Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What happens with Phoenix' U.S. Airways Center name once the merger is complete?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens with Phoenix' U.S. Airways Center name once the merger is complete?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:10 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Whether its a mistake or not, it does impact AA brand identity in PHX that can be seen as a negative, i.e. abandonment. However, the naming rights are expensive, and with some of the other cost cutting/streamlining we've seen, this is another one. Albeit a really big one.
Old Sep 5, 2014, 11:25 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by george 3
Whether its a mistake or not, it does impact AA brand identity in PHX that can be seen as a negative, i.e. abandonment. However, the naming rights are expensive, and with some of the other cost cutting/streamlining we've seen, this is another one. Albeit a really big one.
For years, America West, and then US Airways, touted itself as the, "hometown airline."
That phrase has gradually been used less, and this announcement re-iterates that it no longer applies.

Given WN's deals with the Phoenix Suns, my guess would be they would be high on the list to pick up naming rights.
Or perhaps it will be some other local-based business (PF Changs, Go Daddy, or Coldstone Creamery come to mind), or even a larger company with a strong regional presence but not based here (like Chase with the ballpark, although that is a holdover from BOB).
Old Sep 5, 2014, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by aztimm
Given WN's deals with the Phoenix Suns, my guess would be they would be high on the list to pick up naming rights.
+1
My thoughts exactly.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:59 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
I heard that SpiritAir will buy the naming rights, just to spite Dougie, and then start a new fortress hub at PHX after AA de-hubs PHX.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 5:56 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
American has advised it will not renew the 10 year lease. Not the best use of financial dollars to have your name on 3 arenas.
Old Sep 7, 2014, 6:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
American has advised it will not renew the 10 year lease. Not the best use of financial dollars to have your name on 3 arenas.
Exactly, and there's already DFW/MIA with arenas. It would've been kind of nice to keep PHX too, but, oh well. I'm not in PHX, and I'm not into sports, so this doesn't really affect me, but I can understand the disappointment, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.