Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

This thread touches upon shared individual experiences when flying First/Business domestically on AA/US, in regards to meal service (sharing menus/photos/experiences, both good and bad), as well as answering questions. Both carriers are still operating separately, but as of 9/1, domestic meal service (including Alaska and Hawaii) has been standardized across both carriers. Hence, the meal experience should be identical on both carriers, across the board, domestically.

What should we expect?

MEAL WINDOWS:

Up to 699 miles (under 2 hours):
Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels.

700-899 miles (2 – 2:30 hours)
A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights (Lite Bites), with exceptions (see below).

900 – 1,298 miles (2:45 – 3:30 hours)
Warmed mixed nuts and a heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights.

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)
Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entrée followed by cake for dessert. For flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert – specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate. Redeye flights in the category of 2,200 miles and above will have a snack basket to begin, then will receive an arrival continental breakfast box. (This does not apply to certain transcons, listed below.)

CERTAIN MARKETS:

A321 Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO):

• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
  • Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
  • A snack served shortly before arrival

Note: This focuses specifically on JFK-LAX/SFO service.

Hawaiian Flights:

Between Hawaii and DFW/ORD:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
  • Bottle of water
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Hawaii and LAX/PHX:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Pre-made sundae
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

EXCEPTION MARKETS:

Exception flights will fall between approximately 600-999 miles. Those flights will receive the same level of service as the published 1000-1299 miles parameters.

• Between DFW and: DTW, ORD, SLC
  • Between FLL and: PAP
  • Between JFK and: FLL, MCO, TPA
  • Between MIA and: IAH, PAP
  • Between MSP and: CLT, PHL
  • Between ORD and: BOS, DCA, DEN, JFK, LGA, RDU, AUS

Some of this information has been copied from the AA/US websites. This Wiki will be updated if there are any modifications made to the combined carrier's meal policy.

ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE

Flights departing DFW

Print Wikipost

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Stripe
AA278 ANC-DFW 8:45pm
Drinks were served with a bag of updated snack mix. Updated in the sense that the single almond has been replaced by a single cashew. They then passed around the short-haul snack basket supplemented with two pre-packaged sandwiches. The turkey pictured below, and something with cream cheese and jalapeno and some other stuff, which I did not try. The "sandwich" measured 2 inches x 2 inches.

What a pathetic disgrace.

When I asked for another one and mentioned the tiny size, the FA said "welcome to the new American". AA is working hard to lower my expectations, and making DL look better and better.
Sad but true.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:44 am

Mods, I believe the OP has mis-posted this image. As a housekeeping item, please move this to the appropriate thread. Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Mods, I believe the OP has mis-posted this image. As a housekeeping item, please move this to the appropriate thread. Thanks!
That Air Koryo Y meal looks a heck of a lot better!
Old Sep 3, 2014, 11:12 am

Programs: DL PM
That sandwich looks disgusting.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't always take photos of my food, but when I do, it's either because it's dreadful or spectacular. In this case, the former applies.

HNL-DFW, shrimp appetizer, carrot/cabbage "salad", no orchid, no greens, no sweet butter

HNL-DFW, ground up, soggy breaded chicken stuffed with a surprise (supposedly mushrooms), crunchy white rice, green beans

DFW-ORD, chicken breast with glop, flavorless and very sad-looking fried rice, and green beans

Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
This is very disappointing. I guess nobody should be surprised that AA was going to turn into US, it's just very unfortunate timing coming right after AA rose (in my opinion) to the top of the domestic carriers. The big changes like going to the terrible snack box are clearly terrible. They could turn it around and put some high quality items in there and still avoid having to do a meal service, something like Pret sandwiches and gourmet snacks, but going to the lowest possible quality is very sad.

I almost think the little changes are worse, especially the biscuit. The BOB biscuits were so good and made breakfast flights very enjoyable, especially with the oatmeal. I always noticed how they were infinitely better than DL's awful baked goods. But that was unfortunately short lived.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by WheelsFirst
The BOB biscuits were so good and made breakfast flights very enjoyable
Having been born and raised in the South, I consider myself as being able to identify a good biscuit, and AA's on-board offering always thoroughly impressed me. Sad to see it go.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
With all the pictures and comments, it legitimately looks like AA went with mostly US menus, items, and quality control. I can't believe that the savings were *so* much that they thought regular travelers would not notice. When paying (either with AAupgrades or purchased first) I expect more....and it's cheaper/more pleasant to buy the best airport meal and sit in MCE than it is to wonder if you're gambling on your experience.

Keep reporting back...your opinions matter and help the rest of us decide what we think about our new normal.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
can someone confirm they are no longer baking cookies and biscuits on board?
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Checking the AA website right now fields 'Dinner' coded for the 8:40pm BOS-LAX flight, as well as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight. Those are the only AA westbound transcons leaving after 8pm, other than JFK-LAX/SFO (which gets snack and brunch after 8pm). This is for 9/4.

I'm able to select between two choices for those flights (chicken piccata or artichoke ravioli) on the preordering page. Not saying you're wrong, just pointing out what's being shown on AA's website.
I hope I am wrong. Athough I see dinner service listed on the availability screens, I feel better knowing that you have been offered entree choices. I would happily be wrong and have dinner on Friday nights...On 8/29 at 8:40 I was served what the cabin crew referred to as a "transitional service" it was a long haul (not Trans-Continental entree) a roll served on the tray with no plate and a pre-packaged ice cream cup. They assured however that after 9/1 even West bound was going to be "Snack Basket" service. On the way back it was definitely a snack basket I saw chips and nuts and tiny 1" sandwiches that had been heat sealed in tiny bags somewhere long ago and far away.

