Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 21, 2016, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
American Airlines Carry-On Baggage Limits
Strict enforcement directive issued 28 August 2015)
American Airlines Carry-on baggage (link)

Q. Why is AA suddenly becoming so picky about sizing bags?

A. AA formulates carry on baggage policy that meets FAA criteria as well as airline established criteria; these are submitted to the FAA and if approved become the airline's policy. If the airline repeatedly violated their FAA-approved policy, they can be held accountable by the FAA. Recently, during an FAA audit, AA was found to be violating its FAA-approved carry on policy.

What can I carry on?

You can bring 1 carry-on bag and 1 personal item per person (exception: infants. Exception: some regional aircraft have insufficient bin space for otherwise "legal" bags, so carry-on bags might be limited, or even prohibited. If the latter, they will usually be "valet checked" airside and delivered at the jetway before you enter the gate area.

Carry-on bag

Your carry-on bag should be:
  • Up to 45 inches (22 x 14 x 9 in or 115 centimeters (23 x 36 x 56 cm) including handles and wheels
  • Able to fit comfortably into the sizer we’ve provided at the airport
  • Please note, you’ll also need to be able to lift your bag into the overhead bin
You can travel with horizontal rolling and/or hanging garment bags as your carry-on bag if:
  • They fit comfortably in the bag sizer
  • They measure up to 22" length x 14" width x 9" height or 115cm (56 x 36 x 23 cm)
You can also carry on a soft-sided garment bag of up to 51in or 130cm (length + width + height)

Personal item

Your personal item must be smaller than your carry-on, able to fit under the seat in front of you and can include:
  • A purse
  • A briefcase
  • A laptop bag
  • Similar items such as a tote
Additional allowed items

You can also bring:
  • Outerwear such as coats, wraps and hats
  • A book or newspaper
  • A small bag of food to eat on the flight
  • An approved safety seat for a lap or ticketed child
  • A pillow or blanket
  • An umbrella stroller for a lap or ticketed child
  • A diaper bag for a lap or ticketed child
  • Duty free items
  • Assistive devices (e.g. wheelchairs, walkers, portable oxygen concentrators, CPAP machines etc.)
  • Breast pump
Liquids and restricted items

TSA allows certain duty-free liquids through security in your carry-on bag if they’re properly packaged in a security tamper-evident bag (STEB). If you’re traveling with liquids or are unsure about any item, please contact the TSA.

For more, e.g. special items, etc. please use link
Originally Posted by alien
22 x 14 x 10

So today I took measurements of the sizer at my airport... There is obviously some slippage and subjectivity in the eye of (s)he who must be obeyed due to the open ended 1/4" lines outlining the baggage dimensions placed either horizontally or vertically. But, strictly speaking, the outside edge of the lines are 22' and 14". The depth is a definitive full 10 inches from the back board to the inner side of the metal tube running low laterally across the front of the sizer. This is the current sizer that I measured:

22 x 14 x 10

...We are given a 22 x 14 x 9 but there is some room to maneuver. We have 22" and 14" with a very subjective but limited amount of slippage. And there is definitely 10" of depth.

The subjectivity would be greatly reduced if the sizers were constructed, as Delta's, to form a full sided box.

Those on the margin should really test their bags in advance in all of the different positions to see which allows the most favorable view of its size if required to use the sizer at the gate.
See

AA e-mail to customer re: carry on baggage

and

Comparison of USA airlines carry-on limits Apr '25 by Outdoor Gear Lab

and

Airline carry on variances and the new IATA recommended standard

and

New IATA recommended standard vs. current common

[/CENTER]
Print Wikipost

AA carry on / carryon baggage rules & enforcement (master thd)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 4, 2015, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Microwave
Those IATA size limits are redonculous.
Indeed. Here's hoping they are never, ever adopted.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 pm

Flew out of SEA Aug 26 and was unpleasantly surprised to find them enforce this policy when I had my carry-on, backpack and small shopping bag. My other bags were packed completely full, and they still made me check my carry on. I made the point that I don't mind following the rules, and of course they are doing their jobs by enforcing them, but in doing so they are the exception rather than the rule to which I and many others have become accustomed, and that the official rules should be consistently enforced across AA's network so as to avoid spats just like this. I guess Sir Doug took heed of my advice!

Last edited by vhrum; Sep 4, 2015 at 8:02 pm Reason: Minor additions
Old Sep 4, 2015, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Originally Posted by vhrum
Flew out of SEA Aug 26 and was unpleasantly surprised to find them enforce this policy when I had my carry-on, backpack and small shopping bag.
I just wear the backpack under my coat...

they say anything and I accused them of being anti-hunchback.

#hunchbacksHaveRights
Old Sep 5, 2015, 4:07 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
I just wear the backpack under my coat...

they say anything and I accused them of being anti-hunchback.

