Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What happens with Phoenix' U.S. Airways Center name once the merger is complete?

What happens with Phoenix' U.S. Airways Center name once the merger is complete?

Old Aug 18, 14, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

I'm not sure if this discussion has been discussed already but forgive me if it has. I'm curious to know the future of the U.S. Airways Center in Phoenix once the U.S. Airways name ceases to exist. I doubt that they will keep the U.S. Airways name. Maybe rename it after some large corporation based in Phoenix or the entire state of Arizona?

Any ideas or announcements made regarding this? I'm curious to know.

Cheers
Old Aug 18, 14, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Following mergers and name changes, most arena or stadium naming rights deals provide for a change in the name on the venue to the new name. Once US Airways surrenders its operating certificate and American Airlines is the name on all the flying, I expect the name "American Airlines" to replace the name "US Airways" on that building.

Other examples include the Bank One Ballpark (now Chase Field) in Phoenix and Pac Bell Park (changed to SBC Park and then changed again to AT&T Park) in San Francisco.

The name would change to something unrelated to AA only if the merger provided an out for either party (and one or both wanted out of the deal), and that's extremely unlikely. Near certainty that it will be named for AA.
Old Aug 18, 14, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I'll go way out on a limb and make the crazy prediction that it will become American Airlines Center/Arena. (It was originally America West Arena).

Actually, since there's already an Arena and a Center, I'm going with American Airlines Palace.
Old Aug 18, 14, 5:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FWAAA View Post
Following mergers and name changes, most arena or stadium naming rights deals provide for a change in the name on the venue to the new name. Once US Airways surrenders its operating certificate and American Airlines is the name on all the flying, I expect the name "American Airlines" to replace the name "US Airways" on that building.

Other examples include the Bank One Ballpark (now Chase Field) in Phoenix and Pac Bell Park (changed to SBC Park and then changed again to AT&T Park) in San Francisco.

The name would change to something unrelated to AA only if the merger provided an out for either party (and one or both wanted out of the deal), and that's extremely unlikely. Near certainty that it will be named for AA.
Don't we have the American Airlines Center and American Airlines Arena in Dallas and Miami respectively?! We need a 3rd arena to bear American Airlines on it?!
Old Aug 18, 14, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.5MM, Bonvoy LIFETIME Titanium Elite, HH Diamd, Priority Clb PLT, Ntnl Exec, Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by maortega15 View Post
Don't we have the American Airlines Center and American Airlines Arena in Dallas and Miami respectively?! We need a 3rd arena to bear American Airlines on it?!
Perhaps, AAdvantage arena?
Old Aug 18, 14, 6:52 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, TAP, Mexico, Technical Support and Feedback, and The Suggestion Box

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by maortega15 View Post
He who pays the piper calls the tune. and perhaps they'll want to do this, as HP was the hometown airline until it swallowed US and transmogrified into it, and now they might want to convince Phoenicians AA is their hometown airline. AA has been a longtime presence in Phoenix - I remember it as one of the places we landed en route from SAT to LAX in the 1940s (DC-3s).

Otoh, who'd not like a home team "AAdvantage"?
Old Aug 18, 14, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Naming things now after an airline mileage program?!

I'd sound more catchier if you name the sky box instead. Delta Sky Club does sound catchy to name a sky box. Not sure if AAdvantage would work.
Old Aug 18, 14, 10:23 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Gobalist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Envoy Center
Old Aug 19, 14, 8:09 am
COU

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, MR Gold, HH Gold
Make it the FlyerTalk Center.......just think of the fun naming the sky boxes after some of the forums......

Whine about not getting my upgrade box

Last edited by COU; Aug 19, 14 at 8:30 am
Old Aug 19, 14, 9:35 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I don't know the terms of this arrangement. I do remember that when the new Boston Garden was being built, a bank acquired naming rights along with an option to change the name once. In rapid succession, that bank was acquired by a competitor which was in turn absorbed by a third bank. I've forgotten the details, but I know that the second name change required negotiations and payment of a considerable sum.
Old Aug 19, 14, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JPG3392 View Post
I don't know the terms of this arrangement. I do remember that when the new Boston Garden was being built, a bank acquired naming rights along with an option to change the name once. In rapid succession, that bank was acquired by a competitor which was in turn absorbed by a third bank. I've forgotten the details, but I know that the second name change required negotiations and payment of a considerable sum.
It all depends on the terms of the arrangement, something similar happened in Philly. The current Wachovia Center, was originally named the CoreStates Center, then two years later they were bought by First Union and it became the First Union Center, then a couple years later, Wachovia bought First Union and it became the Wachovia Center, and then in 2010 Wells Fargo bought Wachovia and it became the Wachovia Center.

I think I remember reading something that they could call it whatever they wanted, but to change the name the new bank was responsible for picking up the tab to rebrand everything.

Last edited by wr_schwab; Aug 19, 14 at 10:22 am
Old Aug 19, 14, 10:01 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium / LTG, HHonors Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by JPG3392 View Post
The first name change actually happened before the stadium opened -- the original rights were bought by Shawmut Bank, which merged with Fleet Bank while the arena was being built.

I believe the original contract only allowed one name change -- so when Fleet merged with Bank of America, they would have had to pay to change the name again. (It's a fairly considerable undertaking; going from Shawmut to Fleet apparently involved replacing all the seat backs.) They opted to buy out the contract instead, and TD Bank signed a new contract in 2005.
Old Aug 19, 14, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Bonvoy Gold, SkyMiles Dirt
As it looks like there are still a few years left (till 2022) and its less than $1M per year. So I'm guessing it will become American Airlines Coliseum...
Old Aug 19, 14, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS MVPG
The stadium will have to be demolished
Old Aug 19, 14, 3:29 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Talking

The arena will be demolished to make way for a new American Airlines Admirals Park offering an oasis for Admirals Club members and certain OneWorld customers. Some of the amenities will include luxurious cherry oak wood park benches, plenty of drinking water fountains, complimentary outdoor wifi courtesy of google and a full service eatery in the middle of the park offering mouth watering food for purchase options and liquor options similar to the ones found in airport admirals clubs. Part of the renovation efforts, one 250 foot statue of Doug Parker and another 249.9 foot statue of Scott Kirby will be constructed on the park to demonstrate their commitment to Phoenix.

For customers with same day boarding pass for a flight out of PHX can take advantage of the complimentary helicopter shuttle service that will whisk you from Admirals Park to PHX.

The Phoenix Suns basketball team will relocate to the Wells Fargo Arena.

All joking aside, I have too much time on my hands waiting for something. The arena will be rebranded to AA just like what they did for the Dallas Mavericks arena when they launched their new brand.

ETA: I see CDKing beat me to it

Last edited by golfingboy; Aug 19, 14 at 9:53 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: