Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Award Reinstatement / Miles Redeposit / Expired Miles Reinstatement (Awards secured by 30 June 2020)

NOTE: This thread is obsolescent, and doesn’t apply to awards secured after 30 June 2020. See this thread for changes in effect 1 July 2020.

AAdvantage award reinstatement / reissuance charges Link

Prior to ticketing, you may change your AAdvantage travel award reservations with no charge incurred for a number of stipulated changes. However, if your tickets are reissued after the original ticketing, a charge may apply for each ticket. This service charge is paid at the time your ticket is reissued and is subject to change without notice. Upgrade, companion and discount award travel is subject to restrictions of fare purchased.

AAdvantage miles will be reinstated for unused and unexpired awards upon payment of a processing fee. For each additional award reinstatement from the same account at the same time, an additional charge will be collected. These charges are payable by credit card. Gift cards may not be used.

Expired tickets will not be reinstated. If a portion of the miles used to claim an award ticket has expired, only those miles that have not expired will be reinstated. Partially used tickets will not be reinstated.
Reinstating flight awards Link

Contact American Airlines Reservations for assistance with canceling your flight award reservation and requesting mileage reinstatement.

You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for a wholly unused AAdvantage award ticket and if the ticket has not expired
  • The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket.

• Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket

• This fee will be waived for Executive Platinum (and Concierge Key) members using miles from their account
NOTE: If bookings are on separate PNRs, AA is likely to want $150 each, according to various member posts in other threads. Push back by saying you know that the computer wants to charge $150 each, but this explicitly contradicts the published rules (assuming miles were charged to the same account), so could the agent please manually adjust the amount charged.

Expired miles may also be reinstated within an 18 month period of time, but these will generally require a reinstatement fee or a reingagement requirement that will require certain levels of AA travel. There’s no other way known to reactivate an account with miles reinstated, though it’s theoretically possible to petition AAdvantage customer service for mercy in force majeure issues (e.g. military deployment or other condition beyond one’s control). Contact AA for your specific situation.

Print Wikipost

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Old Apr 11, 2015, 9:45 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Changing the date and hoping for a schedule change is legitimate, but certainly not guaranteed and therefore not really a "workaround".

Note that there are restrictions about changing (for free) routing on a non-OW partner award.
Old Apr 11, 2015, 10:58 pm

Award Reinstatement Work Around... Thoughts?

That's right. I had forgotten about non-OW restrictions. Worst case scenario, I should be able to cancel the flight ~300 days from now & pay $150 to get the miles back if the flights don't change, right?
Old Apr 12, 2015, 3:21 am

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by coltonatx
Worst case scenario, I should be able to cancel the flight ~300 days from now & pay $150 to get the miles back if the flights don't change, right?
Yes, I think that is the worst case. Unless the fee goes up in the meantime (or some other such rule change) and there is no grandfathering. I'd say it is a good approach provided you don't need the miles right now.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:19 pm

No Show: Redeposit Miles

Purchased an award ticket for a flaky family member. Already paid a close-in fee, but want to be ready for the redeposit if they don't show up for the flight.

Will AA allow me to redeposit if they just no show for the outbound?

No status, so I know I'll get hit with the $200 fee (or whatever it is).

**The potential $280 cost is worth finding out if family member is worth wasting our time, effort, and money on in the future**
Old Apr 26, 2015, 4:01 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
No Show: Redeposit Miles

Sympathy here. We have a few nuts in the family tree.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:01 am

Convert award ticket to revenue without redeposit fee?

Here's my situation:

In March I booked first class award tickets at the saver level for my wife and I for a flight to SJU next Jan, one-way. The itinerary isn't ideal, as it has two connections and about 14 hours total, but it was all that was available at the saver level.

In April I got the Citi Prestige and met the min spend for the bonus. There are better flights that aren't available for saver awards, but are only about $500. I'd like to use pay with points from citi ThankYou at 1.6 cents a piece to buy the more convenient flight, I have just enough ThankYou points to cover the whole cost.

Question: is it at all possible to do this without paying the redeposit fee? I'm guessing not, but there's a lot about airline ticketing I don't know so thought I'd ask about it.

