Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 20, 2016, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Award Reinstatement / Miles Redeposit / Expired Miles Reinstatement (Awards secured by 30 June 2020)

NOTE: This thread is obsolescent, and doesn’t apply to awards secured after 30 June 2020. See this thread for changes in effect 1 July 2020.

AAdvantage award reinstatement / reissuance charges Link

Prior to ticketing, you may change your AAdvantage travel award reservations with no charge incurred for a number of stipulated changes. However, if your tickets are reissued after the original ticketing, a charge may apply for each ticket. This service charge is paid at the time your ticket is reissued and is subject to change without notice. Upgrade, companion and discount award travel is subject to restrictions of fare purchased.

AAdvantage miles will be reinstated for unused and unexpired awards upon payment of a processing fee. For each additional award reinstatement from the same account at the same time, an additional charge will be collected. These charges are payable by credit card. Gift cards may not be used.

Expired tickets will not be reinstated. If a portion of the miles used to claim an award ticket has expired, only those miles that have not expired will be reinstated. Partially used tickets will not be reinstated.
Reinstating flight awards Link

Contact American Airlines Reservations for assistance with canceling your flight award reservation and requesting mileage reinstatement.

You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for a wholly unused AAdvantage award ticket and if the ticket has not expired
  • The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket.

• Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket

• This fee will be waived for Executive Platinum (and Concierge Key) members using miles from their account
NOTE: If bookings are on separate PNRs, AA is likely to want $150 each, according to various member posts in other threads. Push back by saying you know that the computer wants to charge $150 each, but this explicitly contradicts the published rules (assuming miles were charged to the same account), so could the agent please manually adjust the amount charged.

Expired miles may also be reinstated within an 18 month period of time, but these will generally require a reinstatement fee or a reingagement requirement that will require certain levels of AA travel. There’s no other way known to reactivate an account with miles reinstated, though it’s theoretically possible to petition AAdvantage customer service for mercy in force majeure issues (e.g. military deployment or other condition beyond one’s control). Contact AA for your specific situation.

Print Wikipost

AA award miles reinstatement / redeposit fees, issues, questions thru 30 Jun 2020

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2016, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
They have to adjust the numbers manually in the PNR.
Seems like this is the crucial point. Their screens are telling them that it is $150 per record and they are just repeating what they see. They haven't been trained to bypass the software to make a manual adjustment, so perhaps saying "Yes, I know what your computer is telling you, but you have to make the adjustment manually" is potentially helpful? Perhaps there are even more specific technical terms that could be used to guide them?

Award booking fees are the same way, the software doesn't waive them automatically in cases where it can't be done on aa.com. The agent has to know to do it manually (which they generally do) but also remember to do it manually (which they sometimes don't)
Old Mar 19, 2016, 3:16 pm

Is there a fee to redeposit miles if you cancel an award booking?

I am a regular member (was US Chairman several years ago) and have a bunch of miles sitting in my account. I want to use them for a trip to Kenya but there is a chance I will have to cancel my trip. Can't find anything on the AA site about the rules for canceling an award booking that has been ticketed and not loosing the miles. I'm sure there is a fee but nothing online that I can find. Over a 20 min wait on the phone line so hoping FT friends might have the answer.

Thanks.
Old Mar 19, 2016, 3:20 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by US1@ORF
I am a regular member (was US Chairman several years ago) and have a bunch of miles sitting in my account. I want to use them for a trip to Kenya but there is a chance I will have to cancel my trip. Can't find anything on the AA site about the rules for canceling an award booking that has been ticketed and not loosing the miles. I'm sure there is a fee but nothing online that I can find. Over a 20 min wait on the phone line so hoping FT friends might have the answer.

Thanks.
Remember, you can reschedule the trip free of charge, if you fly within one year of booking.

Otherwise, it costs $150 to reinstate the miles for one award, $25 for each additional award redeposited to the same account.

Reinstating flight awards link

Contact American Airlines Reservations for assistance with canceling your flight award reservation and requesting mileage reinstatement.

• You can request to have your AAdvantage mileage reinstated for a wholly unused AAdvantage award ticket and if the ticket has not expired

• The reinstatement charge is $150 per account for the first award ticket. Additional award tickets reinstated to the same account at the same time will have a $25 charge per ticket

• This fee will be waived for Executive Platinum members using miles from their account
Old Mar 19, 2016, 4:11 pm

The fact that refunded taxes offset some of the fees lessens the sting somewhat.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 8:24 pm

Programs: Mucci, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Of course, if you are Executive Platinum, the fees do not apply.- as jDiver noted in his post.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:41 pm

$150 fee for canceling AA Award Ticket

Hi,

I have a need to cancel my upcoming AA award ticket. I do not have status with AA so I am expecting to pay the $150 fee to recoup my points. I planned to pay with a combination of gift card ($100) and credit card ($50), but when I called into AA they are saying they can only take 1 form of payment. From what I've read online, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to consolidate GC's.

So...if I purchase a $50 gift card, purchase a ~$150 flight, then cancel within 24 hours, will the $150 be credited to a new gift card number or the original two gift cards?

From what I have read from other FT posts, AA allows up to 8 gift cards to be used on regular flight purchases, but apparently this rule doesnt apply for award fees.

I would like to use my $100 GC if possible. Please let me know if you have any ideas or if there is a flaw in what I posted above.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
I don't think you can use gc.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Gift cards cannot be used for things like taxes and/or fees associated with award tickets.
Old Mar 31, 2016, 4:06 pm

Thanks for the replies. You all are correct - I am not able to use GC's. The first agent I spoke to gave me a false hope, but I called back and confirmed they cannot be used.
Old Apr 1, 2016, 3:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Want to change routing, but not cancel reservation

- Will repost this on the post 22 Mar 2016 - thread.

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Apr 1, 2016 at 10:42 am
Old Apr 1, 2016, 3:08 am

Redeposit fees if miles haven't been deducted?

I am on the waitlist for an award upgrade on a transatlantic flight. On my connecting flight it looks like I have a very good chance of getting bumped, which changes my upgrade strategy. Will I be charged a redeposit fee for taking my name off the waitlist before the upgrade clears?
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:23 pm

Add a leg to an existing award itinerary

Hello everyone,

I think i just did a very big mistake, because before 3/22 i book a flight on 2/1/2017 for one way for PTT-LAX on Air Tahiti. But during that time there is no available for the last leg from LAX-SEA, the agent confirm i can call back later to add the last leg. Now today i call 3 different agent, and they all stated I will get charge for $125 to change the reservation??? is this correct? i thought we can add AA domestic leg for free anywhere in US? please help, thanks!
Old Apr 4, 2016, 9:36 pm
Suspended

You cannot add a segment to ticketed award w/o fee.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 10:02 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum
Perhaps they were saying if you have the reservation on hold you can call and add the additional segment. I have done this is the past with Air Tahiti Nui.
Old Apr 4, 2016, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
You cannot add a segment to ticketed award w/o fee.
Originally Posted by jagoffee
Perhaps they were saying if you have the reservation on hold you can call and add the additional segment. I have done this is the past with Air Tahiti Nui.
Damn i pretty much screw, i should ask before assuming they will let you add the last leg for free, thanks guys!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.