Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) Issues
Getting AA EQ and Award Miles credit for involuntary rerouting - on AA or other airlines)

Previous posts on this subject are archived here.

Q. Can I earn the originally scheduled Elite Qualifying Dollars, Miles and Segments and Award Miles when I'm involuntarily rerouted to shorter flights, or to another airline?
A. You may be able to. Whether you can will depend on several conditions.

Situation 1: YES: You are flying and crediting to AA and miss your connection and are rerouted to other AA flights; you would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights (if you'd rather earn according to the new routing and it's eligible for miles accrual, you need do nothing - as always, keep boarding passes in case there are questions later).

● The preferred solution is to ask the AA agent to add a note to the PNR stating you were involuntarily rerouted and should get original routing credit while you are being rerouted; this often makes things easier later.

● If this did not happen, you will have to contact AAdvantage Customer Service, preferably to your Elite line to the reservations desk; the recommended wording is to state, more or less, "I was given an involuntary reroute and request original routing credit".

● EQ Segment credit may be more difficult to secure; nonetheless, members have reported having it granted.

● Agents seem to be fond of telling requesters they will grant ORC "this time on a one time basis, as an exception"; however, ORC seems to be pretty standard.

Situation 2: YES: You are flying and crediting to AA and are rerouted to flights operated by another airline; you would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights.

● The preferred solution is to ask the AA agent to add a note to the PNR stating you were involuntarily rerouted and should get original routing credit while you are being rerouted; this often makes things easier later.

Example: You are flying AA SMF-DFW-MSP (2,283 miles), but OSO causes AA to endorse your ticket to, and has you flying Alaska Airlines SMF-SEA-MSP (2,040 miles). ORC will grant you 2,283 base miles as if you had flown AA and calculate your EQ and Award miles accordingly.

● If you'd rather earn in the operating airline's FFP according to the new routing and it's eligible for miles accrual, you need do nothing; your original ticket was endorsed over to the operating airline - as always, keep boarding passes in case there are questions later)

Situation 3: NOT EXACTLY: You are flying on an "instant upgrade" fare and crediting to AA, and are rerouted to flights operated by another airline. You would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights.

Example: You are flying AA SMF-DFW-MSP (2,283 miles) in "instant upgrade" First, but OSO causes AA to endorse your ticket to, and has you flying Alaska Airlines in Coach SMF-SEA-MSP (2,040 miles). (AA will generally allow you to cancel your flights for full refundability, fly the next available AA flight in Main Cabin if there's no same fare availability (that can be a day or two later) or fly in the next available Main Cabin seat.

● ORC in this instance will grant you 2,283 base miles as if you had flown AA and may calculate your EQ and Award miles in accordance with your originally, pre-upgrade K fare (you will normally be flying AS coach in this situation).

● If you'd rather earn in the operating airline's FFP according to the new routing and it's eligible for miles accrual, you need do nothing; your original ticket was endorsed over to the operating airline - as always, keep boarding passes in case there are questions later)

Situation 4: NO: You are flying an AA partner airline, but crediting your flight activity to AA; you miss your connection and are rerouted to flights operated by another airline; you would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights.

Example: you are flying BA to LHR and onward to VCE, but due to operational problems BA are routes you via FRA on LH.

● AA has no obligation to you, and Original Routing Credit is not likely to be granted. You will have the opportunity to earn in Lufthansa etc. Miles and More.

Situation 5: NO: You are flying AA and stand by or Same Day Flight Change or are otherwise granted rerouting for your personal convenience; you would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights.

● Generally, AA has no obligation to you because your rerouting is voluntary and not due to any act by or to AA.

Link to AAdvantage Customer Service e-form and telephone numbers.

Situation 6: NO: You were scheduled to fly AA, but AA cancelled the flight and offered a seat the next day. You cancelled the ticket, AA refunded your ticket and you purchased a ticket on another airline; you want Original Routing Credit.

● AA has no obligation to you, and Original Routing Credit is not likely to be granted. You cancelled your AA ticket voluntarily, accepted a refund and flew on another airline.[/b]

Print Wikipost

FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2022, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by kyushuman
I assumed ORC could only be successful if it's the operating carrier, AND you are also crediting to the operating carrier.
Does anyone have experience asking BA for ORC for an AA ticketed flight?
Thanks
See this post and its thread for a successful example.
kyushuman likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: AA EXP Plat, Mariott Gold, Hilton Gold
Rebooked on United - Miles and Points

All - This was a first where I was rebooked on United and my miles have not shown up. Am I entitled to request miles on the United flight after AA rebooked us to LIT through DEN. How would I go about doing this if possible?
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You can request "Original Routing Credit" from AA. Use these exact words. You will get credit for the ticket you purchased, as if it had been flown as written (not the route you flew on UA).
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And don't forget to claim the flight you flew on UA in your UA account. AA won't know, and if they did they wouldn't care.

