Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STL to SXM in Paid Premium - US vs. AA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2014, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.

Which airline should I choose? The price difference is negligible. The return on US has only 90 minutes between flights in CLT. Is that long enough to clear customs (I have GE.)
Old Aug 15, 2014, 10:42 pm

Programs: US Chairman no more. AA EXP
I'd choose the flight most closely matching hotel check in and check out hours. Also a flight with better fallback options. Those things even CLT is a better experience than MIA.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage

When I flew DFW-SXM via MIA and wanted the first flight to SXM, I had a choice of departing DFW at 5am or staying overnight at MIA. I chose the latter.

When deciding between CLT and MIA, determine which connection will allow you to depart SLT at a convenient time.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 10:15 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
Originally Posted by iplaybass
Which airline should I choose? The price difference is negligible. The return on US has only 90 minutes between flights in CLT. Is that long enough to clear customs (I have GE.)
I think us flies the international 757 to sxm sometimes which if flying first is the way to go.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 11:39 pm

Programs: WFBF
90 minutes is enough to clear customs. The real question is whether you'll have any checked bags (add time to claim and re-check), and whether you have Pre for re-clearing security.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; NEXUS
90 minutes at CLT is plenty of time (obviously, as long as your flight into CLT lands on time).

Our layovers there are often 1 hr 15 minutes or so, or less (flying back from MBJ, CUN, SXM, etc...), and we have always made our connection back to ROC (when our plane is on time). We have had some close calls in the past (& a few missed connections due to late flights), but now that we have NEXUS we have plenty of time.

With NEXUS/Global Entry you'll have no line for Immigration as long as a kiosk is open.

Then you'll have to wait a bit longer for your luggage (since you didn't wait in Immigration lines).

Then, you'll hand in your picture receipt to Customs -- if there is a line at Customs, you can go right to the front of the line there bec/ of your NEX/GE.

Then, you'll re-check your luggage (just a quick drop at a counter right past Customs).

Then you'll go upstairs & go through security. At CLT there is usually a separate security line for TSA Precheck (which you get automatically w/ NEX/GE --- just make sure your GE # is on your reservation before you check in originally, so you see TSA PreCheck on your boarding passes) (if not, then call US Air & they will add it to your reservation & you can re-print boarding passes).

Then, you should still have time to grab something to eat if you want & take a bathroom break & then get to your gate w/ time to spare.

We love, love, love CLT --- so easy to navigate (as all its terminals are connected -- no shuttles to take) !!

Jackie
p.s. sorry if stated a bunch of stuff that is already obvious to you !! :-)
Old Aug 17, 2014, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
Thank you all for your advice. Flights aren't ideal from STL to SXM. Either Friday night stayover in MIA (can fly out after work) or 0545 from STL to CLT on Saturday morning. One thing that does make me nervous about going via US is that they are showing F5 on EF from SXM to CLT, but at the same time, the seat map shows 1 seat not occupied. I have nightmares about US taking my "business" fare, and then seating me and my companion in separate middle seats in coach because seats aren't available up front.
Old Aug 17, 2014, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Thank you all for your advice. Flights aren't ideal from STL to SXM. Either Friday night stayover in MIA (can fly out after work) or 0545 from STL to CLT on Saturday morning. One thing that does make me nervous about going via US is that they are showing F5 on EF from SXM to CLT, but at the same time, the seat map shows 1 seat not occupied. I have nightmares about US taking my "business" fare, and then seating me and my companion in separate middle seats in coach because seats aren't available up front.
They block you from selecting Row 1 seats until check-in, but you'll still hold a confirmed seat in FC. Barring a downgauge, you'll be fine (well, unless you hate row 1...)
Old Aug 17, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
They block you from selecting Row 1 seats until check-in, but you'll still hold a confirmed seat in FC. Barring a downgauge, you'll be fine (well, unless you hate row 1...)
When all other F seats are taken, you should be able to get them to assign row 1 seats by phone if that helps, though US does not oversell F. Similarly, when US elites are upgraded and only row 1 seats remain, the computer will generally assign row 1 seats automatically. Most of the time
Old Aug 19, 2014, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by morrisunc
I think us flies the international 757 to sxm sometimes which if flying first is the way to go.
Not at the moment. AA is operating a 738 MIA-SXM at the present time.

I have had the opportunity to fly the 75L in F MIA-BGI which was rather nice...and BTW, I note that US is currently operating the 762 with the Envoy seats up front CLT-STT on the weekends which is probably nice as well......
Old Aug 21, 2014, 9:02 am
Original Poster

On AA, the trip will be on 738s on all legs. US has the 75L with the Envoy seats from CLT-SXM judging by the 4-4-2 configuration showing on EF, and the A319 STL-CLT. (no E175 on these connectors.) Good to hear that US does not oversell FC. 0545 depart is still a hard pill to swallow, getting a taxi at 4 am here isn't necesarily reliable, but airport parking for a week is twice as expensive.

Thanks again for all your input! It sounds like it's a push, especially since the "new" AA service is going to be less distinguishable from US. The Envoy seats may tip the scales in favor of US.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.