Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Carry-On Baggage Limits
Strict enforcement directive issued 28 August 2015)
American Airlines Carry-on baggage (link)

Q. Why is AA suddenly becoming so picky about sizing bags?

A. AA formulates carry on baggage policy that meets FAA criteria as well as airline established criteria; these are submitted to the FAA and if approved become the airline's policy. If the airline repeatedly violated their FAA-approved policy, they can be held accountable by the FAA. Recently, during an FAA audit, AA was found to be violating its FAA-approved carry on policy.

What can I carry on?

You can bring 1 carry-on bag and 1 personal item per person (exception: infants. Exception: some regional aircraft have insufficient bin space for otherwise "legal" bags, so carry-on bags might be limited, or even prohibited. If the latter, they will usually be "valet checked" airside and delivered at the jetway before you enter the gate area.

Carry-on bag

Your carry-on bag should be:
  • Up to 45 inches (22 x 14 x 9 in or 115 centimeters (23 x 36 x 56 cm) including handles and wheels
  • Able to fit comfortably into the sizer we’ve provided at the airport
  • Please note, you’ll also need to be able to lift your bag into the overhead bin
You can travel with horizontal rolling and/or hanging garment bags as your carry-on bag if:
  • They fit comfortably in the bag sizer
  • They measure up to 22" length x 14" width x 9" height or 115cm (56 x 36 x 23 cm)
You can also carry on a soft-sided garment bag of up to 51in or 130cm (length + width + height)

Personal item

Your personal item must be smaller than your carry-on, able to fit under the seat in front of you and can include:
  • A purse
  • A briefcase
  • A laptop bag
  • Similar items such as a tote
Additional allowed items

You can also bring:
  • Outerwear such as coats, wraps and hats
  • A book or newspaper
  • A small bag of food to eat on the flight
  • An approved safety seat for a lap or ticketed child
  • A pillow or blanket
  • An umbrella stroller for a lap or ticketed child
  • A diaper bag for a lap or ticketed child
  • Duty free items
  • Assistive devices (e.g. wheelchairs, walkers, portable oxygen concentrators, CPAP machines etc.)
  • Breast pump
Liquids and restricted items

TSA allows certain duty-free liquids through security in your carry-on bag if they’re properly packaged in a security tamper-evident bag (STEB). If you’re traveling with liquids or are unsure about any item, please contact the TSA.

For more, e.g. special items, etc. please use link
Originally Posted by alien
22 x 14 x 10

So today I took measurements of the sizer at my airport... There is obviously some slippage and subjectivity in the eye of (s)he who must be obeyed due to the open ended 1/4" lines outlining the baggage dimensions placed either horizontally or vertically. But, strictly speaking, the outside edge of the lines are 22' and 14". The depth is a definitive full 10 inches from the back board to the inner side of the metal tube running low laterally across the front of the sizer. This is the current sizer that I measured:

22 x 14 x 10

...We are given a 22 x 14 x 9 but there is some room to maneuver. We have 22" and 14" with a very subjective but limited amount of slippage. And there is definitely 10" of depth.

The subjectivity would be greatly reduced if the sizers were constructed, as Delta's, to form a full sided box.

Those on the margin should really test their bags in advance in all of the different positions to see which allows the most favorable view of its size if required to use the sizer at the gate.
See

AA e-mail to customer re: carry on baggage

and

Comparison of USA airlines carry-on limits Apr '25 by Outdoor Gear Lab

and

Airline carry on variances and the new IATA recommended standard

and

New IATA recommended standard vs. current common

[/CENTER]
Print Wikipost

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2020, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by MaximusDecimusMeridius
So my cabin bag is H:55 W:40 D:20cm. Which is 115cm. Is this allowable? The sum of the dimensions is same as the 56 x 36 x 23cm American Airlines state, but it is narrower and a little wider.
Technically, no. If you exceed any of dimensions you could be forced to check. However, in my experience when you are that close it is very, very unlikely that you would be forced to gate check. My rollaboard is an inch (2.5 cm) too large in each dimension and I've only been forced to check once in the last three years, and that was when it was over-stuffed. Of course, YMMV.
Old Aug 16, 2020, 2:51 pm

Can anyone please confirm if this information is correct? Am I allowed to bring these in addition to the personal item and carryon on a domestic flight:

Additional allowed items

You can also bring:
Outerwear such as coats, wraps and hats
A book or newspaper
A small bag of food to eat on the flight
An approved safety seat for a lap or ticketed child
A pillow or blanket
An umbrella stroller for a lap or ticketed child
A diaper bag for a lap or ticketed child
Duty free items
Assistive devices (e.g. wheelchairs, walkers, portable oxygen concentrators, CPAP machines etc.)
Breast pump
Old Aug 17, 2020, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by FlyingWhileHappy
Can anyone please confirm if this information is correct? Am I allowed to bring these in addition to the personal item and carryon on a domestic flight:

Additional allowed items

You can also bring:
Outerwear such as coats, wraps and hats
A book or newspaper
A small bag of food to eat on the flight
An approved safety seat for a lap or ticketed child
A pillow or blanket
An umbrella stroller for a lap or ticketed child
A diaper bag for a lap or ticketed child
Duty free items
Assistive devices (e.g. wheelchairs, walkers, portable oxygen concentrators, CPAP machines etc.)
Breast pump
Those are the old rules. The current rules are carryon and personal item, plus "Diaper bags (1 per child), soft-sided cooler bags with breast milk, child safety seats, strollers and medical or mobility devices", which "don’t count as your personal item or carry-on."
Old Aug 17, 2020, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ikwia
Those are the old rules. The current rules are carryon and personal item, plus "Diaper bags (1 per child), soft-sided cooler bags with breast milk, child safety seats, strollers and medical or mobility devices", which "don’t count as your personal item or carry-on."
Should post the AA doc for reference
https://www.aa.com.br/i18n/travel-in...on-baggage.jsp

While reviewing that I went to the linked page for Special Items and Sports Equipment
https://www.aa.com.br/i18n/travel-in...and-sports.jsp
One of the requirements for buying a seat for your "instrument"
"Is a bulkhead (divider) window seat (not in an Emergency Exit row)"
What is the purpose of having it in a bulkhead seat? is this so it doesn't take up a row with legroom, as it won't need any?
And, Mr DB Cooper if you are still out there, this one is for you
"1 parachute
Allowed as a carry-on provided the parachute and accessories meet carry-on size limitations and don't contain compressed gas cylinders or other such items considered as dangerous goods".
Unfortunately, AA has no more 727's back doors, for easy departure
Old Aug 19, 2020, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by mvoight
One of the requirements for buying a seat for your "instrument"
"Is a bulkhead (divider) window seat (not in an Emergency Exit row)"
What is the purpose of having it in a bulkhead seat? is this so it doesn't take up a row with legroom, as it won't need any?
Maybe so your cello doesn't whack someone on the head in the event of a sudden stop?
Old Mar 17, 2021, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
PSA carry on rules

Does PSA actually have a rule that says bags with wheels can't be taken onboard? First time I've had pleasure of flying PSA. Flown the others tons and never had an issue as my bag fits on CR9.

FA/pilot insisted they couldn't by company policy.
Old Mar 17, 2021, 11:18 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Does PSA actually have a rule that says bags with wheels can't be taken onboard? First time I've had pleasure of flying PSA. Flown the others tons and never had an issue as my bag fits on CR9.

FA/pilot insisted they couldn't by company policy.
Correct. PSA does not allow while other carriers like Skywest do allow.
Old Jun 17, 2021, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

carry-on bags policy

I understand that carry-on bags policy is one cabin-sized luggage and one personal item (i.e. backpack, etc.). However, what if you buy something at the airport (something like wine or souvenir) that requires packaging and one additional plastic bag, would that additional plastic bag count against the carry-on items? I mean, this would seem to be counter-productive for airport, cuz I am sure airport would encourage more passenger spending at airport shops, right?

I was at MCO today, traveling MCO-MIA-LAX, and I came to airport with one backpack and one cabin-sized luggage, but I end up buying some souvenirs at airport Disney store before boarding which means I am carrying one more plastic bag with a boxed souvenir (not something big, maybe roughly 2'x12'x12' dimension). The gate ticket-scanning agent stopped me and basically forced me to either squeeze my souvenir inside my backpack or gate-check my luggage (I do NOT want to gate-check my luggage cuz i want to spend some time checking out LAX's new mid-field concourse after I land at LAX)..... I am in First class on 737-MAX, so there is plenty of room in the overhead bin. I ended up throwing away the packaging boxes and just jammed my souvenir into my backpack. Interestingly, I was experimenting this rule during MIA transit by putting the same souvenir in the same plastic bag and carrying it at the gate along with my backpack and luggage, and the gate agent at MIA did NOT care at all that I had an additional plastic bag.

