Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Award Reinstatement / Miles Redeposit / Expired Miles Reinstatement (Awards secured by 30 June 2020)

NOTE: This thread is obsolescent, and doesn’t apply to awards secured after 30 June 2020. See this thread for changes in effect 1 July 2020.

AAdvantage award reinstatement / reissuance charges Link

Prior to ticketing, you may change your AAdvantage travel award reservations with no charge incurred for a number of stipulated changes. However, if your tickets are reissued after the original ticketing, a charge may apply for each ticket. This service charge is paid at the time your ticket is reissued and is subject to change without notice. Upgrade, companion and discount award travel is subject to restrictions of fare purchased.

AAdvantage miles will be reinstated for unused and unexpired awards upon payment of a processing fee. For each additional award reinstatement from the same account at the same time, an additional charge will be collected. These charges are payable by credit card. Gift cards may not be used.

Expired tickets will not be reinstated. If a portion of the miles used to claim an award ticket has expired, only those miles that have not expired will be reinstated. Partially used tickets will not be reinstated.
Reinstating flight awards Link

Contact American Airlines Reservations for assistance with canceling your flight award reservation and requesting mileage reinstatement.

You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for a wholly unused AAdvantage award ticket and if the ticket has not expired
  • The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket.

• Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket

• This fee will be waived for Executive Platinum (and Concierge Key) members using miles from their account
NOTE: If bookings are on separate PNRs, AA is likely to want $150 each, according to various member posts in other threads. Push back by saying you know that the computer wants to charge $150 each, but this explicitly contradicts the published rules (assuming miles were charged to the same account), so could the agent please manually adjust the amount charged.

Expired miles may also be reinstated within an 18 month period of time, but these will generally require a reinstatement fee or a reingagement requirement that will require certain levels of AA travel. There’s no other way known to reactivate an account with miles reinstated, though it’s theoretically possible to petition AAdvantage customer service for mercy in force majeure issues (e.g. military deployment or other condition beyond one’s control). Contact AA for your specific situation.

Print Wikipost

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, VX Gold, VS Gold, HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Marriott Gold
Sorry if question already answered, but if i make an award reservation, how late can I cancel and get miles reinstated? Right up to departure time? (I am EXP so no fee to reinstate)
Old Aug 11, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
I had to cancel a flight where I had upgraded from J to F on a transcon with 15,000 miles. I called to get the miles back, and I discovered I had to pay $150 to get the miles reinstated.

Now I'm not sure if I want to pay. At $150, it is basically buying miles at a penny per mile, which is theoretically a good deal, but I don't know if I really need the miles. I have about 50,000 now and will add about 25,000 EQM across the rest of the year. Maybe it makes sense just to eat them.
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: Various Programs of Interest & LT Collector.
Does the award redemption apply to AA Partners booked on AA?

This might be a silly question to many people but I wasn't sure of the answer and would appreciate the help on it.

I'm starting to look at award reservations for our family of 4 going from PDX to France next Summer.

AA has saver availability for 3 people on flights AS2589, BA2278, followed by BA362.

Does the $150 + $25 per additional passenger reinstatement fee on a ticket apply to this even with it being flights on partners? If so, I'll probably speculatively book them and would cancel/reinstate if I find something better later.

Thanks so much for the help...
Old Aug 12, 2017, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The award redeposit fee is the same regardless which carrier you have booked

If the 4 tickets are all booked using miles from the same account, then would be $150 for the 1st award and $25 for subsequent awards

Last edited by Dave Noble; Aug 12, 2017 at 2:45 pm
Old Aug 12, 2017, 1:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
... then would be $150 for the 1st award and $50 for subsequent awards
$25, not $50
Old Aug 12, 2017, 2:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by JonNYC
$25, not $50
Indeed - I was thinking $25 but obviously typed $50
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:31 am

Redeposit fees exception (to merge)

guys - I've booked 3 passengers on separate PNR's using AA miles for an international trip flying on a partner airline. The redeposit fees will be $450 ($150 for each PNR). Does american make exceptions for events like a pregnancy (discovered after the ticket was booked) and if the doctor provides an unsafe to fly letter or they only provide exceptions for much graver incidents

Thanks
Old Aug 18, 2017, 6:57 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by sam007
guys - I've booked 3 passengers on separate PNR's using AA miles for an international trip flying on a partner airline. The redeposit fees will be $450 ($150 for each PNR). Does american make exceptions for events like a pregnancy (discovered after the ticket was booked) and if the doctor provides an unsafe to fly letter or they only provide exceptions for much graver incidents

Thanks
You can change the dates (up to a year?) for free. If outright cancel is your only option, the doctor's letter might buy you some leniency. I know of one recent case where a doctor's letter waived the change fee on a paid ticket (so it's not precisely the same scenario as yours).
Old Aug 18, 2017, 7:02 am

I booked my tickets on the 1st day possible so change is not an option since I've reached the 12 month limit
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: AA PLT 2MM, UA Silver, HHonors Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
what credit card did you use to pay the taxes on the award tickets? did the credit card have Trip Cancellation Insurance as a benefit that would cover the change/redeposit fee?
Old Aug 18, 2017, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by sam007

Thanks
If you booked all 3 from your account, then it should only be $150 + $25 + $25.

Its $150 for the first award and $25 for each subsequent award redeposited to the same account at the same time.
JonNYC likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
I have an AA-only J award for Asia 2 - US travel. If I were to change it to a CX F award, would the redeposit charge be waived in light of the upcabin, similar to how the change fee is waived when upcabining on revenue tickets?
Old Aug 21, 2017, 10:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by dkc192
I have an AA-only J award for Asia 2 - US travel. If I were to change it to a CX F award, would the redeposit charge be waived in light of the upcabin, similar to how the change fee is waived when upcabining on revenue tickets?
Yes.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: AA Plat, TK*G, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, etc
I have an international (JFK-HEL-SVO) partner (AY) award. If I no-show for it,

(1) can I change it to a future date with no fee as long as it is the same routing and within ticket validity (365 from issuance)?

(2) can I pay the $150 reinstatement fee and get the miles back as long as I request reinstatement within ticket validity (365 from issuance)?

or is the ticket validity not 365 from issuance, but actually through day of departure?

Thanks!
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:27 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
If I book an award for someone else with my miles, and they need to make a change which requires redeposit, will the miles be redeposited into my account, or theirs? If the former, do I need to be on the line as well, which was required for the initial booking?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.