Thanks!
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If I understand it correctly

You have an award flight booked with AAdvantage Miles

You now want to book a revenue flight through Citi, using Citi's credit card rewards points

If this is the case, then you will need to cancel the award flight and , assuming you want the miles back, will have to pay the redeposit fee which will be 2 x $150 is both awards came from different accounts or $150+$25 if both came from the same account
Old Jun 28, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by klepton
In March I booked first class award tickets at the saver level for my wife and I for a flight to SJU next Jan, one-way. The itinerary isn't ideal, as it has two connections and about 14 hours total, but it was all that was available at the saver level.
You booked ten months in advance? Has there been a schedule change >60 minutes, or a change of carrier (maybe sub'ing American Eagle for mainline)? Such a condition could allow you to redeposit free. You can't have duplicate bookings so assess just how long you're willing to wait to book the Citi tickets.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:25 am

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
One thing that you can do is change your award booking to next February, because date changes are free. Then you can use your ThankYou points to book the flight that you want. Hopefully, between now and February, there will be a schedule change that will allow you to redeposit the award for free.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold . Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum.
Advice on miles redeposit fee for BKK award flight I cancelled

I would like to ask your advice on an issue I have.

I was due to fly this weekend to Bangkok for a 2 week vacation .

My wife and I had 2 award bookings in First class from DFW to BKK.

Following the terrible situation there in the last few days we decided to cancel our whole trip as we didnt feel comfortable particularly as so many countries issued travel advisories.

I informed AA of my decision and they informed me that we would have to pay a $150 fee each for restocking. I argued that with 23 govts issuing advisories plus all of the Asian airlines including Qantas waiving all fees for changes and cancellations in and out of Bangkok that the fee should be waived.

I was told to write to Customer relations using the web form. I did so but got a pretty standard reply that the $150 each would stand.

I find it pretty incredulous but I would like to get unbiased opinions from the posters here.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Were the miles for the two tickets taken from different AAdvantage accounts, or from a single account? If from one account, the re-deposit fee is $150 for the first award, and $25 for each additional award re-deposited at the same time.

There is no charge to simply change the travel dates on the awards to a future date (if you can find F award seats). If you do so, and there is a subsequent significant schedule change (or cancellation) of the new flights, then you will be able to re-deposit your miles at no charge.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Were the miles for the two tickets taken from different AAdvantage accounts, or from a single account? If from one account, the re-deposit fee is $150 for the first award, and $25 for each additional award re-deposited at the same time.

There is no charge to simply change the travel dates on the awards to a future date (if you can find F award seats). If you do so, and there is a subsequent significant schedule change (or cancellation) of the new flights, then you will be able to re-deposit your miles at no charge.
Thanks for the quick reply.

It was for 2 different accounts, my wifes and mine so $150 each.

I accept the ruling under normal circumstances but i cant accept that they arent more accommodating due to the circumstances.

As for rebooking , its just not possible. We had decided on these 2 weeks many months ago and just cant arrange the additional time off later in the year. I doubt that there would be availability in F (award saver) even if we could .though.
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

This seems like simply a voluntary cancellation on your part and the fee for mileage redeposit ( for non EP members ) is $150

If the flight has been cancelled , then would reasonably expect free mileage redeposit

I don't see that you have anything to complain about and not surprised with the response from customer relations
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
This seems like simply a voluntary cancellation on your part and the fee for mileage redeposit ( for non EP members ) is $150

If the flight has been cancelled , then would reasonably expect free mileage redeposit

I don't see that you have anything to complain about and not surprised with the response from customer relations
I am not being flippant in any way but you are aware of whats happened in Bangkok ?

I can assure you the decision was not taken lightly to cancel but i just couldnt put my family at risk .
Old Aug 20, 2015, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold

"As for rebooking, its just not possible. We had decided on these 2 weeks many months ago and just cant arrange the additional time off later in the year. I doubt that there would be availability in F (award saver) even if we could .though."

Of course it's possible. You might or might not be able to actually make the trip in the future (maybe you'll both lose your jobs, maybe one of you will win the lottery), but you can certainly re-book now (if you can find F award space), and hope that future circumstances will allow you to re-deposit the miles for free.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.