Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Hayes, USDOT and AA: "fictitious bookings" and checking for upgrade space

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 29, 2014, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Hayes, USDOT and AA: "fictitious bookings" and checking upgrade space

This new thread consolidates a number of pages of posts regarding AA's confiscation of 60,000 miles from Joel Hayes. AA says Hayes made "fictitious" "bookings" when he ran web searches on AA.COM. Hayes says he was only running searches and never requested that any itinerary be put on hold or any inventory reserved.

Link to PDF of USDOT Order of Didmissal of Mr. Hayes' complaint against AA 14 Dec 2016. C/o AndyAA.

[/quote]In our view, it was not a deceptive practice for American to determine that these actions had “all the hallmarks” of a fraudulent attempt to obtain an upgrade and to take adverse action without warning him. Even if American was mistaken about Mr. Hayes’ true motives, this fact standing alone would not rise to the level of a deceptive practice.

We see no basis for questioning the methods by which American’s corporate security department determined that Mr. Hayes’ practice of repeatedly accessing the website’s reservations features so close to the date of departure was designed to hold or block seats. In so concluding, we pass no judgment on whether we believe that Mr. Hayes was in fact intending to misuse the system. Because we have found no evidence of unfair or deceptive practices with respect to American’s fraud-detection methods, we dismiss that element of the complaint.[/quote]

Link to Joel Hayes - Complaint Against American Airlines Inc. (US DOT, on regulations.gov)

The original Account audit / fraud issues - Busted selling miles / SWU / VIP, etc (consolidated) can be found here.

Print Wikipost

Hayes, USDOT and AA: "fictitious bookings" and checking for upgrade space

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2017, 7:29 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Using "google flight search", I can see pricing for longer periods than AA.com shows; google flights in many instances has found AA flights which I could NOT find directly on AA.com. EXPERT FLYER can give me "in-depth" flt info I can't get elsewhere.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 6:09 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by FWAAA

Sure, he didn't press "hold" or "purchase," but so what? He was clearly making a "booking" which removed the seats from inventory for some period of time, even if less than the 24 hours that AA permits legitimate purchasers to hold reservations. That might account for the 28 fictitious bookings in those four days.
I don't agree. I always check flight availability without booking. If AA's system holds seats (and it may well do to protect the booking until the customer books) then it needs a better system to release those same seats.

Airlines acting like governments. It's a bit odd.
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
After 3.5+ years, I expected a better reply.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.