Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club changes, closure, consolidation, etc. (Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Admirals and US Club changes, closures, consolidations etc. (Master Thread)

Please edit/add to this Wikipost with any done, confirmed, announced or pending Admirals Club changes
(not wishful, speculative or possible changes).

Lounge links

Link
to Admirals Clubs and affiliated lounges locations and amenities guide on aa.com.

Link to oneworld lounge locations and access tool on oneworld.com.

Link to FlyerTalk AA Lounge Dashboard

Note: American Airlines and US Airways terminal changes can be found here.

LOCATIONS, CLOSURES, CONSOLIDATIONS Etc.

All US Airways Clubs have been rebranded as Admirals Clubs.

Admirals Clubs are following US Airways Club tradition of serving soup.

AA- US "exchange" programs have been implemented at some Clubs so both AA and US Club users can be assisted by redeployed "AAngels" with computers (e.g. DFW Clubs now have US assistance counters and personnel).

ATL: Concourse T Admirals Club only staffed by AA personnel, no computer system installed to allow assisting US pax. (11/22/2014)

BUF: 2015, changed to November, BUF / Buffalo a Club to close.

DCA: US Airways Club in t-B rebadged as Admirals Club. Member dtremit says "To be clear, the small US club in the "B/C" pier (formerly a UA club) was closed and consolidated into the adjacent AC. The large US club on the "C" pier is still open."

DFW: Admirals Clubs now have "out stationed" US personnel for assistance.

GRU: Admirals Club closed for renovations beginning December 1, 2014 as construction of a new club in Terminal 3 begins. New AC is expected to open in 2015. AC Members may use the GRU Executive Club in T3 until the new AC opens.

LAX: US Airways Club closed. AS lounge in T6 (near US gates) now available for AC members, transcon premium cabin ticket holders on AA or US, and under oneworld access rules when flying US or AA.

PHL US Airways B/C Club rebadged, has AA Personnel available, at least weekday mornings until 10am (not sure about after this time frame). In A-East, Admirals Club opened, has US Personnel available.

RDU: US Airways Club closed.

SJU: The Admirals Club® lounge at San Juan Luis Muñoz Marin International (SJU) permanently closed 30 Dec 2015.
Print Wikipost

Admirals Club changes, closure, consolidation, etc. (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by ty97
Sad to see a club go.

Originally Posted by 110pgl
Combining of the airlines should have provided even more traffic to the club.
pmAA's BUF presence was negligible (Eagle to ORD only) so unfortunately didn't add too much to what US had there before.
Yes, very sad. Especially when one considers that there used to be clubs at ROC and SYR too, and AA used to offer mainline service to all three cities (including widebody flights in and out of BUF and SYR!

Last edited by guv1976; Jul 23, 2015 at 4:12 pm
Old Jul 23, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/US CP, United 1K (1MM) , Marriott Plat, Avis Plus
TPA is safe

Originally Posted by Alphaguy
Saw this in the Buffalo News Today:

So sad.. i really liked going there on my way out of Buffalo after seeing my parents... I guess this isn't the upgrade I was looking for... also makes me reconsider a club membership if they are going to close clubs.. is Tampa next?
----------------
TPA would be a stretch. AA/US pretty much own Concourse F (95% mainline), with BA LGW flight, the lounge is active most times of the day. They are upgrading/consolidating the ticketing area on the blue side as well. They will have the same space, but pmUS side will be Self-Service, other side (AA) will be FC/Int'l and ticketing. Tampa operations are definitely growing.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:39 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Personally, I think all are safe bets except for GSO and CCS. BDL, SJU, and BNA might have a slight chance of shuttering, but highly doubtful IMO.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:33 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A similar article at Bizjournals.com (http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/n...-to-close.html) says something worrisome:

Located along the airport’s west concourse, the USAirways Club was open to VIPs and preferred customers of the airline. American Airlines is closing several of USAirways Clubs around the country.
Add me to the list of people who think BDL and GSO are probably on the chopping block too along with maybe PIT. I'll also miss the BUF Club, it was a nice little club with great staff.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 1:59 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Extremely frustrating that an airline posting profits this large would be closing clubs. If anything, you would think we'd see more clubs open in former cities, such as an additional club in CLT, and also CLE, ROC, SYR, IND, MCO, BWI, etc.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:01 am

Programs: AA EXP
Definitely a shame...I fly in/out of BUF a lot. At least on the PMUS side, BUF sees more traffic than YYZ, given the significantly cheaper fares especially for Canadians.

While the club isn't very large or much to write home about aesthetically, it certainly is a great place to grab some quiet time/get some work done etc. which will be missed. And yes, the staff there are always excellent. Same goes for GSO- love flying out of there and the club is a great bonus, with excellent staff.

Sure hope they reconsider these decisions...thinking it could have to do with the refreshing of the clubs system-wide- the investment in these second-tier cities may not be worth it and decision-makers would rather funnel the money into improving the larger ones. Whatever the reason, it's sad.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:53 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Just curious - were LCC clubs strict about bringing outside food in the way DL and UA clubs still are? That's one of my fave things about the ACs, is that no one has ever said a word to us for carting in bags from Tortas Frontera at ORD. Yes, I want to have my torta and eat it too (along with some free beer in the AC!). So I hope the non-enforcement of this doesn't change.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 7:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Just curious - were LCC clubs strict about bringing outside food in the way DL and UA clubs still are? That's one of my fave things about the ACs, is that no one has ever said a word to us for carting in bags from Tortas Frontera at ORD. Yes, I want to have my torta and eat it too (along with some free beer in the AC!). So I hope the non-enforcement of this doesn't change.
A shopping bag (DFS, etc.) is a discrete way of guesting your torta.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Alphaguy
Saw this in the Buffalo News Today:

So sad.. i really liked going there on my way out of Buffalo after seeing my parents... I guess this isn't the upgrade I was looking for... also makes me reconsider a club membership if they are going to close clubs.. is Tampa next?
----------------
Add the USAirways Club to the list of departures from Buffalo Niagara International Airport.

The lounge for VIPs and frequent fliers, long a mainstay of the airport’s west concourse, will close in late August or early September, according to Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority officials.

http://www.buffalonews.com/city-regi...ounge-20150723

That sux. Was in there for the first time last month. Club staff was great.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by GotCalcio4
Extremely frustrating that an airline posting profits this large would be closing clubs. If anything, you would think we'd see more clubs open in former cities, such as an additional club in CLT, and also CLE, ROC, SYR, IND, MCO, BWI, etc.
Add to that MSP, DTW, FLL, IAH, SEA and PBI.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
A shopping bag (DFS, etc.) is a discrete way of guesting your torta.
Haha - We usually aren't discreet at all and the drAAgons have never given us grief, bless their hearts!
Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:12 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Haha - We usually aren't discreet at all and the drAAgons have never given us grief, bless their hearts!
Yeah, but you could get assaulted by a jealous passenger! Kinda like when I board at SEA with some nice, fresh sushi...
Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:18 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
DTW really begs for a club. There are too few dining/drinking options for all the flights that terminal has.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.2mm, Kimpton IC, Starwood Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
Add to that MSP, DTW, FLL, IAH, SEA and PBI.
SEA at least has AC member access to the Alaska Board Room, which is superior to most ACs.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Flyer78
+1 to the MCO request, will be spending a lot of time hopefully finding a spot at the terminal restaurant (Ruby Tuesday?)

As an aside, and certainly off-topic to this thread, but the lift going to MCO this time of year is amazing, on A330 from PHL and 767 between MCO and MIA...
Lack of an MCO club led to me sticking in with DL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.