Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

77W, 772 & CIP 763 to NGBC changes, no F / no flat bed J - what to do? (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

77W, 772 & CIP 763 to NGBC changes, no F / no flat bed J - what to do? (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Not so much for me - I have two 50/51 roundtrips in December, booked in J and upgraded to F. Both were booked when they were still loaded as the 77W.
That's rough

Fortunately I only have one flight in Dec so it is not so bad whatever happens.

Any possibility to move to AA78/79? It will be the old product but more likely to still have F I'd have thought?
Old Oct 5, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Not so much for me - I have two 50/51 roundtrips in December, booked in J and upgraded to F. Both were booked when they were still loaded as the 77W.
Well, look at the bright side: You could have booked in Y and upgraded to J! You'd be SOL.

F isnt bad at all on the way to LHR. Great sleeping seats. Bring your own IFE for the trip home and you'll be good to go.

Im on DFW-LHR-LHR 50/51 in Nov, Jan and Feb. All 77W. J to F upgrades cleared- should use up all my SWUs this time.

As Ive been very interested in fares, I suspect December is a lull in paid business by business travelers..(AA was selling very discounted I fares for a while, I just think they have less bread and butter biz travelers and sought to attract leisure/vacation travelers.) Perhaps that is why the temporary switch?

Also, I am on 78 at the end of the month and was surprised when I saw both 78 and 50 as 77Ws. I thought 78 was 777...

Id be VERY annoyed moving from 77wJ to 777J. Id ask AA to move my flight, and get RM involved to clear it. Yes, nothing guaranteed, but still worth a conversation or two.
Old Oct 5, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Very annoying, I intentionally booked the 51 out and back on Ba club to compare the two products. The old J seat might be ok for a day flight but not even close to seat 3a which I did have on the 77w.

Guess its going to be a check every few days scenario to see if it changes again.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 2:20 am

Programs: VS, CO, BA
do you think the equipment change will be enough to get AA to allow a switch to the BA operated flight number? I am booked in paid first and will be dissapointed not to get their new product :-(
Old Oct 6, 2014, 5:16 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Originally Posted by barnstaple
do you think the equipment change will be enough to get AA to allow a switch to the BA operated flight number? I am booked in paid first and will be dissapointed not to get their new product :-(
I don't think there is that much difference between the 2 products to be honest, the only significant difference is the size of the tv screen, but when I mentioned it on board they got me a Samsung tablet instead. I actually preferred my flight in old first more than new first.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 7:35 am
Suspended

If you're truly in paid F, you can do whatever you like, you don't need AA's permission.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 8:22 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
If you're truly in paid F, you can do whatever you like, you don't need AA's permission.
Well, it is a fair I paid money for rather than miles - but it is a 'non-refundable' fare class (P).
Old Oct 6, 2014, 9:36 am

Call and ask. Be firm. They might waive the change fee. Who knows....

Personally I like the old first for sleeping... But I would be disappointed if I hadn't flown new a bunch.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:22 am
Suspended

Well, it is a fair I paid money for rather than miles - but it is a 'non-refundable' fare class (P).
That 'aint "booked in paid first"
Old Oct 6, 2014, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
Also, I am on 78 at the end of the month and was surprised when I saw both 78 and 50 as 77Ws. I thought 78 was 777...

Id be VERY annoyed moving from 77wJ to 777J. Id ask AA to move my flight, and get RM involved to clear it. Yes, nothing guaranteed, but still worth a conversation or two.
This happened to me and Mrs. Phasers on the way back from our Honeymoon in August on AA 79. I was in paid J specifically because it was scheduled as a 77W, and she in a sAAver award in J. Had a last minute substitution to a 777. Definitely put a damper on our return.

Unfortunately not much we could do as it was a connecting flight. But I was definitely very annoyed, as I wouldn't have wasted my money paying for J on a 777 if I had known.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, AA PLT, DL Silver
Not to go too far off topic, but I have to vent with the only people who understand...

Wife and I have an award reservation for next June DFW-LHR on AA78 in F. We were excited, her because it is in F and me because I've yet to be on AA's 77W. This thread made me check whether AA78 was changed, and obviously it has at some point since I last looked at the reservation.

Now I'm disappointed. Expert flyer has both AA50 and AA78 as F0, which to me implies that uncertainty exists as far as whether an old or refurbished 772 is assigned.

Wife has never flown international F (or J), and AA’s flagship plane seemed to be the best way to start it off.

Unless anyone has any other recommendations, I’m going to just wait and hope that a 77W is reassigned to AA78/79 between now and next June.
Old Oct 6, 2014, 12:27 pm

Im confused. Paid first is paid first. 'P' is discount, restricted, but PAID first class.

Or am I missing something?
Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:45 am

Well my logic is that it was sold as first, seats in first, and I paid money for it so therefore I consider it paid first

Anyway, AA have kindly switched me with a minimum of fuss an no extra to pay to the BA operated AA flight number in First.

Just waiting to receive the re-issued e-ticket.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 12:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, PriorityClub Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold fivestar
They kindly let me change a LHR->DFW->AUS flight to LHR->JFK->AUS with no change fee and a slight refund. Still disappointing because I would rather have a longer TATL flight on a 77W than a shorter one, but not much more that could be done.
Old Oct 8, 2014, 1:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SMFlagg
Now I'm disappointed. Expert flyer has both AA50 and AA78 as F0, which to me implies that uncertainty exists as far as whether an old or refurbished 772 is assigned.
I imagine you are flying on June 23rd as that is the only day that month where F0 exists, all other days are F6/7.

This far out it seems a little unlikely that they would zero out F on both the 77W and the 772 so it may just be that F really is full on that day.

However, I wouldn't depend on any of the AA78 flights actually having F by then so why not use the change of metal to get AA to move you to AA50 a day earlier or a day later?

In similar circumstances they moved me and my wife to AA50 without any problems at all and without needing the same fare classes available either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.