Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

77W, 772 & CIP 763 to NGBC changes, no F / no flat bed J - what to do? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

77W, 772 & CIP 763 to NGBC changes, no F / no flat bed J - what to do? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2016, 7:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by upinsmoke
AA.com is selling tickets for this as a 77W, EF shows this as a 77W, and Flightaware is showing the inbound plane for this flight as AA951, a 77W coming from JFK (and landing shortly).
...which is N787AL. (772) FlightAware is wrong.

Same with the event timeline on FlightStats: http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...ightNumber=951

I think you're looking at AA951 for Nov 2. (Today). But the plane used for the Nov 2 GRU-DFW is the Nov 1 AA951.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Swissairasia
Unfortunately not, tomorrow 11/02 it will be flown by N787AL which is an old 777-200... https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/aa962

So I am still insecure if I should gamble for the First Seats (3J and 4J) or switch to the save Lie-Flat via MIA option... (MIA-DFW would also be Lie-Flat...)
So... what happened? Did you get to fly in the Flagship Suites, or something else?
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by Swissairasia
Not sure if someone have had this before. In the upcoming days, I am booked on the 962 from GRU to DFW. As we all know, the bird on this route is 99% the new 77W. Me and my business partner were booked on 3J and 4J.

Now an Eq. Change to an old 772, but surprisingly, our Seats are still 3J and 4J (which would be in F instead of J now). I called AA and they told me to just stay silent, so that we at the end probably will fly in F instead of J, however, I am scared that at the latest at the Gate it will result in a seat-change. If I would end up in the old J, I would prefer to fly new J via MIA instead, which the agent offered me to book. Have anyone ever had a similar situation?
Actually, I flew GRU MIA on 8/31 and they switched from 77W to 772 a week ahead of time. Be watchful of this route too if you are looking to switch.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Originally Posted by econometrics
...which is N787AL. (772) FlightAware is wrong.

Same with the event timeline on FlightStats: http://www.flightstats.com/go/Flight...ightNumber=951

I think you're looking at AA951 for Nov 2. (Today). But the plane used for the Nov 2 GRU-DFW is the Nov 1 AA951.
951 is the JFK GRU flight number, using a 77W. I've flown it alot.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by econometrics
If I were you, I would do nothing and show up with your 3J/4J seats in 777-200 F.

I really doubt they are going to down-gauge you to the angled J seat if they have already given you a seat in the F cabin.
I've had this scenario happen to me a couple of times earlier this year (first MIA-GRU and later GRU-MIA)—the first time I did exactly what you suggested but they had new boarding passes waiting for me at the gate. I tried to argue and all but got nowhere, so I just took the new boarding passes and thankfully was able to switch seats with people onboard (they had given me and my wife seats on opposite sides.)

When it happened again on GRU-MIA I didn't want to risk it so I just called in and got re-routed thru DFW.

Of course, YMMV, but bottom line is: I wouldn't count on being seated on the F cabin in these cases.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 2:35 pm

Programs: LX-SEN, KL-Gold, BA-Gold, LA-Comodoro
Thanks for all the advises. I had probably the most horrible day since I am flying lets start from the beginning: my original route was: EZE-GIG (on PZ 725, on a seperate booking), GIG-GRU (on JJ 3571) and GRU-DFW (on AA 962).

Arrived at the airport in EZE and saw that PZ 725 had a tiny little 4h15 delay, which would let us arrive in GIG at 4:55PM instead of 12:40, while our connection on the seperate ticket was at 18:35. So the agent in EZE was so nice to check our luggage through, but in the last second, I realised that our original problem, the seats on the AA962, have been changed. Realising that, I told her to uncheck our luggage again and I tried to call AA to rebook us from GRU via MIA for getting the Lie-Flats. After 1.5 hours on the phone, I got us rebooked to AA930 and AA61 via MIA, rechecked the luggage and got all the boarding passes until DFW. Everything seemed to be fine...

Well, until JJ realised, that they had no crew for their already delayed by more than 4 hours flight to GIG, which added another hour delay. So we knew that our connection in GIG will almost be impossible (new planned arrival time: 5:50, departure 6:35, incl. rechecking the bags and going through customs).

We were running like hell in GIG but, as expected, no chance to recheck the bag at 6:15, 20mins before departure of our JJ3571 to GRU. The JJ agent was not willing to help us, referring to our two seperate tickets, saying that we will loose all the remaining flights on the latter one. Having onward flights from DFW to LHR and ZRH on the other ticket, this was indeed a shocking moment for us...

