Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Carry-On Baggage Limits
Strict enforcement directive issued 28 August 2015)
American Airlines Carry-on baggage (link)

Q. Why is AA suddenly becoming so picky about sizing bags?

A. AA formulates carry on baggage policy that meets FAA criteria as well as airline established criteria; these are submitted to the FAA and if approved become the airline's policy. If the airline repeatedly violated their FAA-approved policy, they can be held accountable by the FAA. Recently, during an FAA audit, AA was found to be violating its FAA-approved carry on policy.

What can I carry on?

You can bring 1 carry-on bag and 1 personal item per person (exception: infants. Exception: some regional aircraft have insufficient bin space for otherwise "legal" bags, so carry-on bags might be limited, or even prohibited. If the latter, they will usually be "valet checked" airside and delivered at the jetway before you enter the gate area.

Carry-on bag

Your carry-on bag should be:
  • Up to 45 inches (22 x 14 x 9 in or 115 centimeters (23 x 36 x 56 cm) including handles and wheels
  • Able to fit comfortably into the sizer we’ve provided at the airport
  • Please note, you’ll also need to be able to lift your bag into the overhead bin
You can travel with horizontal rolling and/or hanging garment bags as your carry-on bag if:
  • They fit comfortably in the bag sizer
  • They measure up to 22" length x 14" width x 9" height or 115cm (56 x 36 x 23 cm)
You can also carry on a soft-sided garment bag of up to 51in or 130cm (length + width + height)

Personal item

Your personal item must be smaller than your carry-on, able to fit under the seat in front of you and can include:
  • A purse
  • A briefcase
  • A laptop bag
  • Similar items such as a tote
Additional allowed items

You can also bring:
  • Outerwear such as coats, wraps and hats
  • A book or newspaper
  • A small bag of food to eat on the flight
  • An approved safety seat for a lap or ticketed child
  • A pillow or blanket
  • An umbrella stroller for a lap or ticketed child
  • A diaper bag for a lap or ticketed child
  • Duty free items
  • Assistive devices (e.g. wheelchairs, walkers, portable oxygen concentrators, CPAP machines etc.)
  • Breast pump
Liquids and restricted items

TSA allows certain duty-free liquids through security in your carry-on bag if they’re properly packaged in a security tamper-evident bag (STEB). If you’re traveling with liquids or are unsure about any item, please contact the TSA.

For more, e.g. special items, etc. please use link
Originally Posted by alien
22 x 14 x 10

So today I took measurements of the sizer at my airport... There is obviously some slippage and subjectivity in the eye of (s)he who must be obeyed due to the open ended 1/4" lines outlining the baggage dimensions placed either horizontally or vertically. But, strictly speaking, the outside edge of the lines are 22' and 14". The depth is a definitive full 10 inches from the back board to the inner side of the metal tube running low laterally across the front of the sizer. This is the current sizer that I measured:

22 x 14 x 10

...We are given a 22 x 14 x 9 but there is some room to maneuver. We have 22" and 14" with a very subjective but limited amount of slippage. And there is definitely 10" of depth.

The subjectivity would be greatly reduced if the sizers were constructed, as Delta's, to form a full sided box.

Those on the margin should really test their bags in advance in all of the different positions to see which allows the most favorable view of its size if required to use the sizer at the gate.
See

AA e-mail to customer re: carry on baggage

and

Comparison of USA airlines carry-on limits Apr '25 by Outdoor Gear Lab

and

Airline carry on variances and the new IATA recommended standard

and

New IATA recommended standard vs. current common

[/CENTER]
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2022, 5:58 pm

Continue feeding them
I'm sure the candy you give them is worth more than pathetic snacks they give to passengers..
Old Sep 16, 2022, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
Originally Posted by GWagonFlyer

I’ve never had this happen to me ever before but at the boarding pass scanner, the GA said that my bag wouldn’t fit in her checker even though the bag wasn’t tested yet and she made me take things out of the side pocket before I could test my bag in the checker. She was rude and I asked for her name. She said I’ll give you mine after I take a look at your boarding pass again to know your name.
Very less than ideal, to say the least. Tweeting in / writing a formal complaint is the way to go to paper it.

Something similar happened to my fiancée in January 2020 on LAX-JFK in F. Bag was legal, but the GA insisted on sizing it and taking things out of the front. I was convinced that they were salty that we were the last ones on (enjoying FFD) and really pushed for it to be checked to baggage claim (not even the gate) as they felt it wouldn’t fit in the bins...which makes little sense given the layout. Ultimately cooler heads prevailed (mine), but not the best way to treat your F pax, both of whom were paying for it.
Spiff likes this.

