Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Changes to Hawaii service since merger, late 2014 on (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Hawaii Service
Changes since merger and going forward
AA operates Hawai'i service with

West Coast - Airbus A321H ETOPS (similar to A321S, may be weight restricted)

PHX: LUS ex-“East” Boeing 757-200* (new​​​​​​​ 75H) with 12 F recliner seats and 176 Y including MCE (ten of these will be used going forward). Seasonal flights with the Airbus A330-300.

DFW , seasonal ORD Hawaii Flights are operated with lie flat Business seat, Boeing 767-323ER; 777-200ER / 772 seasonal variations may occur.

*The LUS B75H "West" models) have been returned to their lessor. (Thanks to TWA884 - see here.)
Print Wikipost

Changes to Hawaii service since merger, late 2014 on (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hawaii-bound
KOA-DFW is catered locally and may not have the ability of providing pre-order. The meal provided (choice of 2 entrees) is one of the best airline meals we have tasted.
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to checking it out then!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Ambassador, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I just flew OGG-DFW in Main Cabin Extra (really just the Row 17 bulkhead). Their service in Main Cabin was similar to an international flight; everyone got some free food and one drink (including booze). I made the mistake of ordering red wine, which was the worst wine I've ever consumed on a plane (church-quality). Main Cabin Extra afforded no extra food/drink over the rest of Main Cabin, but "Main Cabin Extra" hardly exists on this 777 now that Premium Economy is present.

Also, despite the extra legroom, my butt (and wife's) was extremely sore throughout this flight. I can't tell if it was due to the reduced width, insufficient padding, or both. Regardless, I would not pay extra for this "Main Cabin Extra" experience.

Last edited by patmcpsu; Dec 14, 2018 at 7:16 am
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by patmcpsu
I just flew OGG-DFW in Main Cabin Extra (really just the Row 17 bulkhead). Their service in Main Cabin was similar to an international flight; everyone got some free food and one drink (including booze). I made the mistake of ordering red wine, which was the worst wine I've ever consumed on a plane (church-quality). Main Cabin Extra afforded no extra food/drink over the rest of Main Cabin, but "Main Cabin Extra" hardly exists on this 777 now that Premium Economy is present.

Also, despite the extra legroom, my butt (and wife's) was extremely sore throughout this flight. I can't tell if it was due to the reduced width, insufficient padding, or both. Regardless, I would not pay extra for this "Main Cabin Extra" experience.
AA never advertised any extra pn board service in MCE v Coach, you get more legroom not sure why it was a surprise to you.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:26 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
AA never advertised any extra pn board service in MCE v Coach, you get more legroom not sure why it was a surprise to you.
The AA website mentions MCE providing a free alcoholic drink?
Main Cabin Extra
Old Dec 17, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

The AA website mentions MCE providing a free alcoholic drink?
Main Cabin Extra
Did you get the free booze?
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Did you get the free booze?
I got one alcoholic drink in MCE, which was the same as MC got. My original post highlighted the lack of difference between MC and MCE on this flight, and you seem to be mocking me for it. I feel that I'm sharing valuable information that may sway other FT'ers from spending the extra money.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:04 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
I got one alcoholic drink in MCE, which was the same as MC got. My original post highlighted the lack of difference between MC and MCE on this flight, and you seem to be mocking me for it. I feel that I'm sharing valuable information that may sway other FT'ers from spending the extra money.
I don't think the other poster is trying to mock you. The question is: did you ask for another alcoholic beverage and it was denied? Or you only ordered one and got one? I'll usually ask for a double Woodford in MCE, and I've never had that denied.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by chrisny2
I don't think the other poster is trying to mock you. The question is: did you ask for another alcoholic beverage and it was denied? Or you only ordered one and got one? I'll usually ask for a double Woodford in MCE, and I've never had that denied.
If that's the case, then yes, a 2nd round of drinks was requested* and denied. I believe they didn't want to start an appearance of a 2nd round of drinks for everybody in MC, given that there was only one row of MCE in that vicinity. It creates an awkward situation.

*not requested by me, but by a stranger on the other side of the aisle
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
If that's the case, then yes, a 2nd round of drinks was requested* and denied. I believe they didn't want to start an appearance of a 2nd round of drinks for everybody in MC, given that there was only one row of MCE in that vicinity. It creates an awkward situation.

MCE is not supposed to be limited to 1 free drink. It is a clearly stated benefit of paying extra for MCE, along with the extra legroom, of course.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Yes and even in the MCE ad in the back of American Way the woman featured is clearly having a double Jack Daniels LOL.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:29 am

I glanced back, and the people in the row behind me (in MC) had a double whiskey and coke on their first round. I didn't make a point to see if the guy across from me (in MCE) had a double on his first go-round or not. Regardless, my point is, MCE gets you no extra booze on this route than those in MC, despite being an advertised benefit. I'm assuming it's a combination of:
  1. Being a rare domestic route where everyone in Main Cabin gets a free round of drinks
  2. The 777 only having a couple MCE rows, which become an afterthought and a potential source of conflict
Also, the red wine on this route is atrocious. Cough syrup quality, and significantly worse than any other wine I've ever experienced on AA.

Last edited by patmcpsu; Dec 18, 2018 at 1:31 am Reason: Wanted to point out one more time how awful the wine quality is
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

I glanced back, and the people in the row behind me (in MC) had a double whiskey and coke on their first round. I didn't make a point to see if the guy across from me (in MCE) had a double on his first go-round or not. Regardless, my point is, MCE gets you no extra booze on this route than those in MC, despite being an advertised benefit. I'm assuming it's a combination of:
  1. Being a rare domestic route where everyone in Main Cabin gets a free round of drinks
  2. The 777 only having a couple MCE rows, which become an afterthought and a potential source of conflict
Also, the red wine on this route is atrocious. Cough syrup quality, and significantly worse than any other wine I've ever experienced on AA.
Have you flown this route more then once in MCE to make this claim? On our flight to PEK we were in MCE and never had a problem with getting booze...
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:42 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National

This makes no sense - there has to have been a misunderstanding here, unless that passenger was cut off because s/he was intoxicated. Even if the FA was confused about the free alcohol benefit, the normal answer wouldn't be "no more alcohol", it would be "$9 please."

And I've been on a number of flights with one row of MCE in the vicinity - the flight attendants just swipe cards for others and not for those in that row.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
Eyemasks in F?

Flying the OGG-DFW overnight flight in a few weeks up front on the 772. If it were an international flight, there would be an amenity kit with an eyemask, but technically this is a domestic flight and it doesn't count as a Transcon either. Can anyone tell me whether eyemasks are provided?
Old May 26, 2019, 11:04 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Gildas
Flying the OGG-DFW overnight flight in a few weeks up front on the 772. If it were an international flight, there would be an amenity kit with an eyemask, but technically this is a domestic flight and it doesn't count as a Transcon either. Can anyone tell me whether eyemasks are provided?
they are not

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.