Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 23, 2015, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) Issues
Getting AA EQ and Award Miles credit for involuntary rerouting - on AA or other airlines)

Previous posts on this subject are archived here.

Q. Can I earn the originally scheduled Elite Qualifying Dollars, Miles and Segments and Award Miles when I'm involuntarily rerouted to shorter flights, or to another airline?
A. You may be able to. Whether you can will depend on several conditions.

Situation 1: YES: You are flying and crediting to AA and miss your connection and are rerouted to other AA flights; you would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights (if you'd rather earn according to the new routing and it's eligible for miles accrual, you need do nothing - as always, keep boarding passes in case there are questions later).

● The preferred solution is to ask the AA agent to add a note to the PNR stating you were involuntarily rerouted and should get original routing credit while you are being rerouted; this often makes things easier later.

● If this did not happen, you will have to contact AAdvantage Customer Service, preferably to your Elite line to the reservations desk; the recommended wording is to state, more or less, "I was given an involuntary reroute and request original routing credit".

● EQ Segment credit may be more difficult to secure; nonetheless, members have reported having it granted.

● Agents seem to be fond of telling requesters they will grant ORC "this time on a one time basis, as an exception"; however, ORC seems to be pretty standard.

Situation 2: YES: You are flying and crediting to AA and are rerouted to flights operated by another airline; you would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights.

● The preferred solution is to ask the AA agent to add a note to the PNR stating you were involuntarily rerouted and should get original routing credit while you are being rerouted; this often makes things easier later.

Example: You are flying AA SMF-DFW-MSP (2,283 miles), but OSO causes AA to endorse your ticket to, and has you flying Alaska Airlines SMF-SEA-MSP (2,040 miles). ORC will grant you 2,283 base miles as if you had flown AA and calculate your EQ and Award miles accordingly.

● If you'd rather earn in the operating airline's FFP according to the new routing and it's eligible for miles accrual, you need do nothing; your original ticket was endorsed over to the operating airline - as always, keep boarding passes in case there are questions later)

Situation 3: NOT EXACTLY: You are flying on an "instant upgrade" fare and crediting to AA, and are rerouted to flights operated by another airline. You would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights.

Example: You are flying AA SMF-DFW-MSP (2,283 miles) in "instant upgrade" First, but OSO causes AA to endorse your ticket to, and has you flying Alaska Airlines in Coach SMF-SEA-MSP (2,040 miles). (AA will generally allow you to cancel your flights for full refundability, fly the next available AA flight in Main Cabin if there's no same fare availability (that can be a day or two later) or fly in the next available Main Cabin seat.

● ORC in this instance will grant you 2,283 base miles as if you had flown AA and may calculate your EQ and Award miles in accordance with your originally, pre-upgrade K fare (you will normally be flying AS coach in this situation).

● If you'd rather earn in the operating airline's FFP according to the new routing and it's eligible for miles accrual, you need do nothing; your original ticket was endorsed over to the operating airline - as always, keep boarding passes in case there are questions later)

Situation 4: NO: You are flying an AA partner airline, but crediting your flight activity to AA; you miss your connection and are rerouted to flights operated by another airline; you would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights.

Example: you are flying BA to LHR and onward to VCE, but due to operational problems BA are routes you via FRA on LH.

● AA has no obligation to you, and Original Routing Credit is not likely to be granted. You will have the opportunity to earn in Lufthansa etc. Miles and More.

Situation 5: NO: You are flying AA and stand by or Same Day Flight Change or are otherwise granted rerouting for your personal convenience; you would like to get the EQ / Award Miles for the originally scheduled flights.

● Generally, AA has no obligation to you because your rerouting is voluntary and not due to any act by or to AA.

Link to AAdvantage Customer Service e-form and telephone numbers.

Situation 6: NO: You were scheduled to fly AA, but AA cancelled the flight and offered a seat the next day. You cancelled the ticket, AA refunded your ticket and you purchased a ticket on another airline; you want Original Routing Credit.

● AA has no obligation to you, and Original Routing Credit is not likely to be granted. You cancelled your AA ticket voluntarily, accepted a refund and flew on another airline.[/b]

Print Wikipost

FAQ: Involuntary Reroute and Original Routing Credit (ORC) (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA EXP
Originally Posted by hartlogan
Did they refund you for the outbound of ticket B?
No. They refunded the return of ticket A (miles + $). When rebooking, the agent told me that rebooking it as a one-way would be more expensive. So, she just left the return leg with no refund (I didn't really care much because it was booked by a client...client doesn't care either because I made it to work on time).
Old Feb 4, 2016, 11:35 pm

Programs: OW Emerald
Originally Posted by ridepow
I'm wondering if I can request ORC for the following situation:

Two separate tickets. Ticket A was a r/t award going RNO-LAX-ASE, ticket B was a r/t revenue ticket going RNO-PHX-SLC.

The return portion of ticket A was cancelled due to weather which effected the outbound of ticket B. So, AA cancelled the outbound of ticket B and left me the return. I ended up driving from ASE to SLC and will take the return portion of ticket B back to RNO.

SO--I'm wondering if I can request ORC for the outbound portion of ticket B (RNO-PHX-SLC)?
As they are separate tickets, I'd say everything about Ticket A can be disregarded. The relevant facts are that you had a r/t revenue ticket where you did not fly some segments due to weather, and the ticket wasn't partially refunded. Sounds like a legitimate ORC to me.

But to strictly answer your original question - can you "request ORC" - the answer is clearly yes. You can request it.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Possible to get Original Routing Credit on AA cancelled itinerary?

