Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Carry-On Baggage Limits
Strict enforcement directive issued 28 August 2015)
American Airlines Carry-on baggage (link)

Q. Why is AA suddenly becoming so picky about sizing bags?

A. AA formulates carry on baggage policy that meets FAA criteria as well as airline established criteria; these are submitted to the FAA and if approved become the airline's policy. If the airline repeatedly violated their FAA-approved policy, they can be held accountable by the FAA. Recently, during an FAA audit, AA was found to be violating its FAA-approved carry on policy.

What can I carry on?

You can bring 1 carry-on bag and 1 personal item per person (exception: infants. Exception: some regional aircraft have insufficient bin space for otherwise "legal" bags, so carry-on bags might be limited, or even prohibited. If the latter, they will usually be "valet checked" airside and delivered at the jetway before you enter the gate area.

Carry-on bag

Your carry-on bag should be:
  • Up to 45 inches (22 x 14 x 9 in or 115 centimeters (23 x 36 x 56 cm) including handles and wheels
  • Able to fit comfortably into the sizer we’ve provided at the airport
  • Please note, you’ll also need to be able to lift your bag into the overhead bin
You can travel with horizontal rolling and/or hanging garment bags as your carry-on bag if:
  • They fit comfortably in the bag sizer
  • They measure up to 22" length x 14" width x 9" height or 115cm (56 x 36 x 23 cm)
You can also carry on a soft-sided garment bag of up to 51in or 130cm (length + width + height)

Personal item

Your personal item must be smaller than your carry-on, able to fit under the seat in front of you and can include:
  • A purse
  • A briefcase
  • A laptop bag
  • Similar items such as a tote
Additional allowed items

You can also bring:
  • Outerwear such as coats, wraps and hats
  • A book or newspaper
  • A small bag of food to eat on the flight
  • An approved safety seat for a lap or ticketed child
  • A pillow or blanket
  • An umbrella stroller for a lap or ticketed child
  • A diaper bag for a lap or ticketed child
  • Duty free items
  • Assistive devices (e.g. wheelchairs, walkers, portable oxygen concentrators, CPAP machines etc.)
  • Breast pump
Liquids and restricted items

TSA allows certain duty-free liquids through security in your carry-on bag if they’re properly packaged in a security tamper-evident bag (STEB). If you’re traveling with liquids or are unsure about any item, please contact the TSA.

For more, e.g. special items, etc. please use link
Originally Posted by alien
22 x 14 x 10

So today I took measurements of the sizer at my airport... There is obviously some slippage and subjectivity in the eye of (s)he who must be obeyed due to the open ended 1/4" lines outlining the baggage dimensions placed either horizontally or vertically. But, strictly speaking, the outside edge of the lines are 22' and 14". The depth is a definitive full 10 inches from the back board to the inner side of the metal tube running low laterally across the front of the sizer. This is the current sizer that I measured:

22 x 14 x 10

...We are given a 22 x 14 x 9 but there is some room to maneuver. We have 22" and 14" with a very subjective but limited amount of slippage. And there is definitely 10" of depth.

The subjectivity would be greatly reduced if the sizers were constructed, as Delta's, to form a full sided box.

Those on the margin should really test their bags in advance in all of the different positions to see which allows the most favorable view of its size if required to use the sizer at the gate.
See

AA e-mail to customer re: carry on baggage

and

Comparison of USA airlines carry-on limits Apr '25 by Outdoor Gear Lab

and

Airline carry on variances and the new IATA recommended standard

and

New IATA recommended standard vs. current common

[/CENTER]
Print Wikipost

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:34 am

Originally Posted by leighjohnwi
To give you a response that is more specific to you, I might ask for additional information. Do you have status, the AAdvantage card(s), or have you purchased MCE in advance?

In general, it completely depends on the gate agent, aircraft, and local baggage measuring "culture". I've had gate agents measure my bag as a first class passenger (that REALLY ticked me off), and other agents not even bother with ANY passengers...that element is hard to predict. I have traveled with the same sized overhead-compliant carry on for years, and can offer you this advice. If you are boarding in anything later than group 5, you run the risk of having the gate agents require you to gate check the bag, due to space filling up in the overhead bins. Group 6 on a full flight is when they generally get the news from the crew that space has run out.

I have no way to guess whether your carry-on will be sized by the agent...your described dimensions seem compliant. That entirely depends on the mood and need to assert their authority personality of the gate agent. I will say that some flights over others tend to have more passengers attempting to "push" the carry on limitations, but to my experience CLT-FCO is not one of them. Again, it all just depends on the GA that day. As I said above, I think the biggest factor you face is when you intend to board and what boarding group you will be assigned. If you are unsure of that, you might check the thread for AA boarding groups/procedure.

