Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Carry-On Baggage Limits
Strict enforcement directive issued 28 August 2015)
American Airlines Carry-on baggage (link)

Q. Why is AA suddenly becoming so picky about sizing bags?

A. AA formulates carry on baggage policy that meets FAA criteria as well as airline established criteria; these are submitted to the FAA and if approved become the airline's policy. If the airline repeatedly violated their FAA-approved policy, they can be held accountable by the FAA. Recently, during an FAA audit, AA was found to be violating its FAA-approved carry on policy.

What can I carry on?

You can bring 1 carry-on bag and 1 personal item per person (exception: infants. Exception: some regional aircraft have insufficient bin space for otherwise "legal" bags, so carry-on bags might be limited, or even prohibited. If the latter, they will usually be "valet checked" airside and delivered at the jetway before you enter the gate area.

Carry-on bag

Your carry-on bag should be:
  • Up to 45 inches (22 x 14 x 9 in or 115 centimeters (23 x 36 x 56 cm) including handles and wheels
  • Able to fit comfortably into the sizer we’ve provided at the airport
  • Please note, you’ll also need to be able to lift your bag into the overhead bin
You can travel with horizontal rolling and/or hanging garment bags as your carry-on bag if:
  • They fit comfortably in the bag sizer
  • They measure up to 22" length x 14" width x 9" height or 115cm (56 x 36 x 23 cm)
You can also carry on a soft-sided garment bag of up to 51in or 130cm (length + width + height)

Personal item

Your personal item must be smaller than your carry-on, able to fit under the seat in front of you and can include:
  • A purse
  • A briefcase
  • A laptop bag
  • Similar items such as a tote
Additional allowed items

You can also bring:
  • Outerwear such as coats, wraps and hats
  • A book or newspaper
  • A small bag of food to eat on the flight
  • An approved safety seat for a lap or ticketed child
  • A pillow or blanket
  • An umbrella stroller for a lap or ticketed child
  • A diaper bag for a lap or ticketed child
  • Duty free items
  • Assistive devices (e.g. wheelchairs, walkers, portable oxygen concentrators, CPAP machines etc.)
  • Breast pump
Liquids and restricted items

TSA allows certain duty-free liquids through security in your carry-on bag if they’re properly packaged in a security tamper-evident bag (STEB). If you’re traveling with liquids or are unsure about any item, please contact the TSA.

For more, e.g. special items, etc. please use link
Originally Posted by alien
22 x 14 x 10

So today I took measurements of the sizer at my airport... There is obviously some slippage and subjectivity in the eye of (s)he who must be obeyed due to the open ended 1/4" lines outlining the baggage dimensions placed either horizontally or vertically. But, strictly speaking, the outside edge of the lines are 22' and 14". The depth is a definitive full 10 inches from the back board to the inner side of the metal tube running low laterally across the front of the sizer. This is the current sizer that I measured:

22 x 14 x 10

...We are given a 22 x 14 x 9 but there is some room to maneuver. We have 22" and 14" with a very subjective but limited amount of slippage. And there is definitely 10" of depth.

The subjectivity would be greatly reduced if the sizers were constructed, as Delta's, to form a full sided box.

Those on the margin should really test their bags in advance in all of the different positions to see which allows the most favorable view of its size if required to use the sizer at the gate.
See

AA e-mail to customer re: carry on baggage

and

Comparison of USA airlines carry-on limits Apr '25 by Outdoor Gear Lab

and

Airline carry on variances and the new IATA recommended standard

and

New IATA recommended standard vs. current common

[/CENTER]
Print Wikipost

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
You're allowed one bag that goes up top, one bag that goes under. If your two bags are both too big for under the seat, one gets checked. No garment bag fits within the 'under seat' allotment. Elite status / fare class does not allow for a bending of those rules and the GA was correct.

Yes, American is consistently inconsistent so every so often someone actually doing their job and enforcing the published rules can and does happen.
the garment bag fits fine under the seat, although arguably I wouldn't put it there. It wasn't really abag, just a suit on a hanger. Which definitely fits the 18x18 or whatever size requirement

Also it agrees with the wikipost on top.
either way it's not relevant, this is

Carry-on bag

Your carry-on bag should be:
  • Up to 45 inches (22 x 14 x 9 in or 115 centimeters (23 x 36 x 56 cm) including handles and wheels
  • Able to fit comfortably into the sizer we’ve provided at the airport
  • Please note, you’ll also need to be able to lift your bag into the overhead bin
You can travel with horizontal rolling and/or hanging garment bags as your carry-on bag if:
  • They fit comfortably in the bag sizer
  • They measure up to 22" length x 14" width x 9" height or 115cm (56 x 36 x 23 cm)
You can also carry on a soft-sided garment bag of up to 51in or 130cm (length + width + height)
​​​​​

Last edited by no2chem; Jun 28, 2019 at 11:38 am
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by no2chem
I'm not sure where this "one above/under rule comes from. Please don't way make up things, it makes you as bad as the GAs.

either way it's not relevant, this is
AA website states it and also gives dimensions for a personal item.

