Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Award Reinstatement / Miles Redeposit / Expired Miles Reinstatement (Awards secured by 30 June 2020)

NOTE: This thread is obsolescent, and doesn’t apply to awards secured after 30 June 2020. See this thread for changes in effect 1 July 2020.

AAdvantage award reinstatement / reissuance charges Link

Prior to ticketing, you may change your AAdvantage travel award reservations with no charge incurred for a number of stipulated changes. However, if your tickets are reissued after the original ticketing, a charge may apply for each ticket. This service charge is paid at the time your ticket is reissued and is subject to change without notice. Upgrade, companion and discount award travel is subject to restrictions of fare purchased.

AAdvantage miles will be reinstated for unused and unexpired awards upon payment of a processing fee. For each additional award reinstatement from the same account at the same time, an additional charge will be collected. These charges are payable by credit card. Gift cards may not be used.

Expired tickets will not be reinstated. If a portion of the miles used to claim an award ticket has expired, only those miles that have not expired will be reinstated. Partially used tickets will not be reinstated.
Reinstating flight awards Link

Contact American Airlines Reservations for assistance with canceling your flight award reservation and requesting mileage reinstatement.

You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for a wholly unused AAdvantage award ticket and if the ticket has not expired
  • The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket.

• Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket

• This fee will be waived for Executive Platinum (and Concierge Key) members using miles from their account
NOTE: If bookings are on separate PNRs, AA is likely to want $150 each, according to various member posts in other threads. Push back by saying you know that the computer wants to charge $150 each, but this explicitly contradicts the published rules (assuming miles were charged to the same account), so could the agent please manually adjust the amount charged.

Expired miles may also be reinstated within an 18 month period of time, but these will generally require a reinstatement fee or a reingagement requirement that will require certain levels of AA travel. There’s no other way known to reactivate an account with miles reinstated, though it’s theoretically possible to petition AAdvantage customer service for mercy in force majeure issues (e.g. military deployment or other condition beyond one’s control). Contact AA for your specific situation.

Print Wikipost

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2017, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Not exactly. Due to Saudi and UAE airspace denial, flights from North America must now fly south via the Iran FIR until they can intercept the Bahraini allowed corridor in the Bahrain FIR and fly west into HIA, and flights southeast must also take the Bahraini allocated corridor to Iranian airspace.

That all can entail significantly longer flights and possible ATC delays to use the Bahraini FIR corridor due to congestion.
I do understand (and was aware of) all that, but my use of the word "irrelevant" may have caused confusion.

In fact I was only responding to the case of the poster who wanted to cancel JFK-DOH-DAR without a fee. Both JFK-DOH and DOH-DAR are operating, with typically 30-60 min delays in the last few days except for one JFK flight on Tuesday. So most people are now making their connections (2.5 hr layover) and getting to DAR.

The current situation is certainly relevant in the general sense that it can cause and is causing delays; but AA would undoubtedly consider the current situation to be irrelevant to the poster's request for a fee waiver, given the facts regarding the actual flights in question.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 5:15 pm
wdc

i called AA, and they do have a travel waiver for QR flights booked before June 5th, and travelling before June 21st, so clearly it's not irrelevant.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 5:29 pm
Suspended

https://www.aasaleslink.com/en-US/do...ge_09JUN17.pdf
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:05 pm

Correct.

See column heading "Agency Procedures for Suspension of Service to/from
Qatar to Middle East Countries".

DAR is not a middle east(ern) country..
Old Jun 9, 2017, 9:44 pm
Suspended

deleted

Last edited by JonNYC; Jun 9, 2017 at 10:26 pm
Old Jun 17, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Safe to assume that the 24-hour rule for full refund doesn't apply to Award tickets? i.e. as long as "ticketed" $150 redeposit fee applies? I am reading the fine print and it lacks that verbiage which paid flights have.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 8:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Glb, MR Plat
Anyone experience longer than normal award reinstatements? Usually the miles are back within a day but it's been 4. Called the EP line and they said it's in the queue and sit tight..
Old Jun 21, 2017, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by tismfu
Safe to assume that the 24-hour rule for full refund doesn't apply to Award tickets? i.e. as long as "ticketed" $150 redeposit fee applies? I am reading the fine print and it lacks that verbiage which paid flights have.
Correct. The 24hr cancellation policy does not apply award tickets. Generally, though, you can still hold award tickets for up to 5 days (much more generous than being able to cancel 24 hrs after ticketing).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Elite
Update: I finally called reservations and after going through the automated prompts, I was connected to a rep that said she was "Executive Platinum Desk" even though I am only Gold. I asked for the miles to be redeposited based upon the schedule changes initiated by AA. Neither of us mentioned anything about rescheduling. She put me on a brief hold, but quickly returned to state she could redeposit the miles to my account without the redeposit fee. I am assuming this has nothing to do with the fact that I got connected to an EP rep, but I thought it was worth noting.

Originally Posted by number41
In February, I moved an award ticket for PHL-LAS out to September 15. I honestly don't remember the flight time on the re-booked ticket and I never received an email confirmation, but there are almost always 4 non-stops on this route (approx times are 8:00 AM, 3:45 PM, 6:00 PM, 8:30 PM). In the course of the last several weeks, I have received multiple updates to the record locator. The first update says on I'm on the 6:01 PM flight. The second update says I'm on the 3:45 flight. What are the chances that AA will let me reinstate my miles even though the Sept 15 schedule is now 8:10 AM, 4:10 PM, 6:15 PM and 8:50 PM? Keep in mind, they moved me on those September 15 flight times. I didn't request those changes. I am concerned that if I ask for the miles back, they'll just say that they'll put me on the closest flight to my original scheduled departure time. How liberal are they with reinstatements?
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:45 am

Second time I've had this happen recently. I called in to cancel an award and redeposit the miles as an EXP. The agent confirms the redeposit and refund of fees. Nothing happens for a few days and I call in to check and the second agent says the first agent never actually requested the redeposit.

Not sure how they're failing at such a simple task now...
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
I know with UA, partner awards have to be changed/cancelled 24 hours before departure, does AA have a similar rule for partner awards? Or can they be cancelled right up to departure?
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by rankourabu
I know with UA, partner awards have to be changed/cancelled 24 hours before departure, does AA have a similar rule for partner awards? Or can they be cancelled right up to departure?
Can cancel any time.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:26 am

I called to cancel two different PNRs yesterday, which were issued from the same account. I was originally told it would be $150 per PNR and the $25 only applied to additional passengers on the same PNR. After asking to speak to a supervisor and reading the verbiage from the AA website verbatim, the associate came back and informed me that I was indeed correct and the re-deposit charge would indeed only be $175, not $300 for the two PNRs since I was cancelling them at the same time.

Miles posted back to my account within an hour and a $175 pending charge hit my CC.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 8:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bmrisko
I called to cancel two different PNRs yesterday, which were issued from the same account. I was originally told it would be $150 per PNR and the $25 only applied to additional passengers on the same PNR. After asking to speak to a supervisor and reading the verbiage from the AA website verbatim, the associate came back and informed me that I was indeed correct and the re-deposit charge would indeed only be $175, not $300 for the two PNRs since I was cancelling them at the same time.
Yeah, they definitely tend to struggle with this, can be a challenge to find an agent who innately knows the correct policy.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Yeah, they definitely tend to struggle with this, can be a challenge to find an agent who innately knows the correct policy.
She told me their system still requires an override, so it definitely helps to know the correct answer before calling in. She was profusely apologetic for being wrong though, which I felt kind of bad about, but informed not to worry that I have run into the same issue before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.