Best of luck!
Leighjohnwi

Thank you I do have an American Airlines advantage number however I just signed so I have 0 miles and presume that may not help me much :-(.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:47 am

Originally Posted by leighjohnwi
To give you a response that is more specific to you, I might ask for additional information. Do you have status, the AAdvantage card(s), or have you purchased MCE in advance?

In general, it completely depends on the gate agent, aircraft, and local baggage measuring "culture". I've had gate agents measure my bag as a first class passenger (that REALLY ticked me off), and other agents not even bother with ANY passengers...that element is hard to predict. I have traveled with the same sized overhead-compliant carry on for years, and can offer you this advice. If you are boarding in anything later than group 5, you run the risk of having the gate agents require you to gate check the bag, due to space filling up in the overhead bins. Group 6 on a full flight is when they generally get the news from the crew that space has run out.

I have no way to guess whether your carry-on will be sized by the agent...your described dimensions seem compliant. That entirely depends on the mood and need to assert their authority personality of the gate agent. I will say that some flights over others tend to have more passengers attempting to "push" the carry on limitations, but to my experience CLT-FCO is not one of them. Again, it all just depends on the GA that day. As I said above, I think the biggest factor you face is when you intend to board and what boarding group you will be assigned. If you are unsure of that, you might check the thread for AA boarding groups/procedure.

Best of luck!
Leighjohnwi

Also

IF your bag is gate checked do they usually put it in the aircraft right away?

Also say they make me gate check in Orlando but I’m connecting in North Carolina to Rome will my bag make it through my connecting flight to Rome?
Old Oct 7, 2019, 7:53 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Srodriguez
IF your bag is gate checked do they usually put it in the aircraft right away?
Also say they make me gate check in Orlando but I’m connecting in North Carolina to Rome will my bag make it through my connecting flight to Rome?
If your bag is gate checked then it will get a standard baggage tag through to the final destination on your ticket. It will be added to the other checked bags at the gate and transferred at any connecting points. You should be aware that on the smaller regional jets there is also a process called valet check in which your bag is hand loaded at the gate and returned to you at the arrival gate.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by MADPhil
If your bag is gate checked then it will get a standard baggage tag through to the final destination on your ticket. It will be added to the other checked bags at the gate and transferred at any connecting points. You should be aware that on the smaller regional jets there is also a process called valet check in which your bag is hand loaded at the gate and returned to you at the arrival gate.

Got it thank you also if they make you gate check can you take something out of the suitcase to bring with you on the plane? For example if I want to take out one of my packing cubes that has some of my clothes would I be able to take that out to bring with me on board along with my underseat bag?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Srodriguez
Got it thank you also if they make you gate check can you take something out of the suitcase to bring with you on the plane? For example if I want to take out one of my packing cubes that has some of my clothes would I be able to take that out to bring with me on board along with my underseat bag?
It's hard to be definite about that. If the racks are jammed full then they probably wouldn't but if it looks like something that would fit into a cranny they might. If you could persuade them that both items would fit under one seat then you would have a better chance.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by MADPhil
It's hard to be definite about that. If the racks are jammed full then they probably wouldn't but if it looks like something that would fit into a cranny they might. If you could persuade them that both items would fit under one seat then you would have a better chance.

Yea it’s like a medium size compression cube but I think it should fit under the bag that will go under the seat
Old Oct 8, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Just say the cube contains keys, travel documents, medicines, and personal items that cannot be checked. You know, the stuff they ask that you NOT check when they take your bag.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 4:13 pm

Stopped to check bag

So I have to say... I’m a bit Peeved by enforcement of this policy after an incident. I’m a pilot, I have this “Crew Bag” from Travel pro.

https://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/tr...inner-bag.html

it measures 21x14x9 an inch less on length. It’s also marked up with “CREW tags” .

im boarding Group 1 from ORD-LAX. I scan my boarding pass, and she says exactly “It LOOKS like your bag is too big for our policy. I’m going to have to check it.” I said “Uh no, and it’s not even nearly full or stressed”. She said “the front pocket looks too bulky.” I said “It’s a crew bag, and it fits just fine” then another gate agent gets involved and says and I quote “ Well then you should know it needs to fit in the mock up over there.” I said “ok, then let me show you....”

I bring the bag over put it in the slot both horizontally and vertically, and said “What’s the problem?” She says “It’s fine this time, but you as a crew member should know that we can visually decide on any passenger whether to let you carry it on or Check it. We have the final say...”

I’m sorry, but who died and made THAT a policy? I don’t re-call seeing that anywhere in the FAA audit report or the Gate Agents training manual....

