Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Daily LAX-HND Service Feb 2016 w/ 787-8, applies DFW-HND

AA Daily LAX-HND Service Feb 2016 w/ 787-8, applies DFW-HND

Hide Wikipost
Old Jun 23, 16, 2:50 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki Link
AA Begin Daily 787-8 LAX-HND Service 11 Feb 2016, DFW-HND on application

FORT WORTH, Texas, Nov. 4, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- American Airlines will offer customers daily, year-round, nonstop service to Tokyo's Haneda Airport (HND) from its trans-Pacific gateway at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) beginning Feb. 11, 2016. Customers can book travel on the new route starting Sunday, Nov. 8. American recently secured takeoff and landing time slots at Haneda Airport from the Japanese aviation authorities, which will allow the commencement of the flight.

The new service will operate on the following daily schedule (all times local):

LAX-HND
AA27
Departs LAX at 6 p.m.
Arrives at HND at 11 p.m. the following day

HND-LAX
AA26
Departs HND at 1:30 a.m.
Arrives at LAX at 6:20 p.m. the previous day

Link
Link to Dallas Morning News article on DFW-HND 23 Jun 2016 (comparing DFW vs. MSP for Haneda service)

Link to Dallas a Morning News Aviation Blog article on DFW-HND application, 4 Apr 2016

Please see this archived thread for posts relating to AA statement of intent and delays.

Previously (as posted by Exec_Plat), wandering_fred and ashill:

DOT Docket is DOT-OST-2010-0018
AA's application to fly LAX-HND (and motion to transfer DL's authority to fly SEA-LAX) is document DOT-OST-2010-0018-0384

On June 14, 2015, the DOT ruled that Delta would retain the HND slot for use on SEA-HND with dormancy conditions that require Delta to operate the flight every day of the year.

On June 17, 2015, Delta notified the DOT in a letter that it would "determined that it is not commercially feasible to operate the slots allocated to Delta for Seattle-Haneda service on a consistent daily basis year-round". The last Delta SEA-HND flight will operate on September 30, 2015. Delta will return the slots to the DOT on October 1, 2015, at which point the slots will automatically revert to American.

American service on LAX-HND could begin (err rather could have begun) as early as October 1, 2015.

While DOT has granted rights to AA, the actual time slots in which AA can arrive and depart HND are subject to negotiation with HND and other carriers.

- It is not clear that DL had slots every day of the year, and in fact DL may have been required to surrender the slots on August 15, 2015.
- AA needs to secure daily slots for HND, however the annual winter 2015 (W15) slot conference was on June 23, 2015, only a few days after DL notified DOT they would surrender the route.
- It is unknown when AA will acquire new time slots. Purportedly the IATA slot conference for S15 will be 10-12 November. Going by the published calendar Oct 8 begins this activity: https://www.iata.org/events/Document...activities.pdf
-There may be some motion with daytime slots (Aviationweek):
The U.S. Transportation Department (DOT) recently briefed U.S. carriers on the Japanese proposal, several people familiar with the matter told Aviation Daily. As it is currently understood, the proposal would shift some of the slots available to U.S. carriers to daytime hours. It may also include one additional slot pair, which would likely not be for a daily flight
- Per the published guidelines, the SAL Deadline is October 29, 2015, at which time the airport shall have made their initial decision on all slots to be allocated for the coming season. [One assumes horsetrading then begins.]
Print Wikipost

Old Feb 18, 16, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA and CX. (Disgruntled UA Lifetime Plat) - No hotel loyalty anymore
Some of us preferred the current flight times!

Count me as one of the few who preferred the flight times into HND and out of HND. Got me more time at home and more time on the ground in Japan. Moving to daytime means afternoon arrival - which isn't very productive. Departures become afternoon/early evening which means not a full work day in Japan.
Old Feb 18, 16, 7:39 pm

Programs: UA Silver (working on Gold), Hilton Dia, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Longboater View Post
The four current slots will become daytime and there will be one new daytime flight allocated and one nighttime flight allocated. (Who would want to operate this flight besides HAL's proposed KOA-HND?) The new slots will become available at the end of October, per the Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport, and Tourism. I expect a big fight over the one new daytime slot
I haven't seen any sources that say the nighttime slots will become daytime slots, just that the four nighttime slots will be replaced by five daytime slots and one nighttime slot. I believe that the allocation is up to the US DOT and the Japanese MLIT on each side.

There is already a report in the Nikkei that ANA will get a total of four slots and JAL will get only two. If that's true, I wonder whether DOT would address the imbalance between the two transpacific JVs by giving an additional slot to AA.
Old Feb 18, 16, 8:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by joejones View Post
I haven't seen any sources that say the nighttime slots will become daytime slots, just that the four nighttime slots will be replaced by five daytime slots and one nighttime slot. I believe that the allocation is up to the US DOT and the Japanese MLIT on each side.

