Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 31, 2014, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

This thread touches upon shared individual experiences when flying First/Business domestically on AA/US, in regards to meal service (sharing menus/photos/experiences, both good and bad), as well as answering questions. Both carriers are still operating separately, but as of 9/1, domestic meal service (including Alaska and Hawaii) has been standardized across both carriers. Hence, the meal experience should be identical on both carriers, across the board, domestically.

What should we expect?

MEAL WINDOWS:

Up to 699 miles (under 2 hours):
Enjoy a light snack such as a fig bar, cookies or pretzels.

700-899 miles (2 – 2:30 hours)
A heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights (Lite Bites), with exceptions (see below).

900 – 1,298 miles (2:45 – 3:30 hours)
Warmed mixed nuts and a heartier selection of snacks such as sandwiches and fresh fruit is served on most flights.

1,299+ miles (over 3:30 hours)
Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entrée followed by cake for dessert. For flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert – specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate. Redeye flights in the category of 2,200 miles and above will have a snack basket to begin, then will receive an arrival continental breakfast box. (This does not apply to certain transcons, listed below.)

CERTAIN MARKETS:

A321 Transcontinental Service (JFK-LAX/SFO):

• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
  • Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
  • A snack served shortly before arrival

Note: This focuses specifically on JFK-LAX/SFO service.

Hawaiian Flights:

Between Hawaii and DFW/ORD:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Choice of a customized sundae or a fruit and cheese plate
  • Bottle of water
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

Between Hawaii and LAX/PHX:

• Full meal with Hawaiian rolls plus two other bread options
  • Pre-made sundae
  • Selection of snacks prior to arrival

EXCEPTION MARKETS:

Exception flights will fall between approximately 600-999 miles. Those flights will receive the same level of service as the published 1000-1299 miles parameters.

• Between DFW and: DTW, ORD, SLC
  • Between FLL and: PAP
  • Between JFK and: FLL, MCO, TPA
  • Between MIA and: IAH, PAP
  • Between MSP and: CLT, PHL
  • Between ORD and: BOS, DCA, DEN, JFK, LGA, RDU, AUS

Some of this information has been copied from the AA/US websites. This Wiki will be updated if there are any modifications made to the combined carrier's meal policy.

ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLE

Flights departing DFW

Print Wikipost

Late 2014 AA/US Combined Domestic Meals - menu / pictures / etc. (Consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Major fail - DFW-ANC dinner

Just got off AA279. Boy what a difference a year makes. I took the same flight about a year ago. It was like night and day.

First the meal, since that's the subject of this thread...

NO appetizer.
Very small salad.
My entree was "beef in mustard sauce". Did not taste bad but was essentially cheap pot roast. Snap peas (or beans or whatever) were very fresh.
Bread was not warm.
Meal was preceded by the usual warm mixed nuts.
No menus. Just the usual verbal "beef or tortellini pasta" description.
FA did not have a note of my pre-ordered choice but it was available anyway.

Dessert...

... was a choice of a cheese/fruit plate or cup of ice cream (the familiar concoction some folks like to call "sludge"). The contents of the cheese plate were noticeably smaller than we are used to and the cup of ice cream contained about 1/3 the volume of ice cream that would have been the pre-9/1 norm. I asked for and received a second cup.

About 2 hours before landing FAs came through with a basket of whole fruit (apples, bananas, oranges).

The new coffee cups are miniscule. FA was embarrassed and served me tea in a normal sized styrofoam cup.

That was it. For a 6 hour, 40 minute flight. In "first class". Compare this to the same flight a year ago...
  • Printed menu.
  • Substantial appetizer course served separately.
  • Filet of beef as a main course choice.
  • Much larger salad.
  • Made-to-order sundaes for dessert.

Other significant downgrades...
  • Previously Samsung tablets and Bose headphones were distributed.
  • Previously pax got a pillow/duvet set.

To add insult to injury, the plane was an un-refurbished 757. Even if I had wanted to watch the garbage on the overhead monitor, it was positioned in such a way as to be impossible to see and the picture was grainy and the hue was off.

Crew was attentive, but they didn't have much to work with.

Overall, I got more (and better) food on my MKE-DFW flight two weeks ago. AA should be ashamed.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 10:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Compare and contrast:

2013 DFW-ANC

Did you happen to grab a picture of the cheese plate? And what the heck, no appetizer? Makes zero sense. Longer midcon lunches/dinners now have appetizers, but DFW-ANC, an almost 7 hours flight, can't even get an appetizer? Miscater? Don't think so, but doesn't hurt to speculate.

As for the duvets/pillows/tablets, let's hope those were just not loaded by accident. Let's see what other transcon reports say.

Originally Posted by Stripe
Just got off AA279. Boy what a difference a year makes. I took the same flight about a year ago. It was like night and day.

NO appetizer.

Dessert...
The contents of the cheese plate were noticeably smaller than we are used to

Other significant downgrades...
  • Previously Samsung tablets and Bose headphones were distributed.
  • Previously pax got a pillow/duvet set.

To add insult to injury, the plane was an un-refurbished 757. Even if I had wanted to watch the garbage on the overhead monitor, it was positioned in such a way as to be impossible to see and the picture was grainy and the hue was off.

Last edited by MrAndy1369; Sep 1, 2014 at 11:59 pm Reason: cleaned up quote to save space
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:13 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

That was it. For a 6 hour, 40 minute flight. In "first class". Compare this to the same flight a year ago...

Crew was attentive, but they didn't have much to work with.

Overall, I got more (and better) food on my MKE-DFW flight two weeks ago. AA should be ashamed.
So I dropped over a grand for this crap. I thought Hector Adler said the F+B budget went up (after the addition of the meals on US) and with reports like this, I do not see how this is possible.

I'll hold any further opinions until I do this trip later this month.
Old Sep 1, 2014, 11:50 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
American Airlines should be absolutely embarrassed. Have my first Virgin America flight next week. Won't look back, but will consider a return if things are reversed. MIALAX isn't affected by the cuts so I might stick to that given VX uses FLL.

I hope everybody is complaining to AA online, and after each and every flight.

Last edited by MAH4546; Sep 2, 2014 at 12:36 am
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:13 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Compare and contrast:

2013 DFW-ANC

Did you happen to grab a picture of the cheese plate? And what the heck, no appetizer? Makes zero sense. Longer midcon lunches/dinners now have appetizers, but DFW-ANC, an almost 7 hours flight, can't even get an appetizer? Miscater? Don't think so, but doesn't hurt to speculate.

As for the duvets/pillows/tablets, let's hope those were just not loaded by accident. Let's see what other transcon reports say.
Thanks for posting that link. That is exactly the meal I had a year ago.

I don't think the no-appetizer was a mis-cater. If you look at the tray there is no place they could have put one.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
I don't think the no-appetizer was a mis-cater. If you look at the tray there is no place they could have put one.
Are you sure? This flight would qualify as a two-step, dinner meal service. So the appetizer and salad (and roll) would have been served together; and the entree separately. Perhaps there are mis-catering issues due to the holiday weekend.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 2:11 am

Thumbs down Warning Boston Premium Flyers - 2611 Miles with no meal

American which is really USAirways which is really America West has determined that flights from Boston to Los Angeles and return are no longer to be considered Trans Continental.

I fly this round trip on late evening or overnight flights almost every weekend.

Until now I have experienced a full meal westbound and a very reasonable snack on my way East.

Westbound - Appetizer, Salad, Main Course, Ice Cream Sundae, and later in the flight Warm Cookies baked on board).
Eastbound - A small hot meal , or salad with an optional chicken skewer, or fruit plate.

The Management of AmericaWest who are now operating under the American Airlines name have reduced this to a "snack basket" for my flight times. That means I am offered chips, and other packaged snacks from a basket which it held out to me by the flight attendant. It is similar to the main cabin service on JetBlue or Virgin America.

There is no meal, there are no linens, there is no silverware, I am lucky to have my reduced size (fuel and space saving) coffee mug, and a stir stick.

Did I make myself clear? There is no meal. 5+ hours Westbound, and 4+ hours Eastbound with no meal in First Class on this "non Trans Continental" coast to coast flight.

I am told that this is to bring service into alignment with USAirways, but I am not able to accept that explanation as neither USAirways nor AmericaWest ever operated non stop service from New England to California.

The flight crew and AA's website both indicate that true transcontinental service will only be available from New York and Miami.....Apparently this is because AA's management feels there is more competition in these markets. There must be some explanation unrelated to flight length and/or passenger comfort as the Boston flights are certainly longer than flights to New York.

Perhaps there is less competition from Boston, but there are 4 other airlines that operate non-stops to LAX alone 3 of the 4 offer a premium cabin, two offer in seat video throughout the aircraft.

I am hoping this is just an error made by some scheduling computer somewhere, but I fear this is the cost saving spirit of the New American. They will have to adjust their polices if they ever hope to become to attract premium customers and become anything other than the low price, low service ugly duckling carrier that America West and later USAirways had become.

Sadly I it won't matter to me....as I plan to jump brands just as soon as I can unless this service plan is adjusted. This proof that American exists only in name, so I best go back to avoiding airlines managed by the folks from America West.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:52 am
Original Poster

Not sure what you're referring to, other than the redeye. LAX-BOS redeyes now do only receive the snack basket, then an arrival continental box, but other than that, all flights receive proper meals. Even the 8:40pm BOS-LAX gets a full dinner. Eastbound redeyes may not receive a meal service, but the westbound flights you mentioned DO receive a meal.

Originally Posted by MediocreAtBest
The Management of AmericaWest who are now operating under the American Airlines name have reduced this to a "snack basket" for my flight times. That means I am offered chips, and other packaged snacks from a basket which it held out to me by the flight attendant. It is similar to the main cabin service on JetBlue or Virgin America.

There is no meal, there are no linens, there is no silverware, I am lucky to have my reduced size (fuel and space saving) coffee mug, and a stir stick.

Did I make myself clear? There is no meal. 5+ hours Westbound, and 4+ hours Eastbound with no meal in First Class on this "non Trans Continental" coast to coast flight.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:55 am

Programs: DL PM
Not sure what you're referring to, other than the redeye. LAX-BOS redeyes now do only receive the snack basket, then an arrival continental box, but other than that, all flights receive proper meals. Even the 8:40pm BOS-LAX gets a full dinner. Eastbound redeyes may not receive a meal service, but the westbound flights you mentioned DO receive a meal.
Not according to the rules. The error might be in how they are coded.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 6:57 am

Is everyone who was supportive of the merger happy about all this? The rest of us knew this was coming. Welcome to HPdbaUSdbaAA or, simply, "Air Dougie."
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TXguy
Not according to the rules. The error might be in how they are coded.
US does have exceptions to the 8pm rule for their westbound transcons (CLT/PHL-west coast and LAS). Transcons leaving after 8pm from CLT/PHL still receive a dinner service. I believe the true threshold for those exception flights is around 8:45-9pm.

So, based on that, it would make sense that BOS-LAX at 8:40pm gets dinner. Also, you're able to preorder for that specific flight. So, likely not an error, unless someone brave enough to take that flight can report the actual outcome.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MediocreAtBest
American which is really USAirways which is really America West has determined that flights from Boston to Los Angeles and return are no longer to be considered Trans Continental.

I fly this round trip on late evening or overnight flights almost every weekend.

Until now I have experienced a full meal westbound and a very reasonable snack on my way East.

Westbound - Appetizer, Salad, Main Course, Ice Cream Sundae, and later in the flight Warm Cookies baked on board).
Eastbound - A small hot meal , or salad with an optional chicken skewer, or fruit plate.

I am told that this is to bring service into alignment with USAirways, but I am not able to accept that explanation as neither USAirways nor AmericaWest ever operated non stop service from New England to California.

The flight crew and AA's website both indicate that true transcontinental service will only be available from New York and Miami.....Apparently this is because AA's management feels there is more competition in these markets. There must be some explanation unrelated to flight length and/or passenger comfort as the Boston flights are certainly longer than flights to New York.

Perhaps there is less competition from Boston, but there are 4 other airlines that operate non-stops to LAX alone 3 of the 4 offer a premium cabin, two offer in seat video throughout the aircraft.

I am hoping this is just an error made by some scheduling computer somewhere, but I fear this is the cost saving spirit of the New American. They will have to adjust their polices if they ever hope to become to attract premium customers and become anything other than the low price, low service ugly duckling carrier that America West and later USAirways had become.

Sadly I it won't matter to me....as I plan to jump brands just as soon as I can unless this service plan is adjusted. This proof that American exists only in name, so I best go back to avoiding airlines managed by the folks from America West.
This doesn't bode very well for my IAD-LAX RT next month (and the irony is I only purchased the ticket a week ago and in retrospect I should have waited). We were getting the same service you listed as previously receiving BOS-LAX. I am going to be especially pissed if they truly did get rid of the sundaes on that route.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:06 am

US does have exceptions to the 8pm rule for their westbound transcons (CLT/PHL-west coast and LAS). Transcons leaving after 8pm from CLT/PHL still receive a dinner service. I believe the true threshold for those exception flights is around 8:45-9pm.

So, based on that, it would make sense that BOS-LAX at 8:40pm gets dinner. Also, you're able to preorder for that specific flight. So, likely not an error, unless someone brave enough to take that flight can report the actual outcome.
AA stopped its full dinner at 8. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Dougie jumped on the chance to go for the lowest common demoninator across the board.

There are quite a few upset passengers tweeting to AA; certainly not just the woman mentioned upthread.

Last edited by TXguy; Sep 2, 2014 at 7:11 am
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TXguy
AA stopped its full dinner at 8. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Dougie jumped on the chance to go for the lowest common demoninator across the board.
Checking the AA website right now fields 'Dinner' coded for the 8:40pm BOS-LAX flight, as well as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight. Those are the only AA westbound transcons leaving after 8pm, other than JFK-LAX/SFO (which gets snack and brunch after 8pm). This is for 9/4.

I'm able to select between two choices for those flights (chicken piccata or artichoke ravioli) on the preordering page. Not saying you're wrong, just pointing out what's being shown on AA's website.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Ok, after reading this post Sept 1 thread I had to go and take a look a the AA website which is as follows and seems to contradict and definitely does not seem to be in line with poster's experiences from yesterday.

1,000 – 1,298 miles
(2:45 – 3:30 hours)

Enjoy warmed mixed nuts, followed by a three-course meal including a warm cookie for dessert.

1,299 + miles
(over 3:30 hours)

Enjoy an appetizer paired with your entrée followed by cake for dessert.
On flights over 2,200 miles and over 4:30 hours, you'll also receive a choice of dessert – specialty ice cream or a fruit and cheese plate.

A321 Transcontinental service
Your journey on our A321 Transcontinental service includes:
• Refreshing fruit or cucumber-infused water or sparkling wine
• Warm mixed nuts followed by a three-course meal, with a choice of our signature customized sundae or seasonal fruit and cheese
• A snack served shortly before arrival

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.