Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Admirals Club changes, closure, consolidation, etc. (Master Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 18, 2014, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Admirals and US Club changes, closures, consolidations etc. (Master Thread)

Please edit/add to this Wikipost with any done, confirmed, announced or pending Admirals Club changes
(not wishful, speculative or possible changes).

Lounge links

Link
to Admirals Clubs and affiliated lounges locations and amenities guide on aa.com.

Link to oneworld lounge locations and access tool on oneworld.com.

Link to FlyerTalk AA Lounge Dashboard

Note: American Airlines and US Airways terminal changes can be found here.

LOCATIONS, CLOSURES, CONSOLIDATIONS Etc.

All US Airways Clubs have been rebranded as Admirals Clubs.

Admirals Clubs are following US Airways Club tradition of serving soup.

AA- US "exchange" programs have been implemented at some Clubs so both AA and US Club users can be assisted by redeployed "AAngels" with computers (e.g. DFW Clubs now have US assistance counters and personnel).

ATL: Concourse T Admirals Club only staffed by AA personnel, no computer system installed to allow assisting US pax. (11/22/2014)

BUF: 2015, changed to November, BUF / Buffalo a Club to close.

DCA: US Airways Club in t-B rebadged as Admirals Club. Member dtremit says "To be clear, the small US club in the "B/C" pier (formerly a UA club) was closed and consolidated into the adjacent AC. The large US club on the "C" pier is still open."

DFW: Admirals Clubs now have "out stationed" US personnel for assistance.

GRU: Admirals Club closed for renovations beginning December 1, 2014 as construction of a new club in Terminal 3 begins. New AC is expected to open in 2015. AC Members may use the GRU Executive Club in T3 until the new AC opens.

LAX: US Airways Club closed. AS lounge in T6 (near US gates) now available for AC members, transcon premium cabin ticket holders on AA or US, and under oneworld access rules when flying US or AA.

PHL US Airways B/C Club rebadged, has AA Personnel available, at least weekday mornings until 10am (not sure about after this time frame). In A-East, Admirals Club opened, has US Personnel available.

RDU: US Airways Club closed.

SJU: The Admirals Club® lounge at San Juan Luis Muñoz Marin International (SJU) permanently closed 30 Dec 2015.
Print Wikipost

Admirals Club changes, closure, consolidation, etc. (Master Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:05 pm

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
THe US club has soup, cheese, and packaged snacks, something the admirals clubs lack.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Now that I've been to both, here are my thoughts.

AC Pros:
Better PM snacks
Nicer, more modern decor
Ability to buy food
Seemed to have more alcohol available
Restrooms aren't out in BFE
Power cords
Good view of tarmac

AC Cons:
Smaller than US club
No US flight info
Not having club card can make it harder to get in (harder to pull up DM info)
A bit noisy

US Club pros:
Larger
Quieter
Better AM snacks
Larger bar area

US Club cons:
Restrooms are out in BFE. Seriously, could they be any farther away?
Fewer power ports
No soup (but didn't really expect it either)
Crappy snacks in the PM
Bar looked bare

Overall, I'd say I liked the AC better. I'd probably hit the US club in the morning though due to a better breakfast.

I didn't find the shuttle between the two to be pain. We just missed one shuttle and waited no more than 5 minutes for the next one. Shuttles are convenient to both clubs.

I'd like to see a club come back to BWI when they merge operations there. Not having a club there sucks.

Just a little OT: At ONT, I asked if there was a club available. I knew there wasn't a US club, but hoped there might be an AC. TA just smiled and said, "Well, we have a nice club sandwich available at Carl's Jr." We got a nice little laugh out of that.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 9:26 pm

Screens

Originally Posted by Superguy
AC Cons:
Smaller than US club
No US flight info
The AC has two screens inside, now they show both US and AA flights
Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by Superguy
US Club cons:
Restrooms are out in BFE. Seriously, could they be any farther away?
Fun fact, if you walk past the restrooms and around the corner to the right, there are a few very quiet, very private work carrels. Just past those is a back door to the "executive services lounge" which hosts government officials before they fly US. Rumor has it that when US tried to close the lounge during the second bankruptcy in 2004, Ted Kennedy (among other important, frequent users) insisted on it being kept open...

Back on topic, never having been to the AC at DCA, does it share a wall or anything with the old United Club? Is there any way the spaces could be combined?
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Nexus
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
Back on topic, never having been to the AC at DCA, does it share a wall or anything with the old United Club? Is there any way the spaces could be combined?
The two are on opposite sides of a common space which sits directly above the exit of the security checkpoint (with elevators on both sides of this area). With some reconfiguration, they could create a central welcome area in between the elevators and have lounge space to both sides...maybe one side with the bar and more seating for groups and louder conversation, and the other side with quieter seating and additional work areas, something like that.

