Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Daily LAX-HND Service Feb 2016 w/ 787-8, applies DFW-HND

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 18, 2015, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Begin Daily 787-8 LAX-HND Service 11 Feb 2016, DFW-HND on application

FORT WORTH, Texas, Nov. 4, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- American Airlines will offer customers daily, year-round, nonstop service to Tokyo's Haneda Airport (HND) from its trans-Pacific gateway at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) beginning Feb. 11, 2016. Customers can book travel on the new route starting Sunday, Nov. 8. American recently secured takeoff and landing time slots at Haneda Airport from the Japanese aviation authorities, which will allow the commencement of the flight.

The new service will operate on the following daily schedule (all times local):

LAX-HND
AA27
Departs LAX at 6 p.m.
Arrives at HND at 11 p.m. the following day

HND-LAX
AA26
Departs HND at 1:30 a.m.
Arrives at LAX at 6:20 p.m. the previous day

Link
Link to Dallas Morning News article on DFW-HND 23 Jun 2016 (comparing DFW vs. MSP for Haneda service)

Link to Dallas a Morning News Aviation Blog article on DFW-HND application, 4 Apr 2016

Please see this archived thread for posts relating to AA statement of intent and delays.

Previously (as posted by Exec_Plat), wandering_fred and ashill:

DOT Docket is DOT-OST-2010-0018
AA's application to fly LAX-HND (and motion to transfer DL's authority to fly SEA-LAX) is document DOT-OST-2010-0018-0384

On June 14, 2015, the DOT ruled that Delta would retain the HND slot for use on SEA-HND with dormancy conditions that require Delta to operate the flight every day of the year.

On June 17, 2015, Delta notified the DOT in a letter that it would "determined that it is not commercially feasible to operate the slots allocated to Delta for Seattle-Haneda service on a consistent daily basis year-round". The last Delta SEA-HND flight will operate on September 30, 2015. Delta will return the slots to the DOT on October 1, 2015, at which point the slots will automatically revert to American.

American service on LAX-HND could begin (err rather could have begun) as early as October 1, 2015.

While DOT has granted rights to AA, the actual time slots in which AA can arrive and depart HND are subject to negotiation with HND and other carriers.

- It is not clear that DL had slots every day of the year, and in fact DL may have been required to surrender the slots on August 15, 2015.
- AA needs to secure daily slots for HND, however the annual winter 2015 (W15) slot conference was on June 23, 2015, only a few days after DL notified DOT they would surrender the route.
- It is unknown when AA will acquire new time slots. Purportedly the IATA slot conference for S15 will be 10-12 November. Going by the published calendar Oct 8 begins this activity: https://www.iata.org/events/Document...activities.pdf
-There may be some motion with daytime slots (Aviationweek):
The U.S. Transportation Department (DOT) recently briefed U.S. carriers on the Japanese proposal, several people familiar with the matter told Aviation Daily. As it is currently understood, the proposal would shift some of the slots available to U.S. carriers to daytime hours. It may also include one additional slot pair, which would likely not be for a daily flight
- Per the published guidelines, the SAL Deadline is October 29, 2015, at which time the airport shall have made their initial decision on all slots to be allocated for the coming season. [One assumes horsetrading then begins.]
Print Wikipost

AA Daily LAX-HND Service Feb 2016 w/ 787-8, applies DFW-HND

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The meetings to agree the allocation of daytime slots have been postponed at the request of the US side so the conversion to a daytime flight remains uncertain. (Japanese link)
http://www.aviationwire.jp/archives/81696
. Its due to delta being a bully.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by brabb12
. Its due to delta being a bully.
I know, but there were rumours of an agreement being very close. And now it is somewhere out in the blue again.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I know, but there were rumours of an agreement being very close. And now it is somewhere out in the blue again.
I know. I was really exited then sad. You know who is happy, is JALPAK. He's glad that they stop those talks. Lol
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by brabb12
I knew I should have gone tonight. Did you take photos???
I did, I'll update when I get them posted.

