Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 14, 19, 10:31 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
Award Reinstatement / Miles Redeposit / Expired Miles Reinstatement
AAdvantage award reinstatement / reissuance charges Link

Prior to ticketing, you may change your AAdvantage travel award reservations with no charge incurred for a number of stipulated changes. However, if your tickets are reissued after the original ticketing, a charge may apply for each ticket. This service charge is paid at the time your ticket is reissued and is subject to change without notice. Upgrade, companion and discount award travel is subject to restrictions of fare purchased.

AAdvantage miles will be reinstated for unused and unexpired awards upon payment of a processing fee. For each additional award reinstatement from the same account at the same time, an additional charge will be collected. These charges are payable by credit card. Gift cards may not be used.

Expired tickets will not be reinstated. If a portion of the miles used to claim an award ticket has expired, only those miles that have not expired will be reinstated. Partially used tickets will not be reinstated.
Reinstating flight awards Link

Contact American Airlines Reservations for assistance with canceling your flight award reservation and requesting mileage reinstatement.

You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for a wholly unused AAdvantage award ticket and if the ticket has not expired

• The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket.

• Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket

• This fee will be waived for Executive Platinum (and Concierge Key) members using miles from their account
NOTE: If bookings are on separate PNRs, AA is likely to want $150 each, according to various member posts in other threads. Push back by saying you know that the computer wants to charge $150 each, but this explicitly contradicts the published rules (assuming miles were charged to the same account), so could the agent please manually adjust the amount charged.

Expired miles may also be reinstated within an 18 month period of time, but these will generally require a reinstatement fee or a reingagement requirement that will require certain levels of AA travel. There’s no other way known to reactivate an account with miles reinstated, though it’s theoretically possible to petition AAdvantage customer service for mercy in force majeure issues (e.g. military deployment or other condition beyond one’s control). Contact AA for your specific situation.
Print Wikipost

Old Mar 24, 20, 3:36 pm

Programs: CO Platinum / BA Gold
The underlying carrier (Ethiad) has cancelled my award flights next month.

I can still see them on aa.com but there are no flight details.

Should I cancel them on the website? Or leave them as they are and hope a redeposit of miles/taxes will happen automatically?
Old Mar 24, 20, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by isle-hawg View Post
Called in 3/21 midday. Miles redeposited early this morning for both trips.
Did you get your $5.60 refund also? My miles were redeposited several days ago, but still no refund showing up on my credit card.
Old Mar 25, 20, 2:31 am

Programs: HH Gold, IHG Platinum, BW Diamond
Used twitter and cancelled American airlines award tickets on Qatar metal, yesterday. Miles redeposit during 2 hours. Now I am waiting for taxes and fees.
Old Mar 25, 20, 10:40 am

This headline:
The Keys closed to visitors on Sunday just days after shutting down all hotels, motels and short-term rentals.
AA still wants to charge me a redeposit fee for awards to EYW in early April. And they wonder why people are criticizing the proposed airline bailout. Half tempted to go to the airport and fly to Dallas, by guess is I wouldn't be allowed to board to Key West as a tourist... trip in vain and flown back to Seattle.
Old Mar 25, 20, 6:18 pm

Are new web special award reservations booked by April 15 covered by the no fee change policy?
Old Mar 26, 20, 9:37 am

