Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Dropping last or first leg of an award ticket - any repercussions? (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Dropping last or first leg of an award ticket.

This wikipost is a starter wikipost; please feel free to add to it.

Originally Posted by guv1976

There is no charge for dropping the final segment(s) of a one-way Flex award, as long as doing so does not change the award's destination zone . If you are worried about losing your free DFW stopover, then do not call to drop the MAD-TXL segment until after you have flown YYC-DFW. HOWEVER...

DO note AA has instructed agents not to drop or add segments if doing so violates a married segment rule governing that award. See More award availability restricted by married segments / connections for further information.

(Otherwise) If an AA agent (erroneously) tries to charge you a change fee, refer the agent to the February 3, 2011, internal memo entitled "Dropping OWFA segments."
Originally Posted by JonNYC
shown here with some examples:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54131097@N07/14520915433/

Originally posted here:
http://www.travelingbetter.com/showthread.php?t=4814

Same thing, interchangeable terminology.
Print Wikipost

Dropping last or first leg of an award ticket - any repercussions? (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:04 am

no, segments are only married at the point of reserving where inventory is made available.
AA can’t tell by looking at an existing reservation that segments were married.
and AA doesn’t do an inventory check at the point of dropping segment (on an award tix).
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by Colin
no, segments are only married at the point of reserving where inventory is made available.
AA can’t tell by looking at an existing reservation that segments were married.
and AA doesn’t do an inventory check at the point of dropping segment (on an award tix).
Well, that hasn't been my experience and hasn't been what AAgents have told me. Every time I've tried this, AAgents have told me they get an "married segment error" (or something similar in so many words) when they try to dump one of the segments. The really dumb AAgents just try to drop it and tell me it can't be done and have no clue why it even can't be done; the smarter agents realize what the problem is. The nice agents you get after a lot of HUCA somehow manage to get a supervisor to drop the segment somehow; I'm not sure what they're doing or how they're doing or why they're not doing it every time and why this is so inconsistent. You are correct that they don't do an inventory check at this point, but they certainly see that the segments are married.

I could be wrong and I've gotten *a lot* of really dumb AAgents, but my experience conflicts with your statement that AA can’t tell by looking at an existing reservation that segments were married when booked. Plus, other people in this thread have had similar experiences as mine.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:20 am

i’ve done it twice.
both times several weeks after ticketing.
both times they did try to charge change fee until gently i prompted not to.
Old Sep 25, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
I'm assuming this can't be done with reduced mileage awards
Old Oct 24, 2018, 7:43 am

For those having had success dropping the first leg.
Does it matter if the award was booked through AA or a OW partner?

I’m flying BOS-NYC-Brazil booked on JAL through miles. All flights operated by AA. Trying to drop the BOS-NYC leg.

Thanks
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:16 am

no chance AA will drop the segment, except maybe, slightly possible if a delay a few hours prior to departure time
Old Oct 24, 2018, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by italian7
For those having had success dropping the first leg.
Does it matter if the award was booked through AA or a OW partner?

I’m flying BOS-NYC-Brazil booked on JAL through miles. All flights operated by AA. Trying to drop the BOS-NYC leg.

Thanks
It matters.

​​​​​​​The ability to drop beginning or ending segment(s) is a feature of AA's one-way Flex awards. It is not a feature of partner awards booked on AA metal. For those, you must consult with the FFP which issued the award ticket to find out if a segment can be dropped, and if so, at what cost.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold
I have a round trip from DCA-JFK that I booked several months ago--leaves on Friday, returns on Monday. (I will be taking an Iberia flight to Madrid from JFK for a long weekend.) I ended up having to go to Chicago for work upon returning on Monday, and booked a separate ticket through my work travel portal from JFK to ORD. I was hoping to use the first leg of the DCA-JFK round trip, and skip the second, taking the one day JFK-ORD flight I booked separately through work.

What are the chances that my DCA-JFK leg gets cancelled due to having two separate reservations with flights on Monday? Will I be able to use the first leg before that happens? I just got a confirmed upgrade on the DCA-JFK flight today, so their systems clearly haven't gotten to it.

I called the AAdvantage line today and they wanted to charge me to change the round trip flight to one day since it was a non-refundable ticket and I said I would take my chances if it gets cancelled--push comes to shove, I'll hope on a train to New York, but wondering if based on other's experiences what is likely to happen.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by dcfit
I have a round trip from DCA-JFK that I booked several months ago--leaves on Friday, returns on Monday. (I will be taking an Iberia flight to Madrid from JFK for a long weekend.) I ended up having to go to Chicago for work upon returning on Monday, and booked a separate ticket through my work travel portal from JFK to ORD. I was hoping to use the first leg of the DCA-JFK round trip, and skip the second, taking the one day JFK-ORD flight I booked separately through work.

What are the chances that my DCA-JFK leg gets cancelled due to having two separate reservations with flights on Monday? Will I be able to use the first leg before that happens? I just got a confirmed upgrade on the DCA-JFK flight today, so their systems clearly haven't gotten to it.

I called the AAdvantage line today and they wanted to charge me to change the round trip flight to one day since it was a non-refundable ticket and I said I would take my chances if it gets cancelled--push comes to shove, I'll hope on a train to New York, but wondering if based on other's experiences what is likely to happen.
It will be no problem. As long as both tickets are fully ticketed (not on hold, etc.) then AA will not arbitrarily cancel one of them just because they're on the same day. Once you land at JFK on Friday after flying your outbound DCA-JFK, just go online at aa.com and cancel the reservation as a safety measure.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 4:18 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
It will be no problem. As long as both tickets are fully ticketed (not on hold, etc.) then AA will not arbitrarily cancel one of them just because they're on the same day. Once you land at JFK on Friday after flying your outbound DCA-JFK, just go online at aa.com and cancel the reservation as a safety measure.
Thank you! The agent on the phone was trying to tell me it was a good possibility they would cancel the first flight, which sounded absurd to me--your advice is exactly what I am hoping to do. Just baffling that they would try to charge me a change fee and price difference to make it a one-way flight.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 6:10 am
Suspended

Not so sure I agree with the above.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:34 pm

wanted DFW-NAS saver J and not available
saw IAH-DFW-NAS available in saver J and ticketed it
called to drop IAH-DFW, agent denied because DFW-NAS not available in saver J
called again to drop IAH-DFW, agent tried to charge $150 fee, I pushed back on that, she went to her support desk who denied because DFW-NAS not available in saver J
called again to drop IAH-DFW, agent denied because DFW-NAS not available in saver J. i cancelled & redeposited under 24 hour free cancel rule.

unsure if the original ticket is being marked as married-segments requiring resell of all kept segments at time of dropped segment OR if the new rule is more broadly applied to all dropped-segment requests (even if was never a married-segment inventory issue)
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:48 pm
Suspended

deleted

Last edited by JonNYC; Dec 14, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Old Dec 16, 2018, 11:03 pm

today’s flight schedule change was sufficient reason to get AA’s support desk to drop the unwanted segment
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:02 am

I have a MVD-MIA-ATL-LGA saver award and am trying to drop the MIA-ATL-LGA legs so I can but a direct MIA-NYC flight to get some EQDs (and have one less connection). There is no saver availability on MVD-MIA.

The agent says this is changing the routing and not allowed? Is this correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.