Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA meal order by flight direction & time zone change 09/2014 - no FEBO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 20, 2014, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Current meal order system based on flight cardinal direction & time zone change

New meal order / service order as of 1 Sep 2014; "FEBO" RIP

Effective 1 September 2014 a new system for taking meal preferences was put into place depending on flight cardinal direction combined with whether any time zones are crossed.

When an aircraft flight involves a change of time zones, take meal preferences:

. . . • Eastbound: from forward / front to aft /back
. . . • Westbound: from aft to forward

If the flight does not involve a change of any time zones, take meal preferences:

. . . • Southbound: from forward to aft
. . . • Northbound: from aft to forward

(c/o (sluggoaafa)
"FEBO" was discontinued 1 September 2014

FEBO ("Front Even Back Odd") is the acronym developed to explain the taking of meal preferences / orders (not serving meals) on AA flights. Orders for meals on even-numbered flights are taken from the front of the cabin, whilst on odd-numbered flights meal order taking began at the back of the cabin.
Print Wikipost

AA meal order by flight direction & time zone change 09/2014 - no FEBO

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Maybe the FA's got tired of pax selected row 5/6 reminding of them about FEBO when they started with row 3.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:39 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Right now California and Arizona are both 10:02 pm. But California is on PDT and Arizona is on MST.
Exactly!
Old Aug 21, 2014, 5:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Before they started messing with flight numbers, I never even checked what the flight number was. The general rule (for domestic flights) was simple, the passengers seated closest to Boston got first choice.

This basically returns to that. The time zones is an interesting twist - I guess you need some way to define "closer to Boston" on flights that go NW-SE or vice versa.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Stripe
Is this a joke? FAs will never remember this. It will be worse than DL, where for at least a while the official policy was FEBO but many FAs ignored it. But not enough ignored it that you could be sure.
What problem is AA trying to solve with a change like this? Don't they have better things to worry about?
Can't agree more. Indeed, what problem are they trying to solve? Worried that US FAs can't figure out an odd number from an even number?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is all silly. Definitionally, 50% of flights will be even-odd numbered. Whether those flights head East or South is meaningless. It just means that if you always select the last row of F, you will have your first choice 50% of the time.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Often1
This is all silly. Definitionally, 50% of flights will be even-odd numbered. Whether those flights head East or South is meaningless. It just means that if you always select the last row of F, you will have your first choice 50% of the time.
Unless you pre-select your entrée. Or is that feature disappearing as well?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:53 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Actually, there are some routes that use the same flight number for both legs. I have a reservation on AA4275 both legs, albeit there is no meal on the flight. But I know AA1633 is also the same in both directions, at least last Tuesday it was.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
What about N/S flights that change time zones (e.g. USA to Brazil)?
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:55 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Right now California and Arizona are both 10:02 pm. But California is on PDT and Arizona is on MST.
Except there will be no meal service on CA-AZ flights, so not much of an issue in that particular case.

However, I agree the new guidelines do not make much sense. This is something the FAs will need to relay back to their superiors as this change mostly concerns them.

Personally, I think they should just do front to back on all flights, even the FEBO concept is inefficient for F - I guarantee the ordering process takes a little longer starting in the back rather than the front assuming the galley is in the front - and something some customers will have to "compute" when picking seats. If everything was front to back, FAs can work a little more efficiently and all customers have to think about is book something as close to the front as possible.
Old Aug 21, 2014, 10:47 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
So you always want to be in the seat furthest to the west or furthest to the south (assuming you want first choice). Maybe we could call it the Southwest Method.

CORRECTION: I got it backward. You want the seat furthest to the east, not the west. Thanks rasheed!

Last edited by coolcoil; Aug 22, 2014 at 3:52 am
Old Aug 21, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Oh my, nothing can go wrong here...

Regards
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by coolcoil
So you always want to be in the seat furthest to the west or furthest to the south (assuming you want first choice). Maybe we could call it the Southwest Method.
I might be wrong here, but I was reading it as closest to the Southeast.

Originally Posted by swag
Before they started messing with flight numbers, I never even checked what the flight number was. The general rule (for domestic flights) was simple, the passengers seated closest to Boston got first choice.

This basically returns to that. The time zones is an interesting twist - I guess you need some way to define "closer to Boston" on flights that go NW-SE or vice versa.
So, now is it closest to Florida?

Rasheed
Old Aug 21, 2014, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by PresRDC
What about N/S flights that change time zones (e.g. USA to Brazil)?
I don't see anything ambiguous here. As stated, if the flight moves between time zones, it is technically considered (and really is, in part) eastbound or westbound, and the east-west rule applies. If there is no change in time zones, the north-south rule applies.

In the case of Brazil, the rule would be the same either way, since it is both southbound and eastbound (i.e. 'closest to Florida').

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Aug 21, 2014 at 4:56 pm
Old Aug 21, 2014, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rasheed
I might be wrong here, but I was reading it as closest to the Southeast.

So, now is it closest to Florida?

Rasheed
Funny thing, after I moved to Los Angeles a few decades ago, I devised a saying so that I could remember which side of the street is even numbered houses and which side is odd: "The West is Odd, the South wants to get Even."

I just realized that that means the house numbers that are Even in Los Angeles are also those that are closest to the Southeast!

So I now I just have to remember one thing for both house numbers in L A and AA front cabin meal service order! @:-)
Old Aug 21, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA
Originally Posted by United747
Actually, there are some routes that use the same flight number for both legs. I have a reservation on AA4275 both legs, albeit there is no meal on the flight. But I know AA1633 is also the same in both directions, at least last Tuesday it was.
While some routes have odd numbers in both directions, other routes have even numbers in both directions. In the aggregate, presumably there are at least roughly 50:50 even and odd flight numbers, considering all flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.