Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Resolved] AA & US Fares No Longer Available On Orbitz Websites

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Resolved] AA & US Fares No Longer Available On Orbitz Websites

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2014, 5:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As AA and US are still operating separately and there's a current thread dealing with this topic in the appropriate pre-merger forum, we will remind you this is part of a longtime debacle you can read more about here.

As others have reported to moderators, given this issue now affects both AA and US, we will move this discussion back to the Consolidated forum. Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

/Moderator

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 26, 2014 at 7:20 pm
Old Aug 26, 2014, 6:44 pm

Programs: United Silver and HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FWAAA
Loyalty to an online travel agent that trumps loyalty to the airline itself appears to be somewhat atypical.
Don't forget the Orbitz Bucks that you can earn and redeem!
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:11 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by mdsimants
My company requires all of our bookings to be done through OrbitzForBusiness. So, guess until the two parties kiss and make-up, I have to go to an alternate carrier. Who has the best status match program?
According to the press release on aa.com this decision does NOT apply to OrbitzForBusiness.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/urls/ota.jsp

Last edited by krlcomm; Aug 26, 2014 at 7:24 pm
Old Aug 26, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by gradboozer
Always loved using Orbitz as it priced out and allowed purchases of multi-city fares that were sometimes cheaper than RT.
But wasn't that because it was violating married segment rules?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
So, what alternative OTAs would people use instead of Orbitz?

I haven't found another one that displays the same availability and fare construction. Expedia just doesn't provide enough options.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jfkeze
just got that email, seems like it’s 2010, 2011 all over again… it’s annoying but I guess American wants to push the ancillary fees or Choice fares which they can upsell…
In that case why are they not going after TAs when the vast majority that I know have clientele that do not purchase these upsell products?
Old Aug 26, 2014, 9:58 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by rasheed
Of course, it should be noted that Orbitz for Business portal is unaffected.

Rasheed
Which is too bad since my company requires me to use OFB, which almost always prices out among the highest prices around......
Old Aug 26, 2014, 10:58 pm

Programs: NW Gold, '06. Good times.
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Wow. Must have just got in under the wire. Booked a ticket through Orbitz on Saturday.
Oh, the drama. Purchased an AA flight last week. I guess that'll be the last one through Orbitz for a while.

IME, Orbitz is a fun site to play on, but Kayak is, too. Not sure about the Orbitz rewards thing they recently started, though. I have a whopping two bucks ready to burn on... something.

If history is any indicator, AA and Orbitz will eventually kiss and make up. Meanwhile, I'll do what most of us do and keep comparison shopping.
Old Aug 26, 2014, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
Originally Posted by skit53
So, what alternative OTAs would people use instead of Orbitz? I haven't found another one that displays the same availability and fare construction. Expedia just doesn't provide enough options.
Very good question. For starters, I would like to shortlist those with the following features:

(1) Multicity search with 6+ segments. 8 would be even better.

(2) Ability to limit search to at least 2-3 specific airlines.

So, I can give a 6-segment itinerary and ask to only look at AA, BA and AY flights. This keeps the search from being overwhelmed with permutations involving carriers I have no interest in.

(3) Ability to select segment by segment. It is a simple idea, but I don't know why many others don't offer it.

(4) Ability to modify a search and run it again. You'd be surprised how many OTAs make you reenter the whole trip all over again if you want to change something.

I liked these features about Orbitz and would like to make a list of others offering the same. Then we can get on with determining which ones actually find the most interesting itineraries and lowest fares.

Does anybody have any OTAs to suggest with all/most of these features?

Last edited by aktchi; Aug 27, 2014 at 8:16 am
Old Aug 27, 2014, 1:52 am

Programs: BA LifetimeGold GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by aktchi
Very good question. For starters, I would like to shortlist those with the following features:

So, I can give a 6-segment itinerary and ask to only look at AA, BA and AY flights. This keeps the search from being overwhelmed with permutations involving carriers I have no interest in.

(3) Ability to select segment by segment. It is a simple idea, but I don't know why many others don't offer it.

I liked these features about Orbitz and would like to make a list of others offering the same. Then we can get on with determining which ones actually find the most interesting itineraries and lowest fares.
Indeed, these features are extremely useful and that's why I use Orbitz for my AA bookings. It is not complicated and it allows multi segment bookings with lots of options. The Orbitz booking features are far advanced in comparison with the ones on the very basic AA website. Why can AA not include these features in its booking process?
Old Aug 27, 2014, 2:56 am

Programs: AA Explat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by patvan
Indeed, these features are extremely useful and that's why I use Orbitz for my AA bookings. It is not complicated and it allows multi segment bookings with lots of options. The Orbitz booking features are far advanced in comparison with the ones on the very basic AA website. Why can AA not include these features in its booking process?
I believe Orbitz is powered by ITA on the backend, allowing it to do multi search well.

