Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW / Dallas-Ft. Worth Layover Questions (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Dallas - Ft. Worth International Airport Layover Information and Discussion

Q. What is the easiest / fastest way to get around the terminals or to my departure terminal?
The SkyLink airside elevated train is reached by escalators or lifts/elevators, travels in both clockwise and anti-clockwise directions with two minutes' headway. The average SkyLink ride is 5 minutes, the longest 9 minutes. You shouldn't require more than 10-15 minutes gate to gate.
SkyLink access locations (upstairs by escalator or elevator / lift)
  • Terminal A: Between A13 and A16 and between A29 and A34
  • Terminal B: Between B9 and B12 and between B28 and B31
  • Terminal C: Between C8 and C12 and between C27 and C32
  • Terminal D (International): Between D11 and D20 and between D24 and D34
  • Terminal E (US Airways): Between E8 and E11 and between E31 and E32

For other information, use provided links:
AA Guide: DFW / Dallas - Fort Worth Int. Airport & MCT / Connection (master thread) ...
AA DFW airport information page
American Airlines C. R. Smith (AA aviation) Museum

Animal Relief Areas: Terminals A, B, C - Lower level grassy areas.
Terminal D - Lower level, outside the D30/D31 Baggage Claim area. Cross the roadway to the parking garage.

Updated 30 Apr 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

DFW / Dallas-Ft. Worth Layover Questions (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2014, 8:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
If you were going to sleep at the Minute Suites in Term D (they have overnight from 11PM-7AM for $130) how does one get in? Maybe OT, but was curious...
I don't have an answer to your question, but I recently had an overnight connection at DFW a and stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn (DFW South) that offered easy shuttle service and had a decent stay for ~$105 all in. Check-in 3 pm and checkout 12 pm. IMO beats the slats out of Minute Suites in comfort and price.

There's always sleepinginairports.net for the obstinately frugal. This link for DFW.

by Wexler
"I slept here during a crappy overnight layover on my way back to Boston from Costa Rica. Similar to what another reviewer said, the couches/play area has been moved to around B11. The play area has brightly colored couches and nearby is a single leather couch and a few larger padded chairs. The chairs didn't recline and the couch was already taken, so I was forced to look elsewhere.

I exited security (at roughly the D27) exit and found several roomy, semi-circular black leather couches outside of the AA ticketing counters. There was a TV on all night, and sporadic cleaning and announcements, but with earplugs it wasn't too bad at all. No one bothered me, the temperature was fine, and when I got up at 5:20 there wasn't even anyone on the nearby couches/chairs. There was at least one outlet nearby.

Another reviewer was correct that the best restaurants are around the D gates, although there seemed to be good options throughout the terminals.

All in all, not a bad experience (well, for sleeping in an airport)."
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by catmndu
Early next month I have an overnight layover on my way to the Turks and Caicos for my birthday (cheaper fare and lodging than taking the non-stop dfw-pls flight on a Saturday). I leave on a Sunday morning at 6:30am from DFW with a plane change in CLT (yes, a mixed metal itinerary). I haven't originated at DFW since the early nineties. I'm going to have a checked bag and am trying to figure out what time to check in. Officially AA says 2 hours but that seems overly extreme.

Any suggestions on an appropriate check in time? The DFW-CLT flight is on AA metal and I will still be EXP at that point. I would do just carry on but I'll have some things in my bag that TSA won't let me carry into the cabin.

Many Thanks!
Ignore the "suggested" times and look at the minimums:

For flights originating outside the U.S. or flights departing the U.S. for an international destination:

Minimum check-in is at least 60 minutes before scheduled departure except in Buenos Aires, Dublin and Maracaibo, Venezuela. See table below for details.
Arrive at the gate and be ready to board at least 30 minutes prior to scheduled departure

Minimum Time for Checked Baggage Acceptance

For flights originating in airports outside the U.S. or flights departing the U.S. for an international destination:

Check bags at least 60 minutes prior to scheduled departure. Some locations have earlier check-in cutoff times. Please see the table above for details.
As an EXP on a weekend morning, check in lines should be short. Getting to the terminal at 75 minutes should be plenty.

If you are overnighting at an off-airport hotel, though, make sure to allow enough time for their shuttle or a cab.
Old Dec 4, 2014, 12:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by JDiver
I don't have an answer to your question, but I recently had an overnight connection at DFW a and stayed at a Hilton Garden Inn (DFW South) that offered easy shuttle service and had a decent stay for ~$105 all in. Check-in 3 pm and checkout 12 pm. IMO beats the slats out of Minute Suites in comfort and price..
Absolutely agree.