After I wrote the last commentary I was handed the continental breakfast box which contained a yogurt drink and a tiny croissant sealed much as the sandwich had been earlier in the flight, there was a tube of jam and some kind of little bag of crunchies......It was less than I would expect from a coach snack box..

I don't need much but on a 2600+ overnight flight I expect then to give me a sandwich ON A PLATE, a decent napkin and maybe a bag of chips... if I ask for one.....not sealed packs, and boxes without a single piece of silverware and no linens........That's what First Class SERVICE is all about....I fly with some great Flight Attendants that I have come to like very much. I am confident that they are not driving these changes. They are happy to provide service to appreciative passengers on longer flights.

American could be innovative or even crafty and cut costs without destroying their F/C experience. As I said, a plated peanut butter sandwhich would have satisfied me. What I received was as much an insult as it was plain old old and tasteless......To add insult to insult someone on the crew even pointed out that the boxes are labeled "Made for USAirways".....it shows how little planning and attention they are giving to the in-flight experience.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL DM; Global Entry; MR Gold; HH Gold; Nat'l EC
Originally Posted by MediocreAtBest

....To add insult to insult someone on the crew even pointed out that the boxes are labeled "Made for USAirways".....it shows how little planning and attention they are giving to the in-flight experience.
. Perhaps not a mistake. From the pictures I've seen, it's possible these "snacks" pre-date the merger.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Checking the AA website right now fields 'Dinner' coded for the 8:40pm BOS-LAX flight, as well as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight. Those are the only AA westbound transcons leaving after 8pm, other than JFK-LAX/SFO (which gets snack and brunch after 8pm). This is for 9/4.

I'm able to select between two choices for those flights (chicken piccata or artichoke ravioli) on the preordering page. Not saying you're wrong, just pointing out what's being shown on AA's website.
I hope I am wrong. Athough I see dinner service listed on the availability screens, I feel better knowing that you have been offered entree choices. I would happily be wrong and have dinner on Friday nights...On 8/29 at 8:40 I was served what the cabin crew referred to as a "transitional service" it was a long haul (not Trans-Continental entree) a roll served on the tray with no plate and a pre-packaged ice cream cup. They assured however that after 9/1 even West bound was going to be "Snack Basket" service. On the way back it was definitely a snack basket I saw chips and nuts and tiny 1" sandwiches that had been heat sealed in tiny bags somewhere long ago and far away.

After I wrote the last commentary I was handed the continental breakfast box which contained a yogurt drink and a tiny croissant sealed much as the sandwich had been earlier in the flight, there was a tube of jam and some kind of little bag of crunchies......It was less than I would expect from a coach snack box..

I don't need much but on a 2600+ overnight flight I expect then to give me a sandwich ON A PLATE, a decent napkin and maybe a bag of chips... if I ask for one.....not sealed packs, and boxes without a single piece of silverware and no linens........That's what First Class SERVICE is all about....I fly with some great Flight Attendants that I have come to like very much. I am confident that they are not driving these changes. They are happy to provide service to appreciative passengers on longer flights.

American could be innovative or even crafty and cut costs without destroying their F/C experience. As I said, a plated peanut butter sandwhich would have satisfied me. What I received was as much an insult as it was plain old old and tasteless......To add insult to insult someone on the crew even pointed out that the boxes are labeled "Made for USAirways".....it shows how little planning and attention they are giving to the in-flight experience.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP
That US Airways snack basket thing...awful. Had it today on a 750 mile lunch time flight - on AA that used to be a real meal. I chose a wrapped chicken curry "sandwich" that was about 2 bites - gross, who knows how long it had been sitting. The other options were potato chips, pretzels, or cookies. Seriously disappointing, none of this food was filling nor healthy.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by F&B767

On to DCA-DFW, I did this route just so you all could get some pics today...
Changes I noticed:

- New china for each element, including new nut dish which is stylish
- New glassware for cocktails and wine, have logo etched
- Paper tray insert, no linen
- New full size silverware, wrapped with paper holder. Seems like Intl silverware
- Appetizer
- Cookies no longer baked on-board
- Wine seems to have changed to much lighter varieties
- Good service flow if served properly since desert should not be on the tray
I took this same route and had the exact same meal you had on 9/1. The fish was the best thing on plate. The chicken was disgusting, dry and stringy. The sauce had no taste whatsoever. The salad might as well have been a leaf of lettuce. To cap it all off the cookies changed and tasted like garbage to be diplomatic. How do you mess a good thing up?!

I will say that the FA I had was excellent. He was the best I've had all year.

These changes make feel alright that I'm a lowly gold. I don't think I'll be wasting my stickers anytime soon.

On a completely unrelated note I got a charge out of talking to some staff at the DCA AC. When I said that Dougie P is a greedy guy I though that some of the staff were going to die laughing. He is so well received.
Old Sep 3, 2014, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
America West flew from BOS to PHX, LAS, LAX, and SFO all nonstop for several years up to and shortly following the merger with US.
I beg to differ America West operated Long Hauls from Boston to Phoenix and also from Boston to Las Vegas before the Las Vegas Hub was discontinued. At times flights through the Las Vegas, Phoenis and Columbus hubs continued to Los Angles (and perhaps San Francisco) but I don't think it was ever non-stop.

If that service did exist, even briefly I would be quite interested, even surprised, however I would be most interested in knowing when the routes were eliminated so that we can determine if they provide a reasonable basis for an alignment in 2014.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.