Last edited by Microwave; Feb 18, 2016 at 7:14 am Reason: Corrected invalid quote syntax
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:42 pm

Anyone able to preorder a meal on this route? I have a flight in J next week but no preorder option available on the site.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 8:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
Also note worth was that the flight was operated by N812AA/8AN, the newest 788 in the fleet. Was told this was the 3rd revenue flight for this airframe. Love that new plane smell.
Definitely not the third flight for 8AN. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N812AA/history
Old Feb 12, 2016, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by akarneboge
Definitely not the third flight for 8AN. http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N812AA/history
I should've known better... I wonder where the rep got that misinfo?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by grahampros
This route next month will my first trip on the AA 787. Looking forward to trying out both the J on the plane and the convenience to downtown Tokyo despite the relatively bad arrival and departure times at HND. They service will be the typical mediocre AA i all ready know but curious if the 787 really does ease jet lag as claimed.
I haven't flown internationally on the AA 787 yet (taking it to PEK next month), but I was very impressed with the lack of jet lag when I flew SJC-NRT on the NH 788. I usually drink a ton of water on a 777, 747, etc and still get dried out, but I felt the complete opposite when I flew NH. Some of the best sleep I've ever had on a TPAC (aside from NH square F!).
Old Feb 13, 2016, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I haven't flown internationally on the AA 787 yet (taking it to PEK next month), but I was very impressed with the lack of jet lag when I flew SJC-NRT on the NH 788. I usually drink a ton of water on a 777, 747, etc and still get dried out, but I felt the complete opposite when I flew NH. Some of the best sleep I've ever had on a TPAC (aside from NH square F!).
I flew GRU-LAX in economy after my SWU didn't clear and it was a lot better than flying the 77W in economy in terms of getting good sleep. I felt great when I got off the plane in the AM.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:13 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
I'm considering flying this flight because of the current 20K mile promo for a return trip (in J). Am I correct to assume it stacks with the "additional bonus miles" promo? http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/aadvanta...itle=moremiles

So in this case, would a simple HND-LAX-HND flight booked on AA stock and operated by AA earn the following miles?

* 10,976 miles base
* 10,976 miles EXP bonus
* 5,488 COS bonus
* 20,000 bonus miles
* 2x 12,000 "long flight" bonus

Total 71,440 miles. Is my math off or is that basically an F ticket out of a single trip?
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
I'm considering flying this flight because of the current 20K mile promo for a return trip (in J). Am I correct to assume it stacks with the "additional bonus miles" promo? http://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/aadvanta...itle=moremiles

So in this case, would a simple HND-LAX-HND flight booked on AA stock and operated by AA earn the following miles?

* 10,976 miles base
* 10,976 miles EXP bonus
* 5,488 COS bonus
* 20,000 bonus miles
* 2x 12,000 "long flight" bonus

Total 71,440 miles. Is my math off or is that basically an F ticket out of a single trip?

Yep, as long as you're not booked in I, otherwise it would be 2x 3,500 in terms of the bonus for a total of 54,440 rdm.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT PLT 2.6MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by IceTrojan
I should've known better... I wonder where the rep got that misinfo?
It's become clear to me over the years that us FF's, thanks to FT in a lot of situations, know way more than employees of the airline themselves.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:35 pm

Haneda talks are restarting today. Hopefully somthing good will come out of it. "Unless Delta does somthing dumb again"
Old Feb 17, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
http://www.traicy.com/20160217-AAqa in Japanese...

For the HND daytime slots, AA seems to want to fly HND-East coast not HND-LAX...

AA wants to keep NRT for passengers to connect to Asia by JAL but he didn't mention if AA wants to keep LAX-NRT in the future. At this moment AA just wants to keep both LAX-HND and LAX-NRT to solve the late arrival issue at HND.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Significant Update in Haneda slots.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/japan-...-idUKL3N15X3TP

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/americ...101819328.html

Big big news for Haneda slots. The agreement is now a done deal, sorry DL, for daytime slots for HND. The four current slots will become daytime and there will be one new daytime flight allocated and one nighttime flight allocated. (Who would want to operate this flight besides HAL's proposed KOA-HND?) The new slots will become available at the end of October, per the Japanese Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport, and Tourism. I expect a big fight over the one new daytime slot and I'd say UA is the favourite due to DL/AA's troubles at HND and UA's record of operating SFO-HND consistently since they were awarded the route.

The previous post mentioned AA would be interested in adding an east coast slot. Perhaps the return of JFK-HND on AA metal if approved? AA's initial press release only indicated they were pleased with operating LAX-HND during the daytime this fall. Could we see an equipment change on this route? Big picture, what is AA's future in Japan, especially if they are approved for a second HND flight? Does AA really need all that capacity on DFW-NRT, especially with the additions of DFW-ICN/PEK/PVG-HKG all within the last three years? Maybe JAL switches DFW-NRT to DFW-HND? I remember when it was announced that AA was going to order the 77W, NRT, along with HKG/LHR/GRU, were mentioned as destinations. Especially with one daytime HND flight, I find it hard to imagine that AA will end F class to Tokyo. Even with the weakened Yen, the currency has roughly stabilised for the past several months.

Last edited by Longboater; Feb 18, 2016 at 7:27 am Reason: Updated information

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.