Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Changes to Hawaii service since merger, late 2014 on (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 7, 2016, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AA Hawaii Service
Changes since merger and going forward
AA operates Hawai'i service with

West Coast - Airbus A321H ETOPS (similar to A321S, may be weight restricted)

PHX: LUS ex-“East” Boeing 757-200* (new​​​​​​​ 75H) with 12 F recliner seats and 176 Y including MCE (ten of these will be used going forward). Seasonal flights with the Airbus A330-300.

DFW , seasonal ORD Hawaii Flights are operated with lie flat Business seat, Boeing 767-323ER; 777-200ER / 772 seasonal variations may occur.

*The LUS B75H "West" models) have been returned to their lessor. (Thanks to TWA884 - see here.)
Print Wikipost

Changes to Hawaii service since merger, late 2014 on (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2014, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I'm really not looking forward to my flights to HNL to/from DFW in November. Watch them yank the tablets and Bose headsets on those just like they did on my JFK-Seattle flts in August.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:19 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by Fanjet
And what they also seem to leave out, is that F tickets are a lot cheaper than what they used to be. Pre-deregulation, an F ticket was 50% more than full-fare Y. Then, in the 90's, we began to see "instant upgrade" fares. But even then, that was off of a full-fare Y ticket. Now, we have F tickets (or A/I/P) that can be had for around $900 RT between west coast cities and east coast cities. Which isn't that much more than middle bucket coach fares. Are people willing to go back to F having a 50% fare premium over Y in order to retain that delicious meal on a 2hr flight served on a linen-lined tray?
Except on many routes, First fares for 2014 on AA have increased 15% or more over 2013 prices- as witnessed on the price I pay on a Texas-East Coast flight that I buy discounted First tickets.

Did that fare drop back to 2013 prices, or even cheaper prices when the systemwide meal downgrades happened on September 1st? No.

As a betting man, I'd be willing to bet on almost 0 routes that had better meals pre September 1, First Class fares have not dropped at all.

And speaking of meal quality in F when F fares were 50% more than full Y, the meals in domestic F were of a better quality pre-deregulation.

The September 1 meal cuts in F were to trim expenses and sort of balance out what US offered on comparable flight lengths-- though some US flights did see a better meal offering since the merger. But some pmAA customers such as myself view the meal cuts as greed and a further race to the bottom for AA.

Back on the topic of the cuts in F on the DFW/ORD-Hawaii flights, the little things like the candied pineapple chunks in the nut mix and the premium sweet butter in the ramekin--a higher quality butter than the packets--helped make the flights extra special. I really hope these little "extra" touches aren't gone from the flights for good.

I'm not saying an action like this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back for our flying with AA, but frankly this stinks.

I guess we should have expected crap like this with a merger with an airline whose former stock symbol was LCC.

Last edited by Max M; Sep 6, 2014 at 3:34 am
Old Sep 6, 2014, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by MAH4546
The AA/US merger is unprecedented among major airline mergers in this country: a bare-bones, low cost airline (US Airways) merged with a full-service airline (American Airlines).
Sounds like NW (bare bones) and DL (full service)
Old Sep 6, 2014, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Sounds like NW (bare bones) and DL (full service)
And now DL has the best product among major US airlines. Dougie seems to be choosing a different path.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by TXguy
And now DL has the best product among major US airlines. Dougie seems to be choosing a different path.
Would that be their "More Coach Throughout Coach" product? Or their Sky Pesos product?
Old Sep 7, 2014, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Nobody needs to go back to anything. American Airlines had an excellent meal program and profited $1.9B. I don't see people clamoring for filet mignons and lobster. Just a decent quality meal, like AA once had.
Exactly. Even with AA's "overly generous" meals, new AA earned $1.9 billion just in the first six months of 2014. As the newly cheapened HPdbaAA meal policies didn't take effect until 2/3 of the way thru the third quarter, the cheapskate routine won't be able to harm the third quarter profits. As to 2015? We'll see next year.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I'm really not looking forward to my flights to HNL to/from DFW in November. Watch them yank the tablets and Bose headsets on those just like they did on my JFK-Seattle flts in August.
I was pretty upset when they didn't offer the tablets and bose headsets on an LAX - LIH flight I was on.

Has anyone else been on either the OGG/HNL - DFW flights since the change other than OP? I am particularly interested in the tablets and bottled water availability.

I haven't booked yet and will wait for more data before I do!
Old Sep 9, 2014, 8:47 pm

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
The interest in the tablet I REALLY get. But bottled water???? Seriously?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by TXguy
In J maybe, but DL J's still cannot compete with the AA A321T F or the 77W F products. So for some of us, AA is still the better option.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 6:13 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
In J maybe, but DL J's still cannot compete with the AA A321T F or the 77W F products. So for some of us, AA is still the better option.
In service and food they sure can. As far as the seat goes, I agree with you.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by LINDEGR
The interest in the tablet I REALLY get. But bottled water???? Seriously?
Yep. I drink an absolute ton of water in the air. I don't want to have to cart 4 bottles on board with me, as I expect it to be provided in first class.

People are on here complaining about ice cream, which I personally find absurd, but if it matters to them, then it matters.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by ashap
Yep. I drink an absolute ton of water in the air. I don't want to have to cart 4 bottles on board with me, as I expect it to be provided in first class.

People are on here complaining about ice cream, which I personally find absurd, but if it matters to them, then it matters.
Fair point. But the ice cream people can't easily bring their own on board.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 1:40 pm

Location: Stuck Between the Moon and CLD or SAN, Your local Taco Bell
Programs: AA EXP/LT PLT, DL PM, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ashap
I was pretty upset when they didn't offer the tablets and bose headsets on an LAX - LIH flight I was on.
I don't recall this being on the last AA LAX-LIH I took, pre-merger. I believe it was only the DFW (and maybe ORD?) flights that got these to begin with.

I flew UA on my last Hawaii turn, and they did not offer headsets or tablets LAX-OGG or LIH-LAX either.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by LINDEGR
In service and food they sure can. As far as the seat goes, I agree with you.
Have you flown with a DL JFK-based crew recently? The ones on my last flight were plain obnoxious, so much so that a rather impatient Diamond member outright told one of them: "I'm Diamond and take this flight every week. I will write to Delta because this level of service is unacceptable. Cancel my drink, I'll buy my own when we land." Priceless. Then again, AA also has bad crews on this route frequently.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 7:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by McFlyPHL
I don't recall this being on the last AA LAX-LIH I took, pre-merger. I believe it was only the DFW (and maybe ORD?) flights that got these to begin with.

I flew UA on my last Hawaii turn, and they did not offer headsets or tablets LAX-OGG or LIH-LAX either.
I've flown LAX-LIH and DFW-OGG both this year. The west coast flight did not offer headsets, tablets or extra water bottles. The DFW-OGG flight offered all three.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.