Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

DFW / Dallas-Ft. Worth Layover Questions (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Dallas - Ft. Worth International Airport Layover Information and Discussion

Q. What is the easiest / fastest way to get around the terminals or to my departure terminal?
The SkyLink airside elevated train is reached by escalators or lifts/elevators, travels in both clockwise and anti-clockwise directions with two minutes' headway. The average SkyLink ride is 5 minutes, the longest 9 minutes. You shouldn't require more than 10-15 minutes gate to gate.
SkyLink access locations (upstairs by escalator or elevator / lift)
  • Terminal A: Between A13 and A16 and between A29 and A34
  • Terminal B: Between B9 and B12 and between B28 and B31
  • Terminal C: Between C8 and C12 and between C27 and C32
  • Terminal D (International): Between D11 and D20 and between D24 and D34
  • Terminal E (US Airways): Between E8 and E11 and between E31 and E32

For other information, use provided links:
AA Guide: DFW / Dallas - Fort Worth Int. Airport & MCT / Connection (master thread) ...
AA DFW airport information page
American Airlines C. R. Smith (AA aviation) Museum

Animal Relief Areas: Terminals A, B, C - Lower level grassy areas.
Terminal D - Lower level, outside the D30/D31 Baggage Claim area. Cross the roadway to the parking garage.

Updated 30 Apr 2017 - JDiver
Print Wikipost

DFW / Dallas-Ft. Worth Layover Questions (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
What day? I'll guest you into either if I am there.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA
DFW Overnight Layover [overnight connection questions]

I'm award ticket from ICN to IAH with a 12hr overnight layover at DFW and have a few questions.

Will I receive the ticket for DFW-IAH when checking in at ICN? If not, can I receive it upon landing at DFW even though the flight is 12hrs away? Reason I ask is because I want to get back behind security, so I can use the lounges. Also, can I immediately drop off my checked luggage when exiting customs?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:21 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Yes you should get the boarding pass when you check in for the first flight. And yes, you will be able to drop your luggage when exiting customs.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
I would first confirm which lounge you think is open 24 hrs a day.

You refer to a 12 hour overnght stay. The Admirals Club, for example, closes at 10:30 each evening
Old Nov 23, 2014, 7:53 pm

Thank you GB and Thumber. I'll actually be spending the night at a friend's house, so I just wanted to wait around in lounge until traffic dies down.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:01 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by txrandom
Thank you GB and Thumber. I'll actually be spending the night at a friend's house, so I just wanted to wait around in lounge until traffic dies down.
We don't know your status or class of service, and of course you'd have to pass through security to return airside. I'm not entirely sure a boarding pass for "tomorrow's" flight the DFW TSA will allow that. Perhaps another member might be able to answer definitively.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
With a 12 hour connection, you may not be able to get your bags tagged all the way through.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
We don't know your status or class of service, and of course you'd have to pass through security to return airside. I'm not entirely sure a boarding pass for "tomorrow's" flight the DFW TSA will allow that. Perhaps another member might be able to answer definitively.
It's the Centurion Lounge, so I just need my Amex Plat. I'm mainly trying to figure out if my boarding pass will allow entry through security that early before the flight. But I just remembered the United Club can issue gate passes, so I may be able to go that route if needed.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 8:01 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by JDiver
I'm not entirely sure a boarding pass for "tomorrow's" flight the DFW TSA will allow that.
I doubt that TSA will let you through with a boarding pass for tomorrow, unless it's for a soon-after-midnight departure. And if that's the rule, I doubt the fact that you just arrived on an inbound connecting flight would make any difference.

As to luggage on overnight connections, the official AA rule is that it's allowed if the connection is less than 12 hours. For connections more than 12 hours, you have to re-claim and re-check. I don't know about those of exactly 12 hours, but I doubt yours is exactly 12 anyway. I don't know how much discretion the ICN agents will have when tagging the bags, or if the computer will strictly enforce the rule.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 9:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Steve M
I doubt that TSA will let you through with a boarding pass for tomorrow, unless it's for a soon-after-midnight departure. And if that's the rule, I doubt the fact that you just arrived on an inbound connecting flight would make any difference.

As to luggage on overnight connections, the official AA rule is that it's allowed if the connection is less than 12 hours. For connections more than 12 hours, you have to re-claim and re-check. I don't know about those of exactly 12 hours, but I doubt yours is exactly 12 anyway. I don't know how much discretion the ICN agents will have when tagging the bags, or if the computer will strictly enforce the rule.
By the time the OP is out of USCBP with bag(s) in hand, it should be under 12 hours and he might be able to have the folks at the baggage counter exiting Customs to check the baggage onward. But I'd not take bets on it.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:00 am

After looking at my ticket again, the connection is actually a few hours over, so I may not be able to do this at all. I could turn one checked back into a carry-on to go back through security, but not both.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by txrandom
After looking at my ticket again, the connection is actually a few hours over, so I may not be able to do this at all. I could turn one checked back into a carry-on to go back through security, but not both.
Unless you are headed home and dont care about arriving with your essentials, Id always have ONE carry on with 1-2 days changes and hard to replace items....

I suspect the 'recheck bag issue' and 'get a boarding pass issue' will be linked... update the thread once you find out.

There is a thread somewhere on holding bags at DFW. As I recall no at the Grand Hyatt unless you are a guest, maybe at the other one.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP
What time is your morning flight? Even with a boarding pass for that one, it's likely that you won't be allowed through security the night before.
Old Nov 24, 2014, 3:55 pm

If you were going to sleep at the Minute Suites in Term D (they have overnight from 11PM-7AM for $130) how does one get in? Maybe OT, but was curious...
Old Dec 4, 2014, 7:12 am

Programs: AA EXP
different question but relevent thread

Early next month I have an overnight layover on my way to the Turks and Caicos for my birthday (cheaper fare and lodging than taking the non-stop dfw-pls flight on a Saturday). I leave on a Sunday morning at 6:30am from DFW with a plane change in CLT (yes, a mixed metal itinerary). I haven't originated at DFW since the early nineties. I'm going to have a checked bag and am trying to figure out what time to check in. Officially AA says 2 hours but that seems overly extreme.

Any suggestions on an appropriate check in time? The DFW-CLT flight is on AA metal and I will still be EXP at that point. I would do just carry on but I'll have some things in my bag that TSA won't let me carry into the cabin.

Many Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.