Your personal item like a purse or small handbag must fit under the seat in front of you. Dimensions should not exceed 18 x 14 x 8 inches (45 x 35 x 20 cm).
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...on-baggage.jsp
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by freeagent

AA website states it and also gives dimensions for a personal item.

Great, the suit certainly fits that requirement...
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:39 am

American's carry on baggage policy is 1 overhead + 1 under the seat. That's it. No if, ands or buts about it.

If you carry on two bags that fall under the "overhead" category, one gets checked.
Spanish likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA LT Gold
the garment bag fits fine under the seat, although arguably I wouldn't put it there.
Then? You were not going to store it under the seat, therefore you were treating it as an overhead bin item (and you had two of them, so only one was allowed).
The GA knows this (that nobody will put the garment bag under the seat) and she simply did not want to go into a senseless argument that the garment bag does not qualify as a "personal item".
The garment bag fully extended does not fit the personal item requirements. If I was the GA I would have asked you to fold your garment bag in 4 (becoming then personal item size) and then I would have allowed you in the plane. You wouldn't have done that.

Anyway, what are you going to do on your next trip? Argue again?
When I need to take a suit with me I either wear it or do this:
I've tried it and it really works well for me.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:35 pm

Is the rule that not only are you limited to a personal item with specified dimensions that will fit under a seat and a carry-on item with specified dimensions that will fit in a sizer and will fit in the overhead bin (all of which AA's web page clearly requires), but that you must actually store the personal item under the seat and the carry-on in the overhead bin?
Old Jun 28, 2019, 3:51 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
... it was more efficient to just wrinkle the suit for a minute by putting it in the roller bag, walk through the jet bridge and take it back out to hand to the FA to put in the garment compartment....
My roller bag came with a, "suiter," bag type thing. On the rare occasion I travel with a suit, I simply use that and put it inside the roller. I will sometimes touch it up with an iron when I get to where I'm going. Often just hanging it in the bathroom when I shower is enough to get rid of any wrinkles and have it look presentable.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by TheSkyGuy
American's carry on baggage policy is 1 overhead + 1 under the seat. That's it. No if, ands or buts about it.

If you carry on two bags that fall under the "overhead" category, one gets checked.
PLUS:Items permitted in addition to the one carry-on and one personal item:
Duty Free Items
Outer garments such as coats/wraps/hats/umbrella Pillow/blanket or Power Nap Sack Book or Newspaper Safety Seats - for lap or ticketed childUmbrella Stroller - for lap or ticketed child
Diaper Bag - for lap or ticketed child Breast milk Wheelchairs Scooters Crutches Canes Braces CPAP machines Portable Oxygen Concentrators Prosthetic devices on which the customer is dependentAny other assistive devices that a customer may need in flight such as: Medical supplies Medications Medical equipment (such as a breast pump)Equipment used by a service animal (e.g., harness, leash, vest), in conjunction with its work as a service animal Small bag of food intended for immediate consumption
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:58 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
I met the one agent who knows FAA regulations (or was she just lacking common sense?)

Since 20 years I travel in/to the US with the same gear: little TUMI suitcase that is in the limits imposed by airlines and (in some countries) regulators + a small and thin briefcase + on overnight trips my suit/jacket in a cover, with the hanger hook sticking out so I can hang it when there is a ward robe. All flights to/from US in international J or F class on various carriers, domestically always F class, 70% AA and the rest with mainly DL and a bit UA.