Flying MDT ORD PVG ORD MDT departing tomorrow. AA canceled MDT and is unable to rebook for same day departure. I am not sure I will make the trip as I will miss the meeting in PVG.

Is it possible AA will credit me the Original Routing Credit for the entire round trip? It is about 15k EQM.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Doubtful, especially if you get a refund for Trip In Vain.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
No ORC if you don't travel and get a refund for the ticket.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
AA routed me PHL DFW PVG and kept my SWA upgrade, even though there is no C availability dfw pvg- I am happy other than a three hour drive the PHL. Not sure why the first two MDT ORD flights have been cancelled tomorrow- hear it is because of weather concerns at ORD yet all the phl ord flights are still on track.

Oh well, instead of getting up at 5am I will get up at 1am and drive to PHL.

Thanks for the responses.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If the MDT aircraft are RJs, it could be the case that anticipated weather conditions are fine for mainline aircraft but not for small planes. Or AA could anticipate having to cancel some ORD arrivals and departures due to weather showing down how many flights can be handled there, so they picked flights from/to smaller outstations or regional partner operated flights.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 10:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
No ORC if you don't travel and get a refund for the ticket.
I've received an ORC when I didn't travel and received a refund. Flight was massively delayed due to the jet bridge hitting the plane door. Jumped on a Southwest flight. AA refunded my ticket and gave ORC.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 1:16 pm
Suspended

If your flight is cancelled and the airline puts you on another airline's flight, can you get miles from the other airline (on that airline's frequent flyer program)? Before you could but now several major airlines, like UA and DL and soon AA, credit miles based on the fare. How would a replacement flight be calculated?

Is it now a lost cause?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA Pl, KL Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
This topic has been moved to the AA forum from the BA forum, as it is probably better answered by those who are familiar with the AAdvantage programme than the BAEC programme.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
If the pax was put on KLM they don't fly direct from ZHR to LHR but would only do so via AMS. Did the PAX also fly KLM then from AMS to LAX? That would mean no flights were taken on BA at all. If that were the case I'm thinking BA wouldn't give any miles nor would AA.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
You'll need to ask for original routing mileage credit. I have this happen from time to time and you get to double dip, if it's another alliance.

Just call up AA Advantage CS and give them the breakdown of what happened and ask for the credit.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP / CK
ORC denied - new policy??

Is this a new policy? I was flying PVG-DFW-LAX and the PVG-LAX leg was cancelled due to mechanical. I was rebooked a couple times and ended up on PVG-LAX direct. Clearly I'd like the original routing credit as it's significantly longer (esp in J), and I actually spent $1k more than the direct expecting to get the miles. I wrote as soon as I landed and got this reply:

'Our records show that your flight was canceled for mechanical reasons and this is not something we take lightly. Safety is our first priority in these situations along with making repairs as quickly as possible.

We do not credit AAdvantageŽ mileage for segments that are not actually flown on American Airlines. Of course, we understand that AAdvantageŽ mileage is one reason customers specifically select certain American Airlines routings when scheduling their trips, and I am sorry your plans had to be changed.

Based on the information you have requested, I have determined that our AAdvantageŽ reservation personnel can better address your concerns. They can be reached at 1-800-882-8880 and are available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please have your flight details readily available to provide the representative.'

This is new to me - they ALWAYS credit ORC, even did for me as recently as December. I've called EXP reservations and they are clueless as to why it was denied and why reservations was referenced in the email. I'll call cust care tomorrow but this is a bit baffling...
Old Mar 9, 2016, 7:58 pm

Programs: American AAdvantage EXP, World of Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Rewards Titanium, MGM Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by maat777
Is this a new policy? I was flying PVG-DFW-LAX and the PVG-LAX leg was cancelled due to mechanical. I was rebooked a couple times and ended up on PVG-LAX direct. Clearly I'd like the original routing credit as it's significantly longer (esp in J), and I actually spent $1k more than the direct expecting to get the miles. I wrote as soon as I landed and got this reply:

'Our records show that your flight was canceled for mechanical reasons and this is not something we take lightly. Safety is our first priority in these situations along with making repairs as quickly as possible.

We do not credit AAdvantageŽ mileage for segments that are not actually flown on American Airlines. Of course, we understand that AAdvantageŽ mileage is one reason customers specifically select certain American Airlines routings when scheduling their trips, and I am sorry your plans had to be changed.

Based on the information you have requested, I have determined that our AAdvantageŽ reservation personnel can better address your concerns. They can be reached at 1-800-882-8880 and are available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Please have your flight details readily available to provide the representative.'

This is new to me - they ALWAYS credit ORC, even did for me as recently as December. I've called EXP reservations and they are clueless as to why it was denied and why reservations was referenced in the email. I'll call cust care tomorrow but this is a bit baffling...
I think you meant the PVG-DFW routing was cancelled.

Call AAdvantage Customer Service. They will likely do this over the phone right away for you. It sounds like your email simply got routed incorrectly or wasn't read fully.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:10 pm

Location: AA EXP & Life Plat; AA 4MM; TWA Life Plat; HH Diamond
FWIW, I received ORC just last week for a flight in Jan where I was rerouted due to an AA cancellation to BA JFK-LHR.
Old Mar 9, 2016, 8:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Generally, it's better to:

1) Ask the ground agents to annotate your PNR for ghe involuntary reroute, and

2) call when you've returned, stating you were involuntarily rerouted and are requesting ORC.

Writing is not suggested. HUAC is.

We'll merge this into the lengthy existing thread. /Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.