Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) Issues
Getting AA EQ and Award Miles credit for involuntary rerouting - on AA or other airlines)

Previous posts on this subject are archived here.

Q. Can I earn the originally scheduled Elite Qualifying Dollars, Miles and Segments and Award Miles when I'm involuntarily rerouted to shorter flights, or to another airline?
A. You may be able to. Whether you can will depend on several conditions.

Situation 1: YES: You are flying and crediting to AA and miss your connection and are rerouted to other AA flights; you would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights (if you'd rather earn according to the new routing and it's eligible for miles accrual, you need do nothing - as always, keep boarding passes in case there are questions later).

● The preferred solution is to ask the AA agent to add a note to the PNR stating you were involuntarily rerouted and should get original routing credit while you are being rerouted; this often makes things easier later.

● If this did not happen, you will have to contact AAdvantage Customer Service, preferably to your Elite line to the reservations desk; the recommended wording is to state, more or less, "I was given an involuntary reroute and request original routing credit".

● EQ Segment credit may be more difficult to secure; nonetheless, members have reported having it granted.

● Agents seem to be fond of telling requesters they will grant ORC "this time on a one time basis, as an exception"; however, ORC seems to be pretty standard.

Situation 2: YES: You are flying and crediting to AA and are rerouted to flights operated by another airline; you would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights.

● The preferred solution is to ask the AA agent to add a note to the PNR stating you were involuntarily rerouted and should get original routing credit while you are being rerouted; this often makes things easier later.

Example: You are flying AA SMF-DFW-MSP (2,283 miles), but OSO causes AA to endorse your ticket to, and has you flying Alaska Airlines SMF-SEA-MSP (2,040 miles). ORC will grant you 2,283 base miles as if you had flown AA and calculate your EQ and Award miles accordingly.

● If you'd rather earn in the operating airline's FFP according to the new routing and it's eligible for miles accrual, you need do nothing; your original ticket was endorsed over to the operating airline - as always, keep boarding passes in case there are questions later)

Situation 3: NOT EXACTLY: You are flying on an "instant upgrade" fare and crediting to AA, and are rerouted to flights operated by another airline. You would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights.

Example: You are flying AA SMF-DFW-MSP (2,283 miles) in "instant upgrade" First, but OSO causes AA to endorse your ticket to, and has you flying Alaska Airlines in Coach SMF-SEA-MSP (2,040 miles). (AA will generally allow you to cancel your flights for full refundability, fly the next available AA flight in Main Cabin if there's no same fare availability (that can be a day or two later) or fly in the next available Main Cabin seat.

● ORC in this instance will grant you 2,283 base miles as if you had flown AA and may calculate your EQ and Award miles in accordance with your originally, pre-upgrade K fare (you will normally be flying AS coach in this situation).

● If you'd rather earn in the operating airline's FFP according to the new routing and it's eligible for miles accrual, you need do nothing; your original ticket was endorsed over to the operating airline - as always, keep boarding passes in case there are questions later)

Situation 4: NO: You are flying an AA partner airline, but crediting your flight activity to AA; you miss your connection and are rerouted to flights operated by another airline; you would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights.

Example: you are flying BA to LHR and onward to VCE, but due to operational problems BA are routes you via FRA on LH.

● AA has no obligation to you, and Original Routing Credit is not likely to be granted. You will have the opportunity to earn in Lufthansa etc. Miles and More.

Situation 5: NO: You are flying AA and stand by or Same Day Flight Change or are otherwise granted rerouting for your personal convenience; you would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights.

● Generally, AA has no obligation to you because your rerouting is voluntary and not due to any act by or to AA.

Link to AAdvantage Customer Service e-form and telephone numbers.

Situation 6: NO: You were scheduled to fly AA, but AA cancelled the flight and offered a seat the next day. You cancelled the ticket, AA refunded your ticket and you purchased a ticket on another airline; you want Original Routing Credit.

● AA has no obligation to you, and Original Routing Credit is not likely to be granted. You cancelled your AA ticket voluntarily, accepted a refund and flew on another airline.[/b]

Print Wikipost

FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by mvoight
Does AA give ORC when crediting to BA?
While I can't answer this specific question, AA have replied to my GF's claim for ORC by saying they won't entertain any claim as the delay is being attributed to ATC. While there certainly was an ATC delay this only occurred after we were delayed because of the mechanical issue with the aircraft. We tried to argue that had the aircraft not needed to have its front tyres replaced then we would have had an on-time departure, and that we were only subjected to the ATC restrictions because of the mechanical issues. AA have said that because we were re-accommodated and booked onto other flights they won't do anything for us.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage Hotels, Marriott
Just wanted to add a recent ORC denial experience.

It was a semi-involuntary. I was scheduled to fly DTW-ORD-PHX. The inbound flight was delayed on its way to DTW ensuring I would miss my ORD-PHX connection. Once my connection time was down to 10 minutes including the change of terminals, I approached the counter and the rep rebooked me the following day on the non-stop. This caused me to fall 206 EQM short of a status tier.