I’ll be making a phone call on that one.
cmx likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by usafltg
So I have to say... I’m a bit Peeved by enforcement of this policy after an incident. I’m a pilot, I have this “Crew Bag” from Travel pro.

it measures 21x14x9 an inch less on length. It’s also marked up with “CREW tags” .

im boarding Group 1 from ORD-LAX. I scan my boarding pass, and she says exactly “It LOOKS like your bag is too big for our policy. I’m going to have to check it.” I said “Uh no, and it’s not even nearly full or stressed”. She said “the front pocket looks too bulky.” I said “It’s a crew bag, and it fits just fine” then another gate agent gets involved and says and I quote “ Well then you should know it needs to fit in the mock up over there.” I said “ok, then let me show you....”

I bring the bag over put it in the slot both horizontally and vertically, and said “What’s the problem?” She says “It’s fine this time, but you as a crew member should know that we can visually decide on any passenger whether to let you carry it on or Check it. We have the final say...”

I’m sorry, but who died and made THAT a policy? I don’t re-call seeing that anywhere in the FAA audit report or the Gate Agents training manual....

A power trip on steroids. If that’s how a pilot gets treated, imagine what economy passengers have to deal with. Ridiculous.
cmx likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 4:44 pm
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by usafltg

My condolences, but a number of these people seem to be getting too full of themselves. I've had similar things happen in Boston and also in DFW on Christmas morning when flying in F on an empty flight. The FAs on the plane at least apologized at DFW. Good luck with the phone call.
cmx likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Today in PHL they were flagging those with more than 2 bags and those whose carryon were expanded (2 inch zip). Even CK were stopped and told to consolidate before they could enter the jetway.
cmx and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 6:19 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by AA100k
A power trip on steroids. If that’s how a pilot gets treated, imagine what economy passengers have to deal with. Ridiculous.
Originally Posted by stc
My condolences, but a number of these people seem to be getting too full of themselves. I've had similar things happen in Boston and also in DFW on Christmas morning when flying in F on an empty flight. The FAs on the plane at least apologized at DFW. Good luck with the phone call.
This is my main concern, though I've not been faced with an issue yet. I have a 22x14x9 carryon that "looks" big as it's on the limit, but I make sure not to stuff it when I pack. It fits fine in the sizer, but I'm hoping nobody is unreasonable.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
On the heels of AA calling up the sizer gestapo, United memo indicates they are eliminating the sizer entirely from the gate.

Basically for the reasons many have argued here - it's stupid and needlessly leads to confrontation.
cmx likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 2:19 am

Interesting.
Here's an article about it:
https://onemileatatime.com/united-ai...es-bag-sizers/

Here’s the entire memo to employees, per @BrianSumers:
We’re removing bag sizers from our gate areas

As part of our continued efforts to empower employees and deliver a friendly experience for all, we are removing all gate area bag sizers by January 23. With this change, we will not be removing bag sizers from the lobby and security checkpoints, where we will seek to better identify and check many oversized bags, and we will continue to remind customers about our 1+1 carry-on bag rule in a variety of ways.

In the event an oversized bag makes its way from the lobby to the gate, we know that our customer service representatives can apply our core4 principles and make the best decisions for our customers in the moment. If a bag is oversized, please gate check it to its final destination per the normal process. If it looks like it fits, let it go. Use your best judgment. Do keep in mind that Basic Economy customers are still only allowed one personal item that fits underneath their seat.
Mr Sumers critices the move, but here is a further discussion which points out what has long been obvious to many of us: bag sizers are one-size, whereas airplane overhead bins are not:
https://liveandletsfly.boardingarea....aggage-sizers/
But the memo also includes pictures and a caption which states, “This bag is too big for our bag sizer, but fits into the airplane’s overhead bin and is compliant with FAA size rules. Let it go!”

United is no longer enforcing specific dimensional limits on carry-on bags, because 1.) overhead bins can accommodate larger carry-on bags and 2.) United is in the process of updating its carry-on bins to allow for even more storage.

At United’s Media Day last October, Toby Enqvist, United’s Chief Customer Officer, announced the installation of bigger overhead bins on more planes, with the goal of creating space so that every single passenger onboard can place a large carry-on bag in the overhead bin.

United will be updating its employee manual to “remove any reference to specific dimensions of bags” and will also be notifying flight attendants of the policy change.
While I have no doubt that the occasional power-happy gate agent will cause a problem, what I focus on here - and hope that we all use as a club to hit all the other airlines over the head with - is United's excellent move to increase overhead bin space and make sure that every passenger has room for one bag overhead!

Originally Posted by Antarius
On the heels of AA calling up the sizer gestapo, United memo indicates they are eliminating the sizer entirely from the gate.

Basically for the reasons many have argued here - it's stupid and needlessly leads to confrontation.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:28 am

Programs: BAEC, Ib+, Accor, HHonors
Quick question...

What happens if I have a multi-sector ticket, with a stopover of about 4h ... and my hand luggage is gate checked at origin. Can I claim it at the stopover airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.