I mean, I understand the rule states one cabin-sized luggage and one personal item. But if the gate agent was so inflexible, would that actually discourage traveler spending money at airport gift shop? Was the gate agent at MCO just power-tripping or was I not supposed to spend money at airport gift shop?

I am curious if I was in the wrong or if I was unlucky that I got an inflexible gate agent? What is your experience like this in general?
Old Jun 17, 2021, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
I understand that carry-on bags policy is one cabin-sized luggage and one personal item (i.e. backpack, etc.). However, what if you buy something at the airport (something like wine or souvenir) that requires packaging and one additional plastic bag, would that additional plastic bag count against the carry-on items? I mean, this would seem to be counter-productive for airport, cuz I am sure airport would encourage more passenger spending at airport shops, right?
Yes, if you have a bag of souvenirs it counts as a carryon, although it may not always be enforced (just as some other carry ons miss enforcement from time to time), or over-enforced (I was once instructed to put my Fanny pack into my carry on, so even a small bag might be flagged). AFAIK the airlines don’t make any money from sales at airport shops so they don’t have any incentive to push or enable such sales, so I don’t think they see that souvenir bag any different than any other carryon they might decide to flag.

I’m not sure if airlines make any exceptions for duty free items purchased prior to an international trip.
Old Jun 18, 2021, 10:56 am

Some airlines (e.g. United) explicitly say food or merchandise purchased in the airport don't count towards the one-bag one-personal-item limit.

But AA's website appears to be silent on this issue.

Last edited by threeoh; Jun 18, 2021 at 11:02 am Reason: originally thought I was posting in the United forum
Old Jun 18, 2021, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by threeoh
delete
does this also apply to AA?
Old Jul 10, 2021, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Okay, this idiot policy of gate checking all bags with wheels on PSA is stupid. My bag fits perfectly fine in all CR7/9 aircraft with or without atmosphere, brought it and stored it overhead on my first leg. Second leg on the exact same aircraft (not type, I mean the exact same N number, I was on the inbound flight) told all bags with wheels aren’t permitted.

On the ramp when I explained I had the bag in the overhead on the same plane on the inbound flight I was told it was a weight & balance issue (which is a complete lie because no other -900 operator I’m aware of requires this on the basis of W&B, size maybe, but that isn’t the issue here). I guess PSA was in violation on my first flight. Someone is getting a complaint, either AA about the unfounded policy of their regional subsidiary or the DOT that my inbound flight was in violation of W&B requirements. I’ll let AA choose which one.
Old Jun 20, 2022, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Gold Elite, Lowly kettle across every other loyalty program.
My CLT-STL flight changed from mainline to PSA CR9. Are they still insisting that no wheeled luggage can be brought onboard? It's bad enough that this will force us to check an extra bag because it won't fit in a CR9 overhead, but all of our carry-on luggage has wheels, so we could end up with 6 bags to be checked, and medication dumped into plastic bags.
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:42 pm

Carry-on Rant!!

So FULLLLLL flight right now from MSP to CLT (2084). I have a Tumi international expandable and have NEVER had even the slightest question about it , even on small jets.. . until . . today . . please see if it fits the rack . . . nope, not gonna fit, however 70% of the bags on the plane are in the same spot.

I told them for the 100K loyalty points I have put up this year I have had no problem, then another poked his head in (Brandon) and said it should have been . . I suggested, politely that they were.

Rant over . . ..., they treat EXP this way?
Old Jul 26, 2022, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum/Million Miler, Marriott Titanium Elite-Lifetime, Hilton Gold
You've obviously not been through SEA much. The SEA gate agents are generally very strict about bags. The bag I had used for 15 years (yes, it was in rough shape but was a great bag) all of a sudden was an apparent problem. It always fit in the sizer without a problem, but I was getting tired of having to prove it on every trip. I gave up and just bought a smaller bag to avoid the issue altogether.

Last edited by USFlyerUS; Jul 26, 2022 at 1:07 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.