Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Dropping last or first leg of an award ticket - any repercussions? (merged threads)

Old Jan 7, 2016, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Dropping last or first leg of an award ticket.

This wikipost is a starter wikipost; please feel free to add to it.

Originally Posted by guv1976

There is no charge for dropping the final segment(s) of a one-way Flex award, as long as doing so does not change the award's destination zone . If you are worried about losing your free DFW stopover, then do not call to drop the MAD-TXL segment until after you have flown YYC-DFW. HOWEVER...

DO note AA has instructed agents not to drop or add segments if doing so violates a married segment rule governing that award. See More award availability restricted by married segments / connections for further information.

(Otherwise) If an AA agent (erroneously) tries to charge you a change fee, refer the agent to the February 3, 2011, internal memo entitled "Dropping OWFA segments."
Originally Posted by JonNYC
shown here with some examples:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54131097@N07/14520915433/

Originally posted here:
http://www.travelingbetter.com/showthread.php?t=4814

Same thing, interchangeable terminology.
Print Wikipost

Dropping last or first leg of an award ticket - any repercussions? (merged threads)

Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by erik123
I have a MVD-MIA-ATL-LGA saver award and am trying to drop the MIA-ATL-LGA legs so I can but a direct MIA-NYC flight to get some EQDs (and have one less connection). There is no saver availability on MVD-MIA.

The agent says this is changing the routing and not allowed? Is this correct?
This has nothing to do with dropping the last leg(s) of an award; that would involve ending your award trip at MIA.

Assuming that SAAver availability exists on a MIA-LGA nonstop, and there are no "married segment" issues, you should be able to substitute a MIA-LGA nonstop for the MIA-ATL-LGA segments without charge. However, changing to a MIA-JFK or MIA-EWR nonstop would not be a free change, as that would involve changing the award's destination airport. (It does not matter that LGA, JFK, and EWR are co-terminals.)
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:08 am

I want to end the award trip in Miami. I will buy a seprate ticket to NYC as I need the EQDs.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by erik123
I want to end the award trip in Miami. I will buy a seprate ticket to NYC as I need the EQDs.
Call back and refer the agent to the internal AA memo that permits free dropping of award segments, and long as doing so does not change the award's destination zone. Escalate to a supervisor, if necessary.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by guv1976
Call back and refer the agent to the internal AA memo that permits free dropping of award segments, and long as doing so does not change the award's destination zone. Escalate to a supervisor, if necessary.
I managed in the end but it was like pulling teeth. The first agent initially refused but after conferring with a supervisor allowed it as an exception. The 2nd (we were on two PNRs and I had to call back) said it was not allowed and the supervisor agreed once again but made an exception also. They were going to report the other agent. I mentioned the memo both times but it was dismissed.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 2:42 pm

I am wanting to book award reservations for a family vacation to Hawaii and at present the award seats are there to do this. The problem is that my daughter is unsure of her summer plans and it is very possible she will be spending the summer in Texas where she's attending school rather than coming back to the midwest. I booked a one way return flight for our family home from Hawaii which connects through DFW (where she could stay if she's working in Texas). The outbound portion of the flight also connects in DFW. My question is if I book her on the reservation with us from our midwest city (to protect us in the event she's here for the summer) can she drop the first segment if she does end up working in Texas? I know there was some change involving "married segments" but in this case the award seats show up on the DFW-Hawaii portion as well- though it is 10 weeks out from our intended travel date.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:46 am

Just wanted to make a data point:

I initially had Reduced Mileage from RDU - ORD - SNA (Using Quarter 3's discount Code - I believe SNA & RDU were in Q3)

I had a change of plans so I moved it to another date as a place holder. RDU - PHX - SNA (Now, using Q4's discount Code - RDU was in Q4)

I wanted to travel on a specific date - let's say date A - but the award wasn't available (and I didn't think it would become available). So I took a part of the bullet and this is what I did:

Changed reservation again to RDU - DFW - SNA on date B

Dropped DFW - SNA on date B

Changed RDU - DFW to date A (I needed to keep RDU since DFW nor SNA were now considered to be part of "reduced mileage awards")

and finally bought a cheap ticket from DFW - SNA (out of pocket).

Hopefully this helps someone - the first rep told me like 5 times this couldn't be done and she finally asked if I wanted to talk to the supervisor. I got connected and the supervisor completed all the change and confirmed it can be done without a fee.

Basically without a fee, you can:
  • Use different reduced mileage award codes as long as starting or destination is on the list
  • Drop reduced mileage award segment(s)
  • Upon dropping a reduced mileage award segment, make an even exchange
Old Feb 10, 2022, 6:00 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
What's the policy nowadays?

I got a great deal on a web special using miles. A one-way ticket next week, GJT-PHX-DFW-OKC. The Phoenix to DFW flight arrives at 12:30 a.m. and the flight Oklahoma City leaves at 7:00 a.m. the next morning. My ultimate destination is Wichita falls, so I could go to Oklahoma City if I had to. But, I would prefer to just get off the plane in Dallas. Unfortunately I have golf clubs, so I have to check at least one bag. If I wasn't checking bags, I would just bail on the last flight. Should I call and try to get them to remove the last leg? Or should I ask at Grand junction if they can short check my bags and let me pick them up at dfw?
Old Feb 10, 2022, 7:30 pm

AA doesn’t accept checked bags on overnight connections. cheat away! and just ignore that Baptists.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by thunderdeacon
I got a great deal on a web special using miles. A one-way ticket next week, GJT-PHX-DFW-OKC. The Phoenix to DFW flight arrives at 12:30 a.m. and the flight Oklahoma City leaves at 7:00 a.m. the next morning. My ultimate destination is Wichita falls, so I could go to Oklahoma City if I had to. But, I would prefer to just get off the plane in Dallas. Unfortunately I have golf clubs, so I have to check at least one bag. If I wasn't checking bags, I would just bail on the last flight. Should I call and try to get them to remove the last leg? Or should I ask at Grand junction if they can short check my bags and let me pick them up at dfw?
Originally Posted by Colin
AA doesn’t accept checked bags on overnight connections. cheat away! and just ignore that Baptists.
Web Specials cannot be changed (except when there's a schedule change/cancellation). Even for elites, they can be refunded, but not changed. If your bags are short-checked to DFW, then you'll be fine "accidentally" missing your last segment.
Old Nov 17, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
Just a data point for an international trip.
I was looking for DOH-MIA using miles, on AA DOH-JFK-MIA was not available in Economy (well, it was at a higher price) and I found AMM-DOH-JFK-MIA for the same date for 40K (sAAver award). I book it, then I called to drop AMM-DOH and leave DOH-JFK-MIA intact, which it worked it out since AMM and DOH and on the same zone. I will say in this scenario, AA made DOH-JFK-MIA available for sAAver price as long DOH was not the origin, like a married segment, but it was the first time I see this with a partner flight.
Old Jan 3, 2024, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA, AS, BA, QF
I am trying to drop the first segment on BNE-SYD-LAX on QF ticketed with an Advantage award, but the agents tell me that I have to cancel the whole itinerary, and rebook it, running the risk that the SYD-LAX (in award first class) will vaporize. Is it really the case that this is the only way to approach it, and the ticket cannot be simply modified? Any suggestions on how to approach this problem would be very welcome. Best wishes to all for a great new year!
Old Jan 4, 2024, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by qgpv
I am trying to drop the first segment on BNE-SYD-LAX on QF ticketed with an Advantage award, but the agents tell me that I have to cancel the whole itinerary, and rebook it, running the risk that the SYD-LAX (in award first class) will vaporize. Is it really the case that this is the only way to approach it, and the ticket cannot be simply modified? Any suggestions on how to approach this problem would be very welcome. Best wishes to all for a great new year!
The only thing you can do is just try HUCA many times to see if you happen to get an experienced agent that is willing and knows how to do it.

In theory it still should be possible to change partner awards without having to cancel and rebook everything (including dropping a segment).

However since AA updated the award rules so that AA metal flight awards can't be changed, many agents are either just poorly trained and don't know how to make changes, or they just erroneously claim that no changes can be made to any awards, period.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 2:39 pm

Programs: AA, AS, BA, QF
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The only thing you can do is just try HUCA many times to see if you happen to get an experienced agent that is willing and knows how to do it.

In theory it still should be possible to change partner awards without having to cancel and rebook everything (including dropping a segment).

However since AA updated the award rules so that AA metal flight awards can't be changed, many agents are either just poorly trained and don't know how to make changes, or they just erroneously claim that no changes can be made to any awards, period.
Thank you for the advice. It is very helpful to know that it can be done, As suggested, I HUCA and eventually found an agent who did it on the spot.
JJeffrey likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic 1, Amtrak Select, Marriott Plat , AMEX Plat (noted for club access reference)
I see ACY-PHL-LAX constantly available for 9K in E and 19K in J. (ACY-PHL) is operated by a bus. Is it possible to have the ACY-PHL segment dropped, or no-show it (since it is a bus).

That same route date and time PHL-LAX is 25K in E and 45K in J.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by theboss7593
I see ACY-PHL-LAX constantly available for 9K in E and 19K in J. (ACY-PHL) is operated by a bus. Is it possible to have the ACY-PHL segment dropped, or no-show it (since it is a bus).

That same route date and time PHL-LAX is 25K in E and 45K in J.
There are no changes to AA only awards anymore so it's not possible to just drop that segment.

Whether you could no-show for the ACY-PHL bus segment and still make the PHL-LAX segment would depend entirely on if AA treats it as a real "flight" with boarding passes scanned, etc. I think that they do (IIRC) although I would check the dedicated thread on the PHL bus service.

Assuming the bus segment is treated as a real "flight" then as soon as you didn't show up for the ACY-PHL segment the rest of the itinerary would be cancelled.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.