Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Award Reinstatement / Miles Redeposit / Expired Miles Reinstatement (Awards secured by 30 June 2020)

NOTE: This thread is obsolescent, and doesn’t apply to awards secured after 30 June 2020. See this thread for changes in effect 1 July 2020.

AAdvantage award reinstatement / reissuance charges Link

Prior to ticketing, you may change your AAdvantage travel award reservations with no charge incurred for a number of stipulated changes. However, if your tickets are reissued after the original ticketing, a charge may apply for each ticket. This service charge is paid at the time your ticket is reissued and is subject to change without notice. Upgrade, companion and discount award travel is subject to restrictions of fare purchased.

AAdvantage miles will be reinstated for unused and unexpired awards upon payment of a processing fee. For each additional award reinstatement from the same account at the same time, an additional charge will be collected. These charges are payable by credit card. Gift cards may not be used.

Expired tickets will not be reinstated. If a portion of the miles used to claim an award ticket has expired, only those miles that have not expired will be reinstated. Partially used tickets will not be reinstated.
Reinstating flight awards Link

Contact American Airlines Reservations for assistance with canceling your flight award reservation and requesting mileage reinstatement.

You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for a wholly unused AAdvantage award ticket and if the ticket has not expired
  • The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket.

• Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket

• This fee will be waived for Executive Platinum (and Concierge Key) members using miles from their account
NOTE: If bookings are on separate PNRs, AA is likely to want $150 each, according to various member posts in other threads. Push back by saying you know that the computer wants to charge $150 each, but this explicitly contradicts the published rules (assuming miles were charged to the same account), so could the agent please manually adjust the amount charged.

Expired miles may also be reinstated within an 18 month period of time, but these will generally require a reinstatement fee or a reingagement requirement that will require certain levels of AA travel. There’s no other way known to reactivate an account with miles reinstated, though it’s theoretically possible to petition AAdvantage customer service for mercy in force majeure issues (e.g. military deployment or other condition beyond one’s control). Contact AA for your specific situation.

Print Wikipost

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Old Jun 13, 2019, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Definitely was not putting the number in proactively when the reservation was made on the website, so that's on me. Because the miles on those routes were small, and the Miles balance steadily increasing incrementally on the card, it seemed "about right". I just didn't realize until this afternoon it was only from the purchase $$. *Sigh*

How far can I go back to submit the uncredited miles?
Twelve months, apparently:

https://www.aa.com/i18nForward.do?lo...stingMiles.jsp
Old Jun 13, 2019, 11:10 pm

Thanks Guv. Submitted my meager AA total of 15K miles from the past year. They each posted within seconds.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
Thanks Guv. Submitted my meager AA total of 15K miles from the past year. They each posted within seconds.
Congrats!
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:37 am

Avoiding award redeposit fee

Does this strategy work to avoid the award redeposit fee? Have an award reservation for a group of people and one person is unable to go. I believe AA will allow me to do a no cost change of that person to their own PNR for future travel with the same city pair. If I change to a date far enough in the future and a decent schedule change occurs, would they then allow the ticket to be canceled?

I'm Gold but I don't think that matters on this.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stevehuff
Does this strategy work to avoid the award redeposit fee? Have an award reservation for a group of people and one person is unable to go. I believe AA will allow me to do a no cost change of that person to their own PNR for future travel with the same city pair. If I change to a date far enough in the future and a decent schedule change occurs, would they then allow the ticket to be canceled?

I'm Gold but I don't think that matters on this.
Yes, AA long as there is a significant-enough schedule change in the future, that strategy will work.

Note: AA will always allow you to cancel an award ticket, but that's not what you're interested in. You want circumstances that allow for a free redeposit of the associated miles.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 11:52 am

Thank you for the quick reply. We'll see what happens with future schedules, and if a significant schedule change does not occur, I will cancel and pay the redeposit fee.
Old Jun 14, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
If American does replace fixed-price Saver awards with dynamic pricing, free changes will be effectively dead. Maybe then AA will be willing to make a redeposit fee exception since flights were booked under the expectation of free date changes?

Not that I wish for you that that happens. Sorry.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: American Airlines
I found LAX-JFK U space two months from now that I want to book for a family member with miles from my account. Not entirely sure if they'll be able to fly it, but I'm also loathe to not book it while I have the opportunity.

They don't have AA status. I'm EXP.

If I end up canceling the ticket, will the reinstatement fee be waived since the miles were from an EXP account or will the fee apply since the person flying doesn't have AA status?

I've browsed back in the thread and didn't find anything addressing this situation. Would appreciate any help.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Ivan Denisovich
I found LAX-JFK U space two months from now that I want to book for a family member with miles from my account. Not entirely sure if they'll be able to fly it, but I'm also loathe to not book it while I have the opportunity.

They don't have AA status. I'm EXP.

If I end up canceling the ticket, will the reinstatement fee be waived since the miles were from an EXP account or will the fee apply since the person flying doesn't have AA status?

I've browsed back in the thread and didn't find anything addressing this situation. Would appreciate any help.
For reinstatement fee purposes, it's the account that the miles are pulled from that matters. So there would be no fee to cancel and redeposit any award booked from your account, regardless of who the actual pax is.
Ivan Denisovich likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:38 pm

Avoiding $150 Redeposit Fee - Change in departure time (to merge)

I am familiar with AA's policy on award changes to origin/destination and the $150 redeposit fee. I am looking to change my destination (same origin) and I just noticed that my flight departure time varies from the original time listed in my confirmation email. The difference is only 5 minutes (0650 vs 0655), but am I correct in assuming this will allow me to cancel the award and redeposit the miles without the $150 fee?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Five minutes shouldn't be nearly enough of a schedule change.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Five minutes shouldn't be nearly enough of a schedule change.
I wasn't sure if any schedule change allowed for canceling without a fee. I'd imagine policies generally aren't created to allow for CSR discretion.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA PLT PRO
Originally Posted by JohnnyGraz
I wasn't sure if any schedule change allowed for canceling without a fee. I'd imagine policies generally aren't created to allow for CSR discretion.

Don't quote me on this but I think the policy is they would allow a no-fee change / refund if the schedule change is over 1 hour.

A couple of years ago I booked a flight on a wrong date but luckily found out the scheduled changed by an hour so I was able to change the flight to the correct date.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Schedule changes: On international awards, schedule changes of two hours or longer, or those breaking connections by bringing them below MCT / minimum connection times, flight cancellations, generally may be cancelled and redeposited without fees, or engender greater flexibility in changes.

Voluntary Award Change / changes: date, time, routing, airline, co-terminal, etc.
That thread’s Wikipost contains some useful information.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by JDiver
That thread’s Wikipost contains some useful information.
This is great, thank you
JDiver likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.