K spend, correct, up to 10K with 40K spend?

I've not heard of change with the Citi Exec so assume it also gets 10K EQMs with 40K spend still.

Can anyone confirm this? It's making more sense to do mileage runs instead of using this given the spend requirements. More fun anyway, if you have the time.(a bit of problem for me.)
Yes you can get a total of 20K of EQM if you have both CC. In regards to mileage runs v CC spend. Some people don't have time for mileage runs but can spend on CC to get the needed EQM's. Just like this game, multi ways of playing.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:32 pm

I was under the assumption your EQDs and EQMs updated at the closing of a statement? My account doesn't show Gold status yet. Unless I am misunderstanding? I'll be traveling with my infant, husband, and MIL in less than two weeks an would very much enjoy the perks of Gold. I also made a flight purchase today and paid for seat upgrades so it would be nice to receive the discount. I have a screen shot of my account but it won't allow me to add it unless I make 5 posts.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by IamVikki
I was under the assumption your EQDs and EQMs updated at the closing of a statement? My account doesn't show Gold status yet. Unless I am misunderstanding? I'll be traveling with my infant, husband, and MIL in less than two weeks an would very much enjoy the perks of Gold. I also made a flight purchase today and paid for seat upgrades so it would be nice to receive the discount. I have a screen shot of my account but it won't allow me to add it unless I make 5 posts.
Per data points I've been seeing, so far this year they've been posting EQM/EQD in batches around the 10th of the month.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 8:33 am

Experience with the new rules?

Has anyone experienced upgrading to the Silver after the new terms have come out recently?

Trying to figure out the best strategy here:

I've just received my second statement since opening the card (statement close date is the 3rd of the Month). I have already spent $25K on the card to date. I can meet the $50K spend to get the 6000 EQDs and 10,000 EQMs, which I'd like to do. However, I don't want to put any additional money on this card unless I can upgrade to Silver. Since my 4th statement will close on Jan 3, 2019, I want to be sure my spend is hit before the end of the year. I assume I need to hit the spend AND have the statement close before Jan 1. So, my strategy was going to be to spend to hit $50K this month, upgrade to the Silver immediately after the 3rd statement closes and then upgrade to Silver (If the new terms still allow one to be eligible to do so) in order to "instantly" have met my requirements.

Thoughts anyone? Is this sensical?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 11:03 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Is it possible to apply for Silver Aviator without having the red card?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 10:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by frebay
Is it possible to apply for Silver Aviator without having the red card?
Nope and this topic has been discussed.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by cooltyler
Has anyone experienced upgrading to the Silver after the new terms have come out recently?

I've just received my second statement since opening the card (statement close date is the 3rd of the Month). I have already spent $25K on the card to date. I can meet the $50K spend to get the 6000 EQDs and 10,000 EQMs, which I'd like to do. However, I don't want to put any additional money on this card unless I can upgrade to Silver. Since my 4th statement will close on Jan 3, 2019, I want to be sure my spend is hit before the end of the year. I assume I need to hit the spend AND have the statement close before Jan 1. So, my strategy was going to be to spend to hit $50K this month, upgrade to the Silver immediately after the 3rd statement closes and then upgrade to Silver (If the new terms still allow one to be eligible to do so) in order to "instantly" have met my requirements.

Just wanted to add an update saying that when I called in, I was told they weren't upgrading people until after January 1st. Has anyone successfully upgraded on the phone or online since the new changes took effect?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP

It doesn't matter when the statement closes. Based on my experience (and others on FT) last year, you will get EQDs for 2018 if the charges that put you over 50K occurred in 2018. It's true that the EQDs won't transfer to AA until after your statement closes in January, but they will back date them so they apply to 2018.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I am microscopically close to $50K spend on the Silver card. I will go over my EQM's and EQD's for Plat Pro on December 5, and my statement date is December 6. I will not be traveling again in 2018.

What I want is the additional 3K EQD to post as late in the year as possible, so that they will carry over for 12-month rolling EQD's as long as possible.

Do I accomplish this by putting the last few dollars on the credit card on or after December 7?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by lmagnott
It doesn't matter when the statement closes. Based on my experience (and others on FT) last year, you will get EQDs for 2018 if the charges that put you over 50K occurred in 2018. It's true that the EQDs won't transfer to AA until after your statement closes in January, but they will back date them so they apply to 2018.
I appreciate the response. The big question, though, is whether I can get the Silver card this year. I currently have the Red card and will be at the 90+ day mark in the beginning of December. Trying to figure out if I should wait until then or just try to find a way to "earn" 3000EQDs as cheaply as possible with flights.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by redtop43
I am microscopically close to $50K spend on the Silver card. I will go over my EQM's and EQD's for Plat Pro on December 5, and my statement date is December 6. I will not be traveling again in 2018.

What I want is the additional 3K EQD to post as late in the year as possible, so that they will carry over for 12-month rolling EQD's as long as possible.

Do I accomplish this by putting the last few dollars on the credit card on or after December 7?
EQMs/EQDs seem to post in batches on the 10th of each month. However, they'll be backdated to whatever date you actually crossed the threshold on.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 6:58 pm

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
I appreciate the response. The big question, though, is whether I can get the Silver card this year. I currently have the Red card and will be at the 90+ day mark in the beginning of December. Trying to figure out if I should wait until then or just try to find a way to "earn" 3000EQDs as cheaply as possible with flights.
I can’t imagine how you couldn’t earn $3K EQDs more cheaply with flights than cc spend barring a promo for multiple EQDs per $ spent—which I’ve never seen from AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.