I could see it being done if the utilization of the club warrants it, but it would be a pretty involved renovation to make it happen. Having spent some time in the AC since they closed the US club there, it's tended to be pretty crowded and loud IMO. Some extra space would be welcome.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 4:21 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
Fun fact, if you walk past the restrooms and around the corner to the right, there are a few very quiet, very private work carrels. Just past those is a back door to the "executive services lounge" which hosts government officials before they fly US. Rumor has it that when US tried to close the lounge during the second bankruptcy in 2004, Ted Kennedy (among other important, frequent users) insisted on it being kept open...

The rental cost is too high to expand the AC. Costs could run another $1M per year.

On the US restrooms - go to the left of the bar and walk along the windows to the terminal. No need to go out (BFE - I assume you mean Before Entry?).

My view - the US Restrooms are bigger and nicer than the small restrooms in the AC. The US one even has a private changing room if needed.

Also - I find the US club more private - more rooms. The AC is like a fish bowl looking into the terminal.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:13 am

Programs: WFBF
I've now been in both (as of a couple weeks ago) the center-pier AC and the far-pier US Club (took a while since usually my DCA-MCI departs from the other pier and I'm too lazy to bus over for the AC). Didn't notice much of a difference, really; DCA isn't a place where you can do a ton of fancy lounge stuff. Seats, bar, monitors, restrooms, wifi, and that's about it. I guess maybe the seats and the booze are slightly more "premium", but I just didn't feel like I was in something noticeably special compared to the US lounge.

(though at least I got to visit it once and see for myself before my travel pattern changes and I start flying to BDL all the time instead of DCA)
Old Aug 18, 2014, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by cova
The rental cost is too high to expand the AC. Costs could run another $1M per year.

On the US restrooms - go to the left of the bar and walk along the windows to the terminal. No need to go out (BFE - I assume you mean Before Entry?).

My view - the US Restrooms are bigger and nicer than the small restrooms in the AC. The US one even has a private changing room if needed.

Also - I find the US club more private - more rooms. The AC is like a fish bowl looking into the terminal.
BFE was referring to <redacted>, which pretty much means out in the middle of nowhere. The restrooms were quite a walk compared to other locations, with nothing really around them compared to the rest of the lounge.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 23, 2014 at 12:16 pm
Old Aug 19, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
I've noticed they've begun to recover some of the chairs in the C club. The new covering is either very cheap leather or pleather.

I'm actually a little disappointed that it looks like we're not getting new furniture like the PHL clubs, LGA, CLT, PHX, etc., but just new furniture covers.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:41 am

Terminal 3 - Shower - Then Terminal 1

We are flying into LHR - Please advise as to best way to proceed. We are arriving at 9:00 a.m. A/A Terminal 3 - we would like to take a shower and proceed to Terminal 1 where we are meeting another couple at 12:00 to catch private car for Cruise in Southampton. We are Platinum A/A if that helps and will be flying Business class.

Thank you for your help!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RetiredPastorDonna
We are flying into LHR - Please advise as to best way to proceed. We are arriving at 9:00 a.m. A/A Terminal 3 - we would like to take a shower and proceed to Terminal 1 where we are meeting another couple at 12:00 to catch private car for Cruise in Southampton. We are Platinum A/A if that helps and will be flying Business class.

Thank you for your help!
Welcome to Flyertalk.

If you're flying business class, then you'll be welcome to use the AA Arrivals Lounge in T-3. Here are details:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInforma...arrivalslounge
Old Aug 20, 2014, 10:16 am

Thanks for the welcome. Actually I had registered about 12 years ago and lost my information. Been "Lurking" since then and never needed to post! Love FlyerTalk!

Thank you for your help. Do you think we will have time to clear Customs, find Admiral's Club, shower, and make it to terminal 1 by 12:00.

Last edited by RetiredPastorDonna; Aug 20, 2014 at 10:26 am
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Thanks for the welcome. Actually I had registered about 12 years ago and lost my information. Been "Lurking" since then and never needed to post! Love FlyerTalk!

Thank you for your help. Do you think we will have time to clear Customs, find Admiral's Club, shower, and make it to terminal 1 by 12:00.
Plenty of time

Having gone through T3 passport control weekly for about 4 months, the most this should take you is 45 minutes. If the priority passport control line is backed up (out to where they collect the priority cards), you'll be better off in the regular line (which they are obliged to clear in 45 minutes).

Once you exit baggage claim, follow the sign for "Airline Lounges (AA)" - it should be to the right after exiting baggage claim. Take the lift to the 2nd floor.

To get from T3 to T1 is a 10-15 minute walk depending on how much baggage you have / how quickly you're moving. Easiest way is to walk through the Heathrow Express station (sub-basement of T3) and follow the signs for T1.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 11:53 am

Thanks again ... you have eased my worries!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 9:30 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

You can't access the LHR Admirals Club if you're not departing. You want the American Airlines Arrivals Lounge, landslide and up one floor on the lift opposite the wall with information and currency exchange booths, iirc.

Breakfast, computers, showers and free pressing, and free to Business and First arriving AA and BA pax or Emeralds (iirc about USD $90 for others).

See this page for LHR intraterminal transit.

We will soon move this mini discussion to the proper forum (AAPre-Merger) and existing Help Desk thread about lounge access rules and questions.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 20, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.