After 20 years I was for the first time approached by gate agents about my hand luggage, twice, on two subsequent days. Strange:
  • On ORD-DFW, gate agent said that I had three pieces, which was one too many. I explained that I'd hang my jacket in the wardrobe just like every other F class passenger, the fact that it has a thin cover over it shouldn't change that. No, one piece to many, I would have to gate check one. He gave me a little valet sticker, I put that on my suitcase, and left it at the aircraft door. Not a problem, got it back at the aircraft door upon arrival. All in all unexpected, but not an issue
  • A daly later, ABQ-PHX with an onward connex to LAX, gate agent said that I had three pieces, same response by me, but then: "you have to check one luggage to your final destination". Why I couldn't do the same thing as the day before and leave it and pick it up at the aircraft door? "FAA regulation, you can only take two items on board" - "But I am not taking three items on board, I leave one at the door" - "No, FAA regulation, I cannot let you enter the jetway with three pieces" - "OK, so check it, but after PHX I go to LAX and then on a different ticket and a different airline (LX) to Europe. Please check it all the way through to my final desintaion in Europe" - "Can't do that. You have to pick it up in LAX" - "But I may not have enough time if my flight into LAX gets delayed (which by the way it was, by 2 hours)" - "I will check your things, unless you consolidate three bags into two". So I ended up doing a pretty silly re-packaging which tested the seams and zips of my luggage (and made the suitcase go over the dimensions allowed for hand luggage), but they let me through. Just before stepping onboard, I unpacked things again into three different pieces, handed my hanger to the crew to put in the wardrobe, and stowed the suitcase in the overhead and the briefcase underneath the seat in front.
  • For the subsequent flight PHX-LAX, to avoid problems, I simply folded my jacket and its cover around the briefcase. Looked like an unaturally big cover for a jacket, but I supposed that gate agents were more interested in the number of pieces than what they looked like
  • For the record, my other flights those two days (HPN-ORD, DFW-ABQ) and the subsequent international flight from LAX - which I suppose also has to respect FAA rgulations - posed no problem for bringing my three "pieces" on board spearately
My questions:
  • Does a jacket count as an item of hand luggage when covered, even though it will end up taking the same space in the wardrobe as a non-covered jacked?
  • Why does the gate agent in ORD let me leave my valet-labelled bag by the aircraft door but the one in ABQ insisted on checking in to final destination and not allow leaving it at aircraft door?
  • Have all the hundreds of other gate agents and airlines who let me walk on board with my gear been in violation of FAA rules? What will the FAA do about that?
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That sounds like 3 pieces to me and 2 is the limit. One piece overhead + 1 piece under the seat

Checking the bag to final destination is correct. If you don't want an issue, just wear the coat rather than take it as luggage
KBMIFlyer and Often1 like this.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:32 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You tried to take three carry-ons onboard when the rules only permit two. You got caught.

The difference between "gate checking" and "valet checking" is that the former is the same as checking a bag at the coutner, e.g., the bag is checked to the final ticketed destination. The latter is a service on very small aircraft which do not have the capacity to handle standard carry-ons in the OH bins. In those situations, bags are dropped planeside (or in the jetway) and returned on arrival planeside (or in the jetway).

The bottom line is that AA has done a very good job lately of enforcing its own rules, thereby speeding up the boarding process and providing a better opportunity for all passengers to access the OH.

Yours is an easily resolved problem. Wear the jacket on boarding and then, depending on your cabin, have it hung by a FA or fold it neatly and place it on top of the carry-ons once boarding is close to complete.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:40 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
I was under the impression that a garment bag counts as a carry-on item. So perhaps place the suit carrier inside the suit, walk on the plane, and then place the suit back in the "cover" (garment bag, according to AA).

Seems like a simple solution to your issues.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
I saw this very scenario play out at DFW last Tuesday night, not my flight, but as I was wiaitng for my flight. Person had carry in, personal item, and garment bag. GAs would not let him board. He was having a fit but they insisted. Passenger tried to place garment bag in carry on but made it too big. I think (I was tired and connecting from Europe flight) that they made him check in the carry on. He was the last one on board.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
It's more than that. For example that you ought to research on your own, AA has also represented in places that the cabin bag's LHW dimensions must not exceed 45 linear inches in total but not said it must conform to fitting inside the sizer.

Does the Rimowa IATA 52 cabin trolley at 21.65 x 15.75 x 7.87 inches fit completely inside the sizer? That doesn't exceed the 45 linear inches, which has also been AA's cabin baggage legally represented -- at least in the recent past -- without a mention of it having to fit inside a sizer.
Actually, 21.65 + 15.75 + 7.87 = 45.27 inches, which does exceed 45 inches.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mvoight
Actually, 21.65 + 15.75 + 7.87 = 45.27 inches, which does exceed 45 inches.
Going back 5 years and over a thousand posts ago in this thread?

I am familiar with the math, with those numbers adding up to 45.27 inches. There was a reason why I used that particular example of a suitcase which marginally exceeded 45 linear inches by the advertised math for the suitcase but fit inside the 45 inch sizer.

Last edited by GUWonder; Aug 13, 2019 at 3:54 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.