Last edited by ryanbriar; Sep 16, 2022 at 6:48 pm
Old Sep 17, 2022, 3:46 am

Programs: AA EXP DL Plat BONVOY LT Plat
send a written nore to customer service. If you can mention the employee name - please do.
every organization has C level people that need to be let go
Spiff and GWagonFlyer like this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 5:24 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
"First of all on most flights, I’m the guy who brings boxes of candy for the crew and GA’s as I know they are treated sometimes disrespectfully and it’s not always a joy to deal with unreasonable and unruly pax.

Today I was short on time and didn’t bring any…"

That'll Learn Ya!
Old Sep 17, 2022, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Humiliated?

How did she stop you from putting the bag in the checker, before taking stuff out?
If she wasn't telling you to get rid of the stuff taken out, it sounds like she was trying to make sure you could get the bag on
milesandmoremiles likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2022, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by ryanbriar
Something similar happened to my fiancée in January 2020 on LAX-JFK in F. Bag was legal, but the GA insisted on sizing it and taking things out of the front.
LAX did this for years, even going to the point of posting someone at the bottom of the escalator before you go up to the TSA checkpoint. If your bag looks bulky you get hassled. No sizer in sight.
ryanbriar and Antarius like this.
Old Oct 13, 2022, 9:50 am
Suspended

Programs: UA-*G, AA-Exec P, IHG-Gold, Bonvoy-Ambassador
She said to remove the items in the front since it won't fit in the checker the way it was... She wouldn't let us put the bag in the checker first
Old May 30, 2023, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA 1MM EXP, DL Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador (RIP SPG), Aeroplan 75K
A new first for me…rolled up to the gate during group nine boarding and had my bag taken despite being seated in F and available bin space when I got onboard!

The agent was pretty rude about it, to the point where her colleague was standing behind her shaking her head. I pointed out that bin space is generally protected in F and that: 1) this has never been an issue / can always just gate check if no space; 2) can it at least be gate checked versus to the carousel (negative). She noted that this is what I get for showing up late.

I’m assuming that this is an outlier situation, but word of advice for those coming on in the tail end of boarding despite being in F. Perhaps a policy change of sorts in the spirit of getting planes off the gate.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 8:42 am

Programs: wn
Carry on

How strict is American about size of carryon? Website says 22" tall but our including handle is 24". Haven't flown in a while but remember people bringing on really large stuff. Thanks
Old Jun 13, 2023, 8:48 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
Depends on the gate agent. Some are sticklers, some won't even look.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mbres
How strict is American about size of carryon? Website says 22" tall but our including handle is 24". Haven't flown in a while but remember people bringing on really large stuff. Thanks
They are not really strict although every now and then you'll come across a GA making folks put bags into the sizers before boarding. 50/50 really, all depends on if your bag "appears" big or not.

Old Jun 13, 2023, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
Recent experience is they are not that strict. There have been some reports of gate agents making you put bags in the sizers, but those seem to be the exception rather than the rule. A good rule of thumb if you are nervous about bag size is don't be the first one in line.
Old Jun 13, 2023, 9:11 am

Programs: wn
Thanks all!
Old Jun 13, 2023, 6:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Trying to avoid checking a bag on my upcoming JFK-LAX-SYD round-trip in Flagship First...anyone have any thoughts on how strict they are with enforcing the standard carry-on policy? I have a rollerboard and duffle bag that sits atop the rollerboard (via a sleeve that fits on the handle). I have an onward domestic flight on Virgin Australia on a separate ticket once I get to SYD and prefer not to deal with baggage claim, if at all possible. It is nice that AA offers so many free checked bags with a Flagship First ticket, but I would prefer them relaxing the carry-on policy to permit two carry-ons rather than the standard 1 carry-on and 1 personal item (I would even pay for the extra carry-on). I recently flew Turkish Biz Class MIA-IST-ICN and they were kind enough to allow me to bring aboard two carry-ons plus a backpack...might have been an anomaly, but considering the fare I paid for a J Class round-trip ticket to Seoul, it was nice to be treated a little more humanely, and there was still plenty of overhead space in the 77W for my two carry-ons (I kept my packback under my ottoman).

Thanks for sharing any experiences or advice!
Old Jul 27, 2023, 7:50 am

Programs: WN A-list Preferred and CP, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, RIP Kimpton
Anybody have experience with carrying on a long golf umbrella to store in the overhead bin? AA site doesn't specifically cover them.

I picked up a commemorative umbrella at The Open Championship this past week and want to bring it back to the states. When wrapped in it's storage sleeve it is roughly 36" long. For once, I don't have my golf clubs with me so I can't stash the umbrella in my golf travel case.

I've reached out to AA via twitter but no answer yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.