There is already a report in the Nikkei that ANA will get a total of four slots and JAL will get only two. If that's true, I wonder whether DOT would address the imbalance between the two transpacific JVs by giving an additional slot to AA.
http://www.mlit.go.jp/report/press/k...hh_000244.html

According to the Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, and Tourism, the four current slots will automatically become daytime slots. However, each airline will have to work out the individual timings of the slots. Well, at least according to the English translation of the page. If the report in the Nikkei is true, AA would be a favourite to receive one of the extra slots. However, I wonder what their reaction would be if they received that odd nighttime slot. Try to move daytime LAX-HND to DFW/ORD/JFK? Obviously DL is the biggest loser in all of this and with all of their moaning could result in them not receiving another slot. You'd think they'd be the favourite to receive another slot due to no JV with ANA/JAL. But what they've done with HND operations since the slots opened up five years ago is a total disaster and their attitude with this whole thing has delayed the start up of daytime flights. With their complaining, DOT could very well to tell them to drop dead and put up with operating just LAX-HND daytime or else.
Old Feb 19, 16, 12:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joejones View Post
According to the State Department, the four existing nighttime flights become daytime flights:

Under the proposed amendment, these four slot pairs would be transferred to daytime hours. In addition, a fifth daytime slot pair for scheduled service to and from Haneda would be added and U.S. airlines would be able to continue operating one nighttime slot pair. Several U.S. carriers have expressed strong interest in offering daytime service to Haneda, and their passengers will benefit from convenient access to downtown Tokyo.
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2016/02/252608.htm
Old Feb 19, 16, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by brabb12 View Post
I knew I should have gone tonight. Did you take photos???
Originally Posted by IceTrojan View Post
I did, I'll update when I get them posted.
All photos posted in AirlineReporter: http://www.airlinereporter.com/2016/...aneda-service/

Behold... the Nigiri boat!

(Per FT disclosure rules: the above link takes you to a story to which I'm the author, and I'm a regular contributor to AR)
Old Feb 19, 16, 5:21 pm

All photos posted in AirlineReporter: http://www.airlinereporter.com/2016/...aneda-service/

(Per FT disclosure rules: the above link takes you to a story to which I'm the author, and I'm a regular contributor to AR)

Awww man good thing I didn't go. I would have eaten the entire boat up. Lol
Old Feb 19, 16, 9:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond

Thanks for posting! But were you the only FTer on the inaugural flight?

If so, should it indicate the level of excitement for it (nothing against you, IceTrojan, of course)..
Old Feb 19, 16, 11:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by teemuflyer View Post
Thanks for posting! But were you the only FTer on the inaugural flight?

If so, should it indicate the level of excitement for it (nothing against you, IceTrojan, of course)..
I didn't even get to fly, hence only stoked, not super-stoked.
Old Feb 21, 16, 7:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
Anyone know how the loads have been on this flight lately? I'd love to see this thing go to a 777.

Originally Posted by brabb12 View Post
Awww man good thing I didn't go. I would have eaten the entire boat up. Lol
Exactly what I was thinking. That looks like some good-quality stuff that wouldn't be cheap in a restaurant!
Old Feb 23, 16, 1:02 am

Programs: AA LT GLD, HH Silver, Bonvoy Plat, Radisson Gold, Choice Gold
Originally Posted by NickP 1K View Post
Count me as one of the few who preferred the flight times into HND and out of HND. Got me more time at home and more time on the ground in Japan. Moving to daytime means afternoon arrival - which isn't very productive. Departures become afternoon/early evening which means not a full work day in Japan.
The current AA flight times are perfect for long weekend trips if you're based on the west coast - leave a little early from work on Thursday to arrive on Friday night. Then leave Tokyo at 1am on Monday to be in LA on Sunday night. Back in the office Monday morning.
Old Feb 23, 16, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why is LAX-HND so coveted? Looks to me it is a completely crappy route from a connection point of view.
Nobody in their right mind will fly East Coast to LAX and then onto HND. Nobody in their right mind would fly Midwest to LAX and then onto HND.
If they want to make HND a success, operate it from ORD or DFW.
Old Feb 23, 16, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Dieuwer View Post
Why is LAX-HND so coveted? Looks to me it is a completely crappy route from a connection point of view.
Nobody in their right mind will fly East Coast to LAX and then onto HND. Nobody in their right mind would fly Midwest to LAX and then onto HND.
If they want to make HND a success, operate it from ORD or DFW.
Because LAX has enough people who want to fly from Los Angeles-Tokyo to do it.

And if you're already connecting once, the hour long train ride from NRT to the center of Tokyo isn't as big of a time waste. But LAX-HND is nearly an hour saved for most people compared to LAX-NRT, in terms of when they actually get to their final destinations.
Old Feb 23, 16, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheBOSman View Post
Because LAX has enough people who want to fly from Los Angeles-Tokyo to do it..
Yeah, that's why Delta is so successful filling their LAX-HND route with paying pax...NOT.
Old Feb 23, 16, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Dieuwer View Post
Yeah, that's why Delta is so successful filling their LAX-HND route with paying pax...NOT.
Right now AA and DL have relatively crappy flight times (getting in to Tokyo after the trains stop running is ). Once they have a better flight time, particularly one that enables more domestic connections (and to a lesser degree connections to GMP/SHA/TSA), the route should do better.
Old Feb 23, 16, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They just should fly BOS-HND. Let those LAX snobs go pound sand.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: