Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Award Reinstatement / Miles Redeposit / Expired Miles Reinstatement (Awards secured by 30 June 2020)

NOTE: This thread is obsolescent, and doesn’t apply to awards secured after 30 June 2020. See this thread for changes in effect 1 July 2020.

AAdvantage award reinstatement / reissuance charges Link

Prior to ticketing, you may change your AAdvantage travel award reservations with no charge incurred for a number of stipulated changes. However, if your tickets are reissued after the original ticketing, a charge may apply for each ticket. This service charge is paid at the time your ticket is reissued and is subject to change without notice. Upgrade, companion and discount award travel is subject to restrictions of fare purchased.

AAdvantage miles will be reinstated for unused and unexpired awards upon payment of a processing fee. For each additional award reinstatement from the same account at the same time, an additional charge will be collected. These charges are payable by credit card. Gift cards may not be used.

Expired tickets will not be reinstated. If a portion of the miles used to claim an award ticket has expired, only those miles that have not expired will be reinstated. Partially used tickets will not be reinstated.
Reinstating flight awards Link

Contact American Airlines Reservations for assistance with canceling your flight award reservation and requesting mileage reinstatement.

You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for a wholly unused AAdvantage award ticket and if the ticket has not expired
  • The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket.

• Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket

• This fee will be waived for Executive Platinum (and Concierge Key) members using miles from their account
NOTE: If bookings are on separate PNRs, AA is likely to want $150 each, according to various member posts in other threads. Push back by saying you know that the computer wants to charge $150 each, but this explicitly contradicts the published rules (assuming miles were charged to the same account), so could the agent please manually adjust the amount charged.

Expired miles may also be reinstated within an 18 month period of time, but these will generally require a reinstatement fee or a reingagement requirement that will require certain levels of AA travel. There’s no other way known to reactivate an account with miles reinstated, though it’s theoretically possible to petition AAdvantage customer service for mercy in force majeure issues (e.g. military deployment or other condition beyond one’s control). Contact AA for your specific situation.

Print Wikipost

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Whether you use miles or cash for a ticket, the cancel/redeposit fee is always a fixed amount, and often more than the ticket itself is worth. Just wait until they raise the $150 fee to $200 to match the change fee on revenue tickets.

IMO the free award cancels/redeposits is one of the best benefits of EXP.

Originally Posted by AAnerd
where do you draw the line? Once Plt gets this perk, Gold members will come and complain how ridiculous it is and ask for waiver too... Then the creditcard members... EXP flies 100kEQM/EQP/EQS, Plat flies half of that I think its fair for EXP gets more perk than Plat.. I would agree with the idea of Plat gets 50% discount while Gold gets 25% discount in paying off mile reinstatement fee, but waiving it completely will just dilute the perks for the EXP... And EXP have plenty to complain about with this merger and the future of AA, just read thru FT..
DL gives free award changes/redeposits to both Diamonds and Plats (125K and 75K mileage levels, respectively). But so many folks took advantage of it that they "enhanced" the benefit by disallowing any award ticket changes within 72 hours of departure.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by FlightWhite
The essential question isn't whether this is the rule (it is) or whether this is industry norm (it is). The question is whether this industry norm is fair.

I'd submit the answer is no.
How do you define fair? AA defines the terms of its programs, publicizes the terms, and offers consumers the use of the services. OP freely chose to take advantage of that service, likely clicking "I agree to your terms" in the process, and is now being required to comply with the agreed-to terms.

fair - "in accordance with the rules or standards."

Is losing money gambling in Las Vegas "not fair"?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 6:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CPRich

Is losing money gambling in Las Vegas "not fair"?
Oh, it is perfectly fair for other people to lose money, however the criteria for those exempt from it should include me
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by humesd
1. ... That fee is excessive. ... Isn't it counterproductive to charge more for a reinstatement than the miles are worth?
Interesting, -- What is it "worth" to reinstate miles? In a free market, isn't something's "worth" whatever someone else is willing to pay for it?

I'm not going to go to the hassle of cancelling now, they can find out at the gate.
Yeah, that'll show 'em.

2. I was booking a flight 2 weeks out. AA charges a $75 late fee, BA, for the same flight, charges $5. I think other airlines that charge this fee only do so 2 weeks rather than 3 weeks before travel. Maybe they have become worse too.
Why is AA obligated to charge less just because some of its competitors do?

I don't mind fees for actual service, but this just seems to be random nickel and diming.
I would argue that reinstating/redepositing miles is an actual service.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
Is the redeposit fee per ticket? In other words, if you cancel 4 award tickets of a party all of which have come from the same account is that 4x$150 or just a straight $150? If it's the former then that seems excessive to me. If the latter, then more that I would wish to pay but probably not excessive in broader terms.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 10:51 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Excessively high redeposit fees help ensure that passengers book the awards they are "sure" they are going to take, and don't hoard award inventory.

$150 is perfectly reasonable.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, SPG Gold, HH Gold
I just cancelled an award ticket and am waiting until I make EP in December to reinstate the miles. Fee problem solved.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by bmchris
Right. And more for international.

While not a lot in terms of amount, it goes a long way in principle. The current policy, AA not only keeps what they gave you, but also keeps what was to be paid to the government (do they pay it for no shows?).

Either way, it's a nice gesture to say we're refunding you what would have been paid to a third party and not taking advantage of the situation, let along the $150 fee.
Are you sure? I have canceled award flights and have gotten the taxes/fees back (AFAIK). My only recent experience in this, however, has been in switching from a one stop to a nonstop before the security fee change, and I got the difference refunded.
On another note, I believe 12500 is worth $150. I can get a business class ticket to Europe for 50K, and I believe it is worth $600 for a one way business class ticket from the west coast. IMHO, the change one way awards is great if taking a transatlantic cruise
Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by mvoight
Are you sure? I have canceled award flights and have gotten the taxes/fees back (AFAIK).
I just canceled an award ticket (several weeks out, though) and was refunded all the taxes and fees.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Excessively high redeposit fees help ensure that passengers book the awards they are "sure" they are going to take, and don't hoard award inventory.

$150 is perfectly reasonable.
That's likely a good explanation. Free redeposits might create an incentive for shenanigans, the likely reason for lower price ticket change and cancellation fees. And the redeposit cost hasn't increased over the years.

Originally Posted by Blueboys999
Is the redeposit fee per ticket? In other words, if you cancel 4 award tickets of a party all of which have come from the same account is that 4x$150 or just a straight $150? If it's the former then that seems excessive to me. If the latter, then more that I would wish to pay but probably not excessive in broader terms.
Cancel four awards from the same account costs (1×150)+(3×25)=$225.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:05 am

Thoughts on what the fee would be if at the time of purchase it was $150 and its raised by the time you ask the miles to be redeposited ?
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by idainc
Thoughts on what the fee would be if at the time of purchase it was $150 and its raised by the time you ask the miles to be redeposited ?
Since the fee is for the redeposit of miles, I would expect the fee to be whatever the current fee is at the time of requesting that the miles be redeposited
Old Oct 6, 2014, 1:02 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mvoight
Are you sure? I have canceled award flights and have gotten the taxes/fees back (AFAIK). My only recent experience in this, however, has been in switching from a one stop to a nonstop before the security fee change, and I got the difference refunded.
On another note, I believe 12500 is worth $150. I can get a business class ticket to Europe for 50K, and I believe it is worth $600 for a one way business class ticket from the west coast. IMHO, the change one way awards is great if taking a transatlantic cruise
I look at it as its only 40,000 miles for a RT off-season coach to Europe. I'm sure that $375 and change is well cheaper than a RT to Europe on AA no matter the time of the year.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
award redeposit fee for former EXPLT?

Pulled an award recently (while an EXPLT) for travel June 2015, but may need to cancel/redeposit in 2015, when I'll be PLT. Will AA redeposit free of charge based on the status of when pulled (ie, no charge), or based on status at time of change/redeposit (ie, charge). At DL, their policy is that the fees that applied when ticketed/pulled count (ie, if top-tier when pulled, then no charge).
Old Dec 24, 2014, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
At DL, their policy is that the fees that applied when ticketed/pulled count (ie, if top-tier when pulled, then no charge).
Actually, evidence is that DL applies the fee waiver based on status at time of redeposit. That's been my experience with DL, repeatedly, and I'm not alone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.