In theory, another method could be to use hipmunk to find your ideal itinerary and then click through to purchase. In practice hipmunk's advanced codes never work for me.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Karelia
guess no more flying on AA or US unless absolutely necessary...

I got the email from AA because I have always purchased AA ticket on Orbitz. Not by choice. The problem is that AA does not accept my foreign credit card. I live in the US but only have foreign credit cards. AA's website NEVER accepts the foreign credit card(VISA). That is why I had to go through Orbitz.

I suppose I can use another travel site to do the same, but I feel like AA doesn't want my business. They know perfectly well that I have purchased on average 3 or 4 AA tickets via Orbitz every month. If they don't want my business either way, so be it.
Tried Expedia,Priceline, etc, etc.?

The policy you cite is common. I have run into it. But typically it would be AA United States that would not accept credit cards with a foreign billing address, and you could purchase the tickets, online or by phone, through the AA center serving your home country (i.e., the country of your cards' billing address). When you log onto aa.com you have the option of choosing your country. People there can buy AA tickets? Your "foreign credit cards" or not even among the types AA accepts, or just have foreign billing addresses? I am a US citizen in Brazil, with 3 US bank credit cards: two with Brazil address, and one with a US address to avoid problems with airline tix when I want to be billed in US dollars. If you are living in the U.S. and fly alot there, it would seem to be prudent to have at least one card with a US billing address.

You will avoid using AA even their flights cost less and/or have a better schedule for you? Have you contacted AA? It's possible they don't realize what the loss of your business means. Seriously, look into your options.

Southwest also does not appear on Orbitz. Obviously they don't want your business either?

Last edited by SoCal; Aug 27, 2014 at 4:41 am
Old Aug 27, 2014, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I believe Orbitz is powered by ITA on the backend, allowing it to do multi search well.
It is. As are Kayak, Hipmunk, CheapTickets and a bunch of airlines. As you know, Google bought ITA Software a couple of years ago and now has Google Flights, as well. I don't see Google keeping both tools around forever.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 5:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by imapilotaz
because you choose to have a foreign credit card?
Getting a credit card isn't easy for every foreign resident.

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Loyalty to an online travel agent that trumps loyalty to the airline itself appears to be somewhat atypical.
I don't think it is atypical actually. My suspicion is that a great many people start their search at Orbitz (or Expedia) and not so many at aa.com

Exactly, Orbitz was great for this. They used ITA's engine behind the scenes I believe, which allowed it to match up w/ ITA Matrix searches better.

Are there other OTAs that use the ITA search engine?
Yes, quite a few: https://www.itasoftware.com/about/customers.html

Originally Posted by Alex_I
- The easiest solution to your problem is to use Paypal.com when purchasing tickets from aa.com. Paypal would allow you to choose the funding source like bank account, credit card, Paypal credit, etc.
Paypal ticketing can cause problems, when Paypal doesn't release funds quickly. Also, not sure what the legal protections are in the US, but they are pretty thin in Europe compared to a credit card.

Originally Posted by aktchi

This is what I do—
Build my precise itinerary on the ITA Matrix.

Then go to aa.com, and enter the route as close as possible to the multicity tool. Sometimes you have lots of cities so if you are doing a BRU-LHR//LCY-(SNN)-JFK-PHX-HNL return, you can omit cities that will be implied by the rest of your route (in this case, JFK and perhaps PHX).

Ensure my search option includes "all oneworld carriers" (not just AA) and pick "sort by schedule" (not price) and "50 per page" or whatever the maximum is.

Then I go through and pick the segments exactly as they appear on ITA.

Much of the time it is possible to price out what you need. At the end of the day, the fare is published by AA, the OTAs aren't doing anything magic except being efficient at searching for it.

This doesn't help everyone and takes a bit of getting used to, I admit. Actually to be honest I usually just telephone the BA ticketing desk and get them to do it, since they can issue tickets for AA/US. I think this isn't permitted for wholly internal US flights though.
Old Aug 27, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
But wasn't that because it was violating married segment rules?
I'm not sure this is the case as AA never had any issue with ticketing and allowing me to fly on the "cheaper" Orbitz reservations I made over the years. I'd venture to say that if there was a married segment violation in my ticket, AA would have found it and kicked it back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.