So we tried our luck at the AA check in desk, and they were veryvery helpful, rebooked us to AA904 (old seats, but that was not our biggest concern anymore) and then to AA2305 (lie flat). Very nice gesture by AA and even though AA2305 was switched to an angle flat 767 some hours before the flight, we are more than happy to have finally arrived to Texas. Sorry for the long story, but I think I lost some years of living yesterday because of the stress...
Old Nov 4, 2016, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Geez, you'd think a 6 hour connection would be enough...
Glad to hear AA was accommodating.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:54 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
767 downgraded last minute to "old" config with angle flat seats - any recourse?

I suspect the answer will be "no" but wanted to reach out to this awesome and knowledgeable community. I used my SWUs to upgrade my family of four on a recent TATL journey from LHR-ORD. I saw C-5 on EF the day before departure so I called to request the SWUs be pushed through (I had requested months ago but since C was available, wanted it done before going to airport control). At this time, seat map still showed new J configuration.

About 2 hours before the flight, I checked the seat map and it showed the old J configuration with angle flat seats. Is there any use in me contacting AA here?

I am not looking for a free handout and not trying to sound entitled (although I could see how it might come across that way), but when I upgraded I was expecting a fully lie-flat seat with direct aisle access. It felt like a bit of a bait-and-switch to me. I know it isn't a violation of CoC, but has anyone else had any results about this kind of downgrade in J seats? I am ExPlat if that matters.

Regardless, AA needs to retire this configuration immediately. I was quite surprised to see this still on a TATL route.

Sorry Mods if this belongs somewhere else, but I did not see an existing thread when searching that seemed appropriate. Feel free to move if there is one. Thanks.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
I believe AA is obligated to provide lie-flat seats across the Atlantic under the terms of the JBA with BA/IB? (or maybe there is an exception for last-minute equipment swaps for operational reasons?)
Old Apr 26, 2017, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I believe the international CoC requires the offer alternative flights for a change like this. Since already flew there is much that can be done. The may give some type of goodwill gesture, but since you flew it is don't think they have to do anything.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Chicago_Guy3344
I suspect the answer will be "no" but wanted to reach out to this awesome and knowledgeable community. I used my SWUs to upgrade my family of four on a recent TATL journey from LHR-ORD. I saw C-5 on EF the day before departure so I called to request the SWUs be pushed through (I had requested months ago but since C was available, wanted it done before going to airport control). At this time, seat map still showed new J configuration.

About 2 hours before the flight, I checked the seat map and it showed the old J configuration with angle flat seats. Is there any use in me contacting AA here?

I am not looking for a free handout and not trying to sound entitled (although I could see how it might come across that way), but when I upgraded I was expecting a fully lie-flat seat with direct aisle access. It felt like a bit of a bait-and-switch to me. I know it isn't a violation of CoC, but has anyone else had any results about this kind of downgrade in J seats? I am ExPlat if that matters.

Regardless, AA needs to retire this configuration immediately. I was quite surprised to see this still on a TATL route.

Sorry Mods if this belongs somewhere else, but I did not see an existing thread when searching that seemed appropriate. Feel free to move if there is one. Thanks.
As mentioned, beforehand on a planned change they would allow you to switch to a different flight, if desired, but for this kind change, the likelihood of them providing anything substantial (keeping in mind this was an upgrade from economy) would be pretty small. Writing in might yield a small gesture of some miles for an EP and depending on Helix score etc.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ESpen36
I believe AA is obligated to provide lie-flat seats across the Atlantic under the terms of the JBA with BA/IB? (or maybe there is an exception for last-minute equipment swaps for operational reasons?)
Quick related Q: AA70 DFW-FRA shows a 3-class 777 with 7-across in business - would this be lieflat?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Quick related Q: AA70 DFW-FRA shows a 3-class 777 with 7-across in business - would this be lieflat?
That is the angled flat business seats.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Flew the 767 with AA for the first time today on JFK/MIA. I have to say if the old angled are worse then the the new seats I can't imagine the torture devices those used to be. I fly DL 767 regularly and while tight, they're at least semi comfortable. The AA design seemed to make what was at least a bearable 767 J (DL model) seat unbearable. The metal arm stub that jabs into your back and the seat controls that are right where you rest your arm causing the seat to constantly move. Plus the plane looks like the last refresh was in the 70s despite new seats.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 7:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Originally Posted by cesco.g
DFW-FRA is still a regularly scheduled 3-class 772. I have flown this route many times in F and J since they switched over from a 763 a few years ago. I suspect they will eventually change to a 2-class 772 with lie-flat business seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.