Getting rebooked on another airline like this is a classic double dip situation.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ORC for segments in schedule change?

I have a trip coming up where I intentionally booked a routing with an extra segment, in order to get closer to 30 segments. I even payed a little extra than the more direct routing would cost (only $5).

One of the flights was dropped in a schedule change and so they rebooked me on the direct flight. There are no other options to reasonably get me back home with the extra segment (unless I want to try a 40 minute international-to-domestic connection at DFW -- I'm not sure what the MCT is there but it seems like a bad idea either way).

So it looks like I'm flying the new routing. is there any chance I can call or email and get credited with the extra segment? I did pay for it, after all.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:05 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
You can ask. They’ve done so in the past.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I have a trip coming up where I intentionally booked a routing with an extra segment, in order to get closer to 30 segments. I even payed a little extra than the more direct routing would cost (only $5).

One of the flights was dropped in a schedule change and so they rebooked me on the direct flight. There are no other options to reasonably get me back home with the extra segment (unless I want to try a 40 minute international-to-domestic connection at DFW -- I'm not sure what the MCT is there but it seems like a bad idea either way).

So it looks like I'm flying the new routing. is there any chance I can call or email and get credited with the extra segment? I did pay for it, after all.
Is the 40 minute connection from an airport with preclearance? Still seems iffy, but I can't imagine any other I-D connection with that short of a connection.
Old Jul 19, 2022, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
You can ask. They’ve done so in the past.
Obviously I have to accept the schedule change and they have to reissue the ticket in order to fly. Do I request this after I've flown?

Where do I send the request? There's an AAdvatage Desk phone number -- do I call that? Or use the web form to email? I'm EXP if it matters.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Advantage Customer Service is the desk you want I believe. I have reached out in the past when segments mattered more for qualifying. Not sure if anything has changed since EQS are no longer a thing.

See ORC master thread FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) (master thd)
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: BAEC
My understanding is that ORC only applies for on the day cancellations/delays (or maybe a day or two ahead of travel) that force you into another routing. I’d be surprised if you get ORC for a schedule change ahead of time. Otherwise this would be hog heaven for mileage runners: just book long and complex routings 6 or 12 months out then wait for the inevitable schedule change and take the direct route.

I’d be happy to prove wrong because I’ve often jazzed up trips I’d be taking anyway with messy routings to get more points.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Ah, I missed the advanced change part of the question. Yeah I would expect it to be a lot less likely to get ORC on a change booked in advance.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:18 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by kyushuman
I assumed ORC could only be successful if it's the operating carrier, AND you are also crediting to the operating carrier.
Does anyone have experience asking BA for ORC for an AA ticketed flight?
Thanks
Answering my own question here-- on the AA forum because it was an AA flight number, but I wanted BA Avios -- was quite surprised that I was successful getting BA to give me ORC for a missed connection (AA flight number, JAL was delayed and so I missed an AA metal flight). There is an FT member called BAMissingAvios who replied within a week of my PM requesting ORC. After asking me to send my BPs to an email, a few days later I'd been credited.
Old Jul 20, 2022, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by RichieMc
My understanding is that ORC only applies for on the day cancellations/delays (or maybe a day or two ahead of travel) that force you into another routing. I’d be surprised if you get ORC for a schedule change ahead of time. Otherwise this would be hog heaven for mileage runners: just book long and complex routings 6 or 12 months out then wait for the inevitable schedule change and take the direct route.

I’d be happy to prove wrong because I’ve often jazzed up trips I’d be taking anyway with messy routings to get more points.
These days it's largely all dollar based, so trying to get ORC is mainly about any missing LPs (if pushed off to another airline) and segments (to meet the minimum of 30 for rewards)
Old Nov 26, 2022, 5:26 am

EY Ticket with AA FF #

I was originally scheduled to fly MNL-AUH-JNB on EY. As you can earn AA miles on EY, I entered my FF #. Due to typhoon, we were rebooked on ET MNL-HKG-ADD-JNB. I requested ORC but just received a message from AA asking to send pics of BP’s.

Am I correct in that I should receive AA miles as ORC on the EY flight?
Old Jan 6, 2023, 11:45 am

If i'm on an AA-ticketed IB/BA marketed/operated flight in Business, and a schedule change prompts AA to rebook me to an AA marketed flight, thus losing out on a lot of LPs, would I be able to request ORC for the IB/BA marketed flights?
Does AA have the ability to rebook onto an IB/BA marketed flight when an AA code is an option to them?

This is for a cheap business class fare, so a difference of about 10-15K LPs.

Should I book these flights through BA to ensure they rebook me onto an BA marketed flight in case of a schedule change? Looking at November so chances are high of a schedule change/cancellation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.