#hunchbacksHaveRights
I absolutely love this idea. It could get really fun with this bag.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 9:04 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
the official rules should be consistently enforced across AA's network so as to avoid spats just like this.
This is the "consistency" argument, and is often heard in reference to airport security screening. A recent ExpertFlyer survey on travel gripes listed "inconsistent security screening" as one option. Personally, I detest stupid, non-productive rules, and having them consistently enforced is even worse.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 11:46 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Maybe this will be a boon to SEV / SCOTTeVEST?

Old Sep 5, 2015, 3:26 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by JDiver
Maybe this will be a boon to SEV / SCOTTeVEST?
<redacted repeated image>

I have a Scottevest trench coat and really do use it like that sometimes. Well, I don't pack clothes or shoes in it but do use if for other extras that don't fit in my suitcase or personal item backpack. My coat really does become an extra (free) carry on! Once on the plane I remove the extra stuff from the pockets and put them in a tote bag that I stash under my seat along with my backpack.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 5, 2015 at 3:32 pm Reason: redacted repeated image
Old Sep 5, 2015, 3:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by TxTrav

<redacted repeated image>

I have a Scottevest trench coat and really do use it like that sometimes. Well, I don't pack clothes or shoes in it but do use if for other extras that don't fit in my suitcase or personal item backpack. My coat really does become an extra (free) carry on! Once on the plane I remove the extra stuff from the pockets and put them in a tote bag that I stash under my seat along with my backpack.
I've got a SEV jacket; it's a clothing item, so it's boardable beyind carry-on and personal item. I got a real hoot of the "x-ray view" of the trench with shirts and shoes!
Old Sep 5, 2015, 4:24 pm

I one of these bags, not sure exactly which

http://www.rimowa.com/en-us/topas-ca...ge/923.52.00.4
http://www.rimowa.com/en-us/topas-ca...ge/923.53.00.4

Since getting it about a year ago, I've carried it onto all of my AA flights without issue. But it is slightly larger than the guidelines, apparently, so I'm wondering if I'll have trouble getting it on now?
Old Sep 5, 2015, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by anabolism
Personally, I detest stupid, non-productive rules, and having them consistently enforced is even worse.
As do I, no doubt about it, but I'd rather know what I will be able to get through security or on the plane rather than risk having it confiscated or, even worse , having to wait at baggage claim for my bag, which I purchased with the knowledge that it supposedly fit the "standard" rules so I wouldn't have to ever check it.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 6:23 pm

Location: DCA's home, AA hubs and spokes are where you'll usually find me
Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by GloverParker
Please do report back -- my Briggs & Riley U122CX will attempt DCA and DFW on Tuesday.
In case anyone is wondering, the B&R U122CX (domestic circa 2013) fits comfortably in the RDU sizer -- it's packed for a 10 day trip (and I'm a female with lots shoes!) but closed easily . . . straining the zipper might result in a non-compliance situation. YMMV.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
I recently fly AA on several flights carrying a Red Oxx Rock Hopper bag that exactly matched my jacket in color and texture of fabric. I carried it as a shoulder bag and although it is a fairly obvious bag of medium size, I was not stopped from carrying it on.

I have done this same thing in the past with the same results. It seems to really pay to be subtle and clever.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by oldpenny16
I recently fly AA on several flights carrying a Red Oxx Rock Hopper bag that exactly matched my jacket in color and texture of fabric. I carried it as a shoulder bag and although it is a fairly obvious bag of medium size, I was not stopped from carrying it on.

I have done this same thing in the past with the same results. It seems to really pay to be subtle and clever.
Reminds me of when I entered security at (I believe) LAX, only to be stopped by the line guard - 1 checked and 1 personal item only, sir, or you have to check it. So I moved to the side and attached the small shopping bag I had with me to the strap of the Rimowa and positioned the luggage so the guard wouldn't see the bag.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
Flew out of SEA Aug 26 and was unpleasantly surprised to find them enforce this policy when I had my carry-on, backpack and small shopping bag.
This is a bigger problem than bags 1" wider than allowed: attempting to board with three bags.

I get that the shopping bag may have been created airside, and that both the backpack and the shopping bag may have fit under the seat in front - but the vast majority of 3 bag offenders put two (or three) in the bins in my experience.

FWIW, I boarded my E190 to BOS without challenge with my 14.5" wide bag on Friday 9/4 at PHL. Completely full flight, too, so another example of a situation where strict enforcement makes sense but was not applied.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 5:30 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I travel with two 15" x 8" x 8" bags (not IDENTICAL, but both the same size)--no sizer problems for these--could "they" force me to check BOTH, since there is NO smaller bag to place under the seat in front of me? [Nitpickers can be picky.]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.