But in the event you arrive after midnight and have say a 6:20AM depart, grabbing a few hours BEHIND security might give you 1-2 more hours in the sack.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Quick question [12 hour layover at DFW]

I'll be arriving in DFW around 10:00 on AC, departing 22:00 on AA.

I THINK I'll just end up paying the $50 to spend the day in the AA Lounge, but will there be any problem getting through security around 12 hours prior to my departure? I'll have to switch terminals so staying on the secure side seems to be out. I'm thinking I'll wanna check my bag too, but if they won't accept it that early then I'll just carry it around with me.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 10:53 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If you arrive pre-cleared from Canada you'll arrive airside, and the airside SkyLink train makes it quick and easy to travel between terminals.

See the wiki in this thread for how it works.

If you have a $50 pass, you can visit several Clubs. Use the Lounge Dashboard sticky thread to access the DFW Clubs thread, and of course the Texas Forum for what to do at / near DFW.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
If you have any AMEX card, you can get into the Centurion lounge for $50 (AMEX Platinum will get you in for free). I'd suggest that one.

Also, gates can and do change. If you're on AA mainline, there's no way to tell which gate your flights will actually use as AA operates from A/C/D. US operates from E, and Eagle from B (except for Eagle international, which will usually use D).

Last edited by aamilesslave; Jun 10, 2015 at 9:20 am
Old Jun 10, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
Oh and see I thought the Centurion was free with Amex (anything). I don't have my amex anymore either way. I'm on AC arriving at E (according to wiki) then AA to MEX so it looks like either A,C or D. But that's cool I like checking out airports anyway and I've only ever been to DFW once briefly.

Maybe someone can tell me this, any idea if AA will accept my checked bag like 10 hours prior?
Old Jun 10, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA, HH
Originally Posted by drvannostren
Oh and see I thought the Centurion was free with Amex (anything). I don't have my amex anymore either way. I'm on AC arriving at E (according to wiki) then AA to MEX so it looks like either A,C or D. But that's cool I like checking out airports anyway and I've only ever been to DFW once briefly.

Maybe someone can tell me this, any idea if AA will accept my checked bag like 10 hours prior?
If you are on AA to MEX my money is on your departure being from terminal D.
Old Jun 10, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by itchief
If you are on AA to MEX my money is on your departure being from terminal D.
Agree. Almost 100% likelihood MEX will depart from D. Even if you don't spend money on lounge access, D is where you want to be....the good restaurants are there, too, unless you really want to go to Pappadeaux or Pappasitos.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:37 pm

Got a 3 hour layover at DFW next week, what should I do?

Mods if there is already another appropriate thread please feel free to move.

So my wife and I are coming back from a trip to Cancun on May 8 and we're scheduled to have a 3 hour layover at DFW. What is the best way to kill a couple of hours there? We don't have Admirals Club access since it's a Mexico flight but we do have a Platinum Select Mastercard so maybe we could convince Citi to offer us a pair of day passes? Short of that is there anywhere in particular that offers a comfortable sanctuary? We'll be there from 4-7 and probably wouldn't mind some food before we hop on our short second leg back to MCI.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2MM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott PLT, National Exec Elite
Go to terminal D, park up at the Reata Bar, enjoy a good margarita.... you will be done in time for your next flight.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA 1mm; SPG Gold
Cousins BBQ.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Go to one of the XpresSpas for a back massage.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CMShaffer07
Mods if there is already another appropriate thread please feel free to move.

So my wife and I are coming back from a trip to Cancun on May 8 and we're scheduled to have a 3 hour layover at DFW. What is the best way to kill a couple of hours there? We don't have Admirals Club access since it's a Mexico flight but we do have a Platinum Select Mastercard so maybe we could convince Citi to offer us a pair of day passes? Short of that is there anywhere in particular that offers a comfortable sanctuary? We'll be there from 4-7 and probably wouldn't mind some food before we hop on our short second leg back to MCI.
Upgrade to the Citi Exec Card and get an AC membership. Problem solved
But seriously, DFW has a ton of bars/restaurants, pick one, hang out. 3 Hours is not that long of a layover..
Old Apr 29, 2017, 7:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Terminal A, Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.