On Jan 2nd, I called the AAdvantage line requesting an original routing credit. They wouldn't give me the credit, however they did grant me the status I would've gained had I flown the original routing.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Have a situation that I'm not sure what can be done, if anything. We were booked in PE to HNL, due to weather delays, we missed our original connection to HNL. Rebooked on the next flight but PE sold out, so I was downgraded to Y (wife kept her seat in PE). At the last second there was a no-show so the GA came on board and told me I could move up to PE, but that she couldn't get me a new boarding pass as AA had already refunded the fare difference. I was kind of stunned by this as I'd never had this happen before. Indeed, I did get the fare difference (or at least an amount that sounds reasonable, actually) refunded to my CC. Unfortunately I only earned Y class miles, not PE. Really could use the 1.5xEQMs because we probably won't fly too much this year but still find it worthwhile to keep GLD status. Anyone have any experience with this?
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by no1cub17
Have a situation that I'm not sure what can be done, if anything. We were booked in PE to HNL, due to weather delays, we missed our original connection to HNL. Rebooked on the next flight but PE sold out, so I was downgraded to Y (wife kept her seat in PE). At the last second there was a no-show so the GA came on board and told me I could move up to PE, but that she couldn't get me a new boarding pass as AA had already refunded the fare difference. I was kind of stunned by this as I'd never had this happen before. Indeed, I did get the fare difference (or at least an amount that sounds reasonable, actually) refunded to my CC. Unfortunately I only earned Y class miles, not PE. Really could use the 1.5xEQMs because we probably won't fly too much this year but still find it worthwhile to keep GLD status. Anyone have any experience with this?
Call AAdvantage Customer Service: (888) 697-5636.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:45 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by donotblink
Call AAdvantage Customer Service: (888) 697-5636.
Am planning on it. Was just curious if others had the same issue and if they got the PE credit as originally purchased. But yes I'm definitely going to call in.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 10:53 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat, Skymiles, Honors
No EQD for IROPS? (To merge ORC)

After a recent delay in which I was bounced to DL from my AA flights, I was surprised to learn that AAdvantage will not post the original (or any) EQD's, EQM's or miles for flight re-accommodations that involve weather delays. In my case, this translated a $700 ticket into 168 EQDs. I'd rather not wast time on fiddly things like EQD's, but with the other changes to the program - e.g. raising the EQDs for EXP to 15,000 - providing full credit for money spent on travel completed seems like a pretty minimal bar to expect AA to meet.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:00 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

That is disappointing and good to know for the future.

I agree with you that AA should at minimum credit you the EQDs paid as AA kept that $$$ when rebooking you on DL. I would push for original routing credit if AA was the one that rebooked you on DL.
mvoight likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by maio
After a recent delay in which I was bounced to DL from my AA flights, I was surprised to learn that AAdvantage will not post the original (or any) EQD's, EQM's or miles for flight re-accommodations that involve weather delays. In my case, this translated a $700 ticket into 168 EQDs. I'd rather not wast time on fiddly things like EQD's, but with the other changes to the program - e.g. raising the EQDs for EXP to 15,000 - providing full credit for money spent on travel completed seems like a pretty minimal bar to expect AA to meet.
Welcome to FT. Who did you contact to try to claim the missing miles/EQDs? You need to call AAdvantage Customer Service, and ask for original routing credit. Don't focus or bring up the reason for the AA cancellation, just tell them your AA flight was cancelled and you were rebooked to DL and need ORC for your AA flights.
TSparky and Antarius like this.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 13, 2019 at 11:23 am Reason: Moderator adding highlighting to important information
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:17 am

Programs: A: PP, LTG/1.5M | UA: SLV | Bonvoy LTTi | IHG PLT| Avis PC | Nat'l Emerald Club EE
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Welcome to FT. Who did you contact to try to claim the missing miles/EQDs? You need to call AAdvantage Customer Service, and ask for original routing credit. Don't focus or bring up the reason for the AA cancellation, just tell them your AA flight was cancelled and you were rebooked to DL and need ORC for your AA flights.
+1. This happened to my wife recently--an e-mail to AA CS requesting ORC (and original fare/EQM/EQD credit since she was downgraded from paid F) fixed it.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 11:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

Follow JJeffrey’s advice.

The key things:

Call AAdvantage Customer Service, not reservations or the Elite numbers serving reservations (unless you’re possibly an Executive Platinum or Concierge Key.

Link to AAdvantage Customer Service e-form and telephone numbers.

Request original routing credit because of involuntary rerouting (these are the words they can relate to the AA policy for handling IROPS and awarding what you missed through no fault of your own).

See the thread FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) (master thd). Read the Wikipost at the top of the page. Good luck.
Antarius likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 13, 2019 at 11:36 am
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
I'm shocked AA put you on DL due to weather. Usually its MX or something and even then, begrudgingly.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 12:13 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Antarius
I'm shocked AA put you on DL due to weather. Usually its MX or something and even then, begrudgingly.
AA and DL decided to make nice last year, finally, after a messy trial separation.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
HUCA
Old Mar 13, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JDiver
AA and DL decided to make nice last year, finally, after a messy trial separation.
Yes, but AA is pretty stingy about not rebooking on other carriers due to WX. I've been rebooked on UA and DL due to MX, but when weather, I've been SOL.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Flying a partner - CX marketed, ticketed, and operated - in PE (E class). Last minute EQP change to a 2-cabin aircraft without PE meant I got the boot down to economy (L class) when I arrived at the airport. E class earnings are quite good on AA, while L earns nothing. Most of the scenarios I could find involving partners were for being rerouted on a non-OW carrier. Can I still obtain ORC? Do I need to instruct CX not to refund the fare difference in order to make this work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.