I have tried twice so far to cancel my award flight that takes place in late May. All AA metal domestic US. The first agent said I would still have to pay the $150 redeposit fee and the second agent late last week said that they are only reinstating miles and waiving redeposit fees for flights up to the end of april. If anyone has had success with getting miles reinstated without a fee for flights after April, please let me know! I'm just curious if there is anything I need to say over the phone.
Old Mar 26, 20, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by ajumbaje View Post
I have tried twice so far to cancel my award flight that takes place in late May. All AA metal domestic US. The first agent said I would still have to pay the $150 redeposit fee and the second agent late last week said that they are only reinstating miles and waiving redeposit fees for flights up to the end of april. If anyone has had success with getting miles reinstated without a fee for flights after April, please let me know! I'm just curious if there is anything I need to say over the phone.
My 2nd request last week to cancel a May 3 flight FCO-JFK without redeposit fee was finally granted, but not without mild resistance on AA's part. Miles were redeposited quickly, but taxes (since they were BA flights, quite a hefty amount) have not shown up yet. I'd call every few days and stay polite but firm. Maybe because your flights are domestic and later in the month, there is more resistance, whereas my flights were between the European Covid hotspot and the American Covid hotspot.
Old Mar 26, 20, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by Bergy Bits View Post
My 2nd request last week to cancel a May 3 flight FCO-JFK without redeposit fee was finally granted, but not without mild resistance on AA's part. Miles were redeposited quickly, but taxes (since they were BA flights, quite a hefty amount) have not shown up yet. I'd call every few days and stay polite but firm. Maybe because your flights are domestic and later in the month, there is more resistance, whereas my flights were between the European Covid hotspot and the American Covid hotspot.
Good to know - may try again tonight/tomorrow
Old Mar 26, 20, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by ajumbaje View Post
I was successful for my May 11th flight from DCA to TPA (Web Saver award). I cancelled it online and then called. All I said was that I wanted to get my miles reinstated, and without any resistance, she said she was reinstating my miles and refunding my taxes ($5.60 per ticket). I got the miles back within 36 hours, and a few days later I saw the refund on my credit card.
Old Mar 26, 20, 6:19 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by rj7878 View Post
I was successful for my May 11th flight from DCA to TPA (Web Saver award). I cancelled it online and then called. All I said was that I wanted to get my miles reinstated, and without any resistance, she said she was reinstating my miles and refunding my taxes ($5.60 per ticket). I got the miles back within 36 hours, and a few days later I saw the refund on my credit card.
Thanks for the idea. I will go ahead and try the "cancel online" approach and then call the Mexico/MTY call center to ask for the redeposit. If the $5.60 is returned to my card, good, if not, also ok. for me, the only important thing is for the miles going back into my account on a Web Special I bought for May 17. If Spanish call center doesn't work then I will call the US one, which usually takes a little longer to get connected.
Old Mar 27, 20, 4:15 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time ... US Silver, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bayleys View Post
Are new web special award reservations booked by April 15 covered by the no fee change policy?
Also curious about this, if anyone has any thoughts. Looking at booking a trip now to take in the fall with a web special. II''m hopeful that some sense of normalcy will have returned by then.
Old Mar 27, 20, 4:56 am

Do you know what's the policy for re-rooking/re-routing on award tickets? I booked a ticket DPS-KUL-LHR my MH for the 29.3. My first leg got cancelled so they they re-booked me on the 1.4. The problem is I need to get back earlier. I saw there is are other flight on the 29.3 DPS-KUL-LHR by MH, just a few hours later. When I call AAdvantage they tell me, that they see this flight but there is no award availability (but it's bookable with cash) so they can't book me on this flight.
Old Mar 27, 20, 8:06 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by bayleys View Post
I like to know as well. Rebooked OGG trip and it's half the miles than original April trip.
Old Mar 27, 20, 8:40 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, TSA vilifier extraordinaire, Once upon a time ... US Silver, AA Gold
This is what I found in the 3/25 AA press release:

Any ticket purchased from March 1 at 4:30 p.m. CT and April 15, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT will not incur change fees prior to travel.

This is available for any of American’s non-refundable published fares.

http://s21.q4cdn.com/616071541/files...IS-03-2020.pdf

I suppose it is open to interpretation whether a web special award is a published fare.
Old Mar 27, 20, 9:44 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
Originally Posted by dwcatty View Post
This is what I found in the 3/25 AA press release:

Any ticket purchased from March 1 at 4:30 p.m. CT and April 15, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. CT will not incur change fees prior to travel.

This is available for any of American’s non-refundable published fares.

http://s21.q4cdn.com/616071541/files...IS-03-2020.pdf

I suppose it is open to interpretation whether a web special award is a published fare.
Just found my answer. It excludes award.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/..._locale=en_US#

• We’ll waive the change fee only on published non-refundable tickets. AAdvantage® award tickets are excluded.
Furthermore, the Penalty section on revenue fares have been updated to allow for no charges on change. The penalty section of award fare rule (on purchase page) did not similar language.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: