Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Is the lack of program merging plan holding you back with AA/US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2014, 11:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I am wondering how the lack of information on the plan to merge the programs affects your booking habits / frequent flyer strategy with AA and US?

I just crossed 1 MM on UA and will requalify for 1K (EXP) in the next 2-3 weeks. Living at a US hub, it is getting harder to find UA award seats without US. I think the big picture says I should jump over to US or AA. However, the lack of any announcements worries me and is holding me back.

I guess I am more comfortable staying with something that I know is/will change for the worse than going for something that I don't know what will happen. I am probably not the norm. I wonder what the views are here.

Thanks.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 12:21 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
I'm a AA flyer and this is not bothering me, I also live in an area where it's either AA or UA. In your case, just go with the program that works for you. Plenty of information here on people thinking of switching from UA to AA/US. Since you have MM and will get 1k shortly, maybe give in and switch to US for the remainder flights, perhaps a challenge, and see if you like it. Just try and see if they fly to your normal destination, where you get the bulk of your miles and make the decision. Only you can determine this.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 5:34 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I have not flown any revenue flights on AA/US since the merger because of lack of information on the new AAdvantage program. They announced that US DM will be merger with AAdvantage in 2015 but no details were provided as to when that will happen or what the new program will look like.

I'm not dedicating any travel on AA/US not knowing what benefits I'll be getting in 2015. I was quite disappointed when they didn't combine balances for 2014 status - Now, I have Platinum with AA and Silver with US - and could have had Chairman's/EXP. All the announcements about raising award levels, multiple award tiers, and the quite lacking upgrade process are not inspiring me to commit any travel to AA/US.

A simple example - my US Silver status gets me upgraded on US within 48 hours but if I used my (supposedly higher) AA Platinum, I'll get upgraded only within 24 hours, of course, if seats are available.

So, no, no AA/US for me until I know what they plan to offer for frequent fliers. I'll stick to UA and *A in the mean time. And burn as fast as possible all my AA/US miles before they become completely worthless.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
No, the lack of program details are not holding me back. The combined domestic flight network is too convenient. I have had generally good experiences on my US flights, and I'm 5-for-5 on upgrades on US metal since the 6/11 program change. Only once this year have I had to fly a different carrier because of a huge price discrepancy, and that's going to be on an upcoming DCA-ORD one-way.

I've transited PHX and PHL a couple of times each. Not the greatest hubs in the world, but functional. I'm testing out the late-night CLT hub in a couple of weeks, having a 10:35pm CLT-ORD is fantastic for going away for the weekend.

By the end of the year, I will have transited every AA/US hub except for JFK. Whatever happens with the miles will probably be a bit annoying. But that's secondary to getting my business travel done efficiently and comfortably, and taking the occasional paid leisure trip along the way.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Given the minimum spend requirements on DL and UA, the reduction in mileage awarded on UA and the general state of UA, why would anyone besides a full fare passenger fly on UA?
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
I have not held back booking AA this year at all. I'm at 75k miles and should hit EXP for 2015 by the end of September if not sooner. I have avoided booking any flights on US metal so far as I don't want to miss any upgrades. Therefore I have not transited any of the US hubs yet even though AA.com often offers me trips transferring at the US hubs which are almost always cheaper than transferring at the AA hubs. I especially find that transferring at CLT or PHX seems to frequently be cheaper than connecting in DFW or ORD. I don't know if that says anything or not about profitability issues with the PHX and CLT hubs???

In any case, I do share the OP's concern that there is very little information out there regarding this merger lately. The only major thing announced this year has been the "alignment" of premium cabin meal policies between US and AA for domestic flights. It's starting to seem like things are moving at a snails pace with this merger. Shouldn't AA be publishing updates every 2-3 months on progress and what to expect. I know mergers of this size take time but management needs to do a much better job at keeping flyers informed.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP(4mm), DL Gold, UA Gold (1mm), HH Diamond, Bonvoy Amb(l/t Titanium). Former EA/PA elite
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Given the minimum spend requirements on DL and UA, the reduction in mileage awarded on UA and the general state of UA, why would anyone besides a full fare passenger fly on UA?
+1!
I so concur. AA service today (I cannot speak for US) is so far ahead of anything that UA does, it's hard to imagine anyone bailing on AA at this stage of the game.....especially to go to UA. DL may be a different story, but UA? No way.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Basically, hub captives who don't want to connect, corp. clients w/o alternatives (and who have big discounts)...maybe MMers who don't have to worry about PQD?

Has been a breath of fresh air flying AA the last couple weeks!
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:59 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT

I expect the combined program has already been well defined, delay is in the monstrous task of implementation. I believe that Parker and Kirby sincerely want to get it right the first time, if for no other reason than to avoid a customer service nightmare.

As indicated by the abrupt award re-alignment, devaluation earlier this year: it is clear that Parker and Kirby have no intention of periodic announcements in advance of significant changes.

What surprises me the most is the lack of leaks, with so many employees, contractors involved.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 5:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, HHonors Diamond, National
I have been mostly pleasantly surprised. I am only AA PLT but have recently gotten upgrades on two US flights. I would not have gotten the upgrades on AA without the stickers (and maybe not even then) so that was a nice surprise. I've also been OK with the credit for flights on either airline to my PLT account. It has worked pretty well. The only downsides I've really seen is that I had to call US to get seats in the equivalent of the Main Cabin Extra and of course the mad dash through the obstacle course in Terminal E in CLT for connections.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, 2MM, HHonors Dia
No holding me back

I am holding my breath and hoping aginst all odds that AA will remain the same great airline that I have been flying for the past several years. I live north of DEN so I must drive an hour to get to the airport that only has a few AA gates. I am sure there are some of you out there that choose to fly AA in a UA dominated territory. Its very hard to maintain EXP status especially when I don't fly for my job. All my flights are funded by me.

I will remain loyal to AA until they too have a spend requirement. I will have to bow out of the game kicking and screaming at that time. I have attained PLT for life (Whatever that will mean in the future)?

I have converted many 1Ks over to AA (the dAArkside) as I was told before they saw the light and enjoy all the benefits that AA has to offer.

Although, I have several flights in my future that I have tried to use SWU's (one booked 10 months before the flight) so I am seeing changes happen being constantly waitlisted. I am hoping that I get upgraded, perhaps I'm foolish.......
Old Jul 19, 2014, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I am PLT on AA, But holding back business from AA/US pending details. I am as DL DM who is possibly looking to redevote my loyalty
Old Jul 19, 2014, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Seat 1F
In any case, I do share the OP's concern that there is very little information out there regarding this merger lately. The only major thing announced this year has been the "alignment" of premium cabin meal policies between US and AA for domestic flights. It's starting to seem like things are moving at a snails pace with this merger.
It's a lot better to get it done right than get it done quickly. Go ask some folks on the UA board how 3/3/12 went for them.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

OP here. At one point, I had HP Platinum and also AA Platinum (separate years). When HP merged with US, they quietly dropped the HP shorthaul awards. So, although I think he has done a good job with US after the initial cuts ($2 for water, no IFE), I don't have a lot of trust in DP for not screwing the customer.

I guess the lack of information can be viewed different ways:

1 - it is really taking this long to figure things out
2 - strategically, they want to see where DL and UA end up before deciding what to do
3 - it is all decided, just not released because a lot of people won't be happy with the new program

Network-wise, TPE (Taipei) is my most visited overseas destination. oneworld is the only alliance that does not fly TPAC nonstop to TPE - UA+BR in *A and CI in ST. So, it means CX or JL and more time getting there. Maybe AA will restart SJC-TPE or CX will do PHX-HKG. I know it is wishful thinking.

Another complication for me is that UA is our corporate preferred carrier. I can book UA even if it is more expensive. If I go with US/AA, it has to have the lowest fare. So, I am not sure if I can do 25,000 EQP in 3 months for the match -- and I don't know if I can do 100,000 miles on AA/US next year.

I guess the information that can help me decide would be:

1 - million miler calculation for merging and going forward - will I have a shot of making 1MM if I switch and fly on them for a few years?
2 - fee structure - is it going to be crazy like US or more friendly like AA?
3 - will there be a Platinum level?

I know no one knows. I guess maybe I will stick with UA until at least 2/28 (i.e. when they are still giving mileage based RDM). This of course just defers the decision making...

Last edited by username; Jul 20, 2014 at 1:57 am
Old Jul 20, 2014, 7:01 am

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
Originally Posted by username
I just crossed 1 MM on UA and will requalify for 1K (EXP) in the next 2-3 weeks. Living at a US hub, it is getting harder to find UA award seats without US. I think the big picture says I should jump over to US or AA. However, the lack of any announcements worries me and is holding me back.
I faced a similar problem two years ago. Really frustrated with UA, flying mostly out of a US-dominated city (it was still *A), and no ability to get into DCA on AA from my home city without awkward routings. I got a status match and took the plunge. Here's what made it work for me:

-- My MM status gave me *gold for the few times I absolutely had to fly UA or PMUS. That helped with seating and irrops recovery.

-- US and AA were talking merger, so I was fairly confident that a lashup of some sort would be coming.

Looking back, it worked pretty well. I got two years of better benefits (AA upgrades, fewer cancelled flights, etc). Since AA's FF program change won't likely occur until calendar year 2016, it may be worth it to change now, especially if you can status match.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.