Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Experience using OLCI for Reciprocal Upgrades flying on 6.11?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat

I happen to be flying US tomorrow, and expert flyer is showing room in F.

Has anybody tried using OLCI today for flights departing tomorrow (6.11)?

The email said that the reciprocity kicks in on 6.11, so I'm keeping an eye on the clock and going to see what the website says at T-24.

(Apologies if this should have been under the main thread, but that seemed to be trending more philosophical, whereas this thread is meant to be more tactical.)
Old Jun 10, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Platinum Elite w/ Amb, UA Gold
Tried doing the OLCI for an AA ticketed and operated flight as a DM Chairman that I have at 6am tomorrow morning out of LGA. No option given to upgrade. ExpertFlyer showing F7 A7 P7, so presumably there is availability. Called AA reservations, EXP desk picked up, agent didn't even know US DM members were eligible for upgrades, so no help there. I read her the e-mail that I got on Monday, and her read, for what it was worth, was the "starting June 11th" language in the e-mail referred to the ability to start being able request upgrades, and the actual flights to be upgraded on would operate June 12th and beyond.

She also said that as a DM Chairman, I could request to be on an airport waitlist when checking in if I didn't get the upgrade. So, she was basically clueless. Nonetheless, no option was given to upgrade when I tried.

Anyone else have any different luck?
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver
I flew American PHX-DFW-OKC today and none of the GAs that I spoke to had any idea about the benefit. You would think they would at least have been briefed that the email was going out. I fly again Thursday so looking on how to upgrade for my AA flights.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 9:23 pm

Programs: 1K, Diamond
Same issue for a US flight tomorrow. No upgrade nor option to upgrade despite open seats in the front. US Airways phone rep had no clue about the change. I find it's generally helpful to inform staff about changes so they're not blinded by customers. ✈️💺
Old Jun 11, 2014, 4:35 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by ClassyFlyer
Tried doing the OLCI for an AA ticketed and operated flight as a DM Chairman that I have at 6am tomorrow morning out of LGA. No option given to upgrade. ExpertFlyer showing F7 A7 P7, so presumably there is availability. Called AA reservations, EXP desk picked up, agent didn't even know US DM members were eligible for upgrades, so no help there. I read her the e-mail that I got on Monday, and her read, for what it was worth, was the "starting June 11th" language in the e-mail referred to the ability to start being able request upgrades, and the actual flights to be upgraded on would operate June 12th and beyond.

She also said that as a DM Chairman, I could request to be on an airport waitlist when checking in if I didn't get the upgrade. So, she was basically clueless. Nonetheless, no option was given to upgrade when I tried.

Anyone else have any different luck?
AA upgrades come out of X inventory which EF does not show.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 6:39 am

I'm flying as AA PLT on US metal tomorrow, JAN-DCA-LGA. I checked in this morning for the first leg at exactly T-24, and was offered a $0 upgrade to F for the DCA-LGA leg.

I had trouble with the full US website (it tried to offer me F standby on the JAN segment, but that plane doesn't have F seats, and then the page crashed), so I switched to the iOS app and was able to confirm my F seat on the second segment.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 7:23 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by BSBD
I'm flying as AA PLT on US metal tomorrow, JAN-DCA-LGA. I checked in this morning for the first leg at exactly T-24, and was offered a $0 upgrade to F for the DCA-LGA leg.

I had trouble with the full US website (it tried to offer me F standby on the JAN segment, but that plane doesn't have F seats, and then the page crashed), so I switched to the iOS app and was able to confirm my F seat on the second segment.
I think you are saying you checked in 24 hours for your JAN flight and was offered the upgrade for the connecting DCA-LGA leg departing > 24 hours out. Is that correct? If so, that's good to know.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 8:24 am

Yes, that is correct.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 10:31 am

Have two flights tomorrow, ATL-CLT;CLT-MCO. Used online checkin via the mobile site using the iphone (the mobile site, not their app). I was offered to change my seat for $0. Here is snapshot

Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:04 am
SST

No upgrade option for me, despite seven F seats shown as available. No option to be placed on a standby-for-upgrade list. Spent :45 on hold calling USAir who said "nothing can be done. It is all online or at the gate" (clueless), and now if I want an upgrade I guess I have to get to the airport early (their suggestion) for my 6am flight. Sure I will.

Useless.

Wrote AA by email, more furious at US's clueless response than ever. So much for the marketing people and their grand Good News messages actually talking to the IT Department.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EP, AA AC
Originally Posted by SST
No upgrade option for me, despite seven F seats shown as available. No option to be placed on a standby-for-upgrade list. Spent :45 on hold calling USAir who said "nothing can be done. It is all online or at the gate" (clueless), and now if I want an upgrade I guess I have to get to the airport early (their suggestion) for my 6am flight. Sure I will.

Useless.

Wrote AA by email, more furious at US's clueless response than ever. So much for the marketing people and their grand Good News messages actually talking to the IT Department.
May not work but for poo and giggles, checkin and select a FC seat. See if that works. Upgrade at OLCI don't necessarily say choose you have an upgrade.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:16 pm

Programs: A3*G, US Silver, HH Gold, GHA Platinum
Originally Posted by GTITAN
May not work but for poo and giggles, checkin and select a FC seat. See if that works. Upgrade at OLCI don't necessarily say choose you have an upgrade.
^

This is how we do as USsilver. I'm curious to see if it works for AAs at OLCI.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:37 pm

Programs: 1K, Diamond
Quick update... logged back on today, picked 'change seats' and it offered the upgrade option.

Originally Posted by GreenTrees
Same issue for a US flight tomorrow. No upgrade nor option to upgrade despite open seats in the front. US Airways phone rep had no clue about the change. I find it's generally helpful to inform staff about changes so they're not blinded by customers. ✈️💺
Old Jun 11, 2014, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Update: F seats were available when I did OLCI yesterday, but not for free. I checked in anyway, may as well have my BP. Today I tried OLCI again, and low and behold, I can waitlist for F for my first flight, and get it for my second flight.

There are going to be a lot of growing pains with this merger (I'm still ticked about the loss of OW Explorer flights), but this is rather nice.
Old Jun 11, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by SST

Useless.
US agents have been told to not do upgrades over the phone since there was (is still?) a gap between when an elite upgrade window opened and when the automated system gave out upgrades. People could and were using that gap to call in and jump themselves ahead of other elites that had better standing for the upgrade.

Still doesn't sound like a great experience though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.