Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

All standby passengers MUST check their larger carry on luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

All standby passengers MUST check their larger carry on luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
I've noticed this a few times in the past few months.

The logic (albeit faulty) appears to be that they are 'protecting' group 4 people already on the flight from having to gate check bags that won't fit because they filled up the plane with elites on stand-by who board ahead of them but weren't originally ticketed on the flight.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 10:59 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by Mark_T
appears to be that they are 'protecting' group 4 people already on the flight from having to gate check bags that won't fit because they filled up the plane with elites on stand-by who board ahead of them but weren't originally ticketed on the flight.
BOO! We are elite for a reason AA!!!!
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Wow. I'd taken the bp then said I'm boarding with my group, with my bag. If she had a problem with it she could summon a supervisor.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP/CK 2M+
So take your boarding pass after being put up from standby, let them tag your bag, then rip the tag off in the jetway and take it on board instead of leaving it at the boarding door. Problem solved.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by LAXative
Wow. I'd taken the bp then said I'm boarding with my group, with my bag. If she had a problem with it she could summon a supervisor.
Or offload you from the flight until you found a supervisor to overrule her, which would probably be a lot less fun for you.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:25 am

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
GA: If you are standingby, you have to check your "rollerboard."

Was the GA taking the bags? If not, how was she enforcing this.

I've gotten some grief for GA's who want me to check my rollerboard on RJs. Problem is that it not full-sized, fits in the overhead on RJs and was bought specifically for when I fly RJs (it's an
eBags EXO 2.0 Hardside Spinner Int'l Carry-on Mobile Office 18x14x9).

Bottom line, I take a tag and tell them I will check it if it doesn't fit. It always does.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: AA LT Gold
Originally Posted by JMN57
Was the GA taking the bags?
GA called names and then traded BP for carry-on, which was tagged (computer, not handwritten) and then sent to the cargo.
This was BEFORE boarding had started. Nobody was in the plane yet, other than FAs.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by carlosdca
I was in IAH last night and I was standing by for an earlier flight to DFW.
I was told there were 17 seats available by the TA.

Right before departure and BEFORE boarding had even started, the GA announces..."We are going to start to work on the stand by list and call names from the list, we have a very full flight, so if you are on the standby list and I call your name you will have to check your rollerboard to final destination, if you don't want to check your rollerboard we will give your seat to the next person."

I found this very annoying and odd. The GA did not even know if the overhead cabins were going to be full. As PLT, I would have boarded among the first ones and overhead cabin space would have been available when I boarded.

I did not make a fuss and checked my carry-on.

Is this a new procedure? Seems like a punishment for standing-by.
It is surprising how easily those gate check tags fall off on the way down the jet bridge.

Dirty trick on the GA's part stealing the bag from you at the podium.

I guess we need to NOT bring the "rollerboard" up to the podium when picking up the standby ticket. Thanks for the warning.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 11:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It sounds like the GA was keeping the bags at the podium in exchange for a boarding pass rather than having people leave them at the end of the jetway as is customary for gate checked bags.

GAs shouldn't let their egalitarian beliefs influence how they do their jobs. If they don't like the fact that elites and those on expensive tickets get published perks according to their employer's policy, they should work for a LCC.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
I would suggest an email to customer relations explaining what happened and asking for clarification that this is a new policy. Since it almost certainly isn't, you should get an apology and you've at least made AA aware of what at least one of their GAs is doing.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by carlosdca
GA called names and then traded BP for carry-on, which was tagged (computer, not handwritten) and then sent to the cargo.
This was BEFORE boarding had started. Nobody was in the plane yet, other than FAs.
Walk up for your BP **without** you rollaboard. Computer bag over your shoulder. "Thanks for the seat".... you can always maintain eye contact with your bag.

if this happened to me Id call the CK desk and have them call the gate. cheating I know.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:03 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
You should print out the following thread and hand it to the GA in exchange for your BP:
Roll Aboard vs. Roller Board.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wetrat0
You should print out the following thread and hand it to the GA in exchange for your BP:
Roll Aboard vs. Roller Board.
That link is closed to new posts....

How about...

"If you make be check in my rollerboard and not there's, then I will be arguing with you and not enjoying an expresso, which might delay the flight's departure causing an IROPS/IRRRROPS. I can't because there's jewlery inside.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
I would suggest an email to customer relations explaining what happened and asking for clarification that this is a new policy. Since it almost certainly isn't, you should get an apology and you've at least made AA aware of what at least one of their GAs is doing.
+1

We've all been bitten by the gate check bug. . All I ask is that the rules are not arbitrary, clear and consistently applied. . Without feedback, that won't happen.

How many times has one rushed to catch a connection and the F bins are full? Having watched countless Y pax put items in F overheads and then stroll back, I know that's all too often the reason they are full.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Admirals Club, Global Entry
I've seen the "gate check bug" strike countless times in countless different situations -- especially for RJs and for the non-elite boarding groups. That's why I still travel with an old soft-sided bag -- that, and the weight & space savings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.