Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Earning AA miles on Emirates and other airlines via Qantas codeshare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
N. B. Earning AAdvantage miles flying on EY and other non-oneworld operated flights as a QANTAS codeshare / marketed flight is an exception to oneworld rules that essentially state that to earn miles one must fly a oneworld marketed flight operated by a oneworld airline. See post #4 for more.

Earn elite-qualifying AAdvantage miles when you fly on Qantas marketed and operated flights as well as Qantas Airways codeshare flights. Exception for Jetstar operated flights which are ineligible. Link.

Simply:
  • Buy an eligible published fare ticket booked in an eligible code
  • Fly an eligible route
  • Specific flights, routes or cities that are excluded from earning miles or award travel are listed as exceptions if applicable.

To reiterate: one may earn AAdvantage miles flying an Emirates (or Air Fiji, Air Tahiti Nui, etc.) operated flight if it is marketed by QANTAS / a Qantas codeshare.

Exceptions to the exception
Qantas codeshare flights operated by Jetstar are ineligible for any AAdvantage mile accrual or elite credit.
Print Wikipost

Earning AA miles on Emirates and other airlines via Qantas codeshare?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP
FYI, recently flew SYD-AKL on an Emirates QF flight and earned full miles, points, etc...
Old Jun 3, 2017, 11:04 pm
nux
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by FAA1996
FYI, recently flew SYD-AKL on an Emirates QF flight and earned full miles, points, etc...
Which is as expected as per the wiki..
Old Feb 19, 2018, 12:29 am

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
It seems like the loophole isn't well understood at the ExecPlat desk. When asking about MEL-DXB-LHR on EK metal, QF flight number, QF ticket stock, the desk says no.

Of course you you could just not put a FF number on and try to claim ex post... just makes it harder in the DXB lounge!

Anyone else with recent success? Those EQM would go a looong way

Last edited by shuuy; Feb 19, 2018 at 3:07 am
Old May 13, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Is the wiki still current? Planning a flight on EK booking via QF website with QF codeshare flight numbers. Can I still credit to AAdvantage? Thanks!
Old May 13, 2019, 8:29 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
Is the wiki still current? Planning a flight on EK booking via QF website with QF codeshare flight numbers. Can I still credit to AAdvantage? Thanks!
Yes

I just double-checked the relevant page on aa,com
(https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nes/qantas.jsp)
JDiver and HofstraJet like this.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:58 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pandaperth
Yes

I just double-checked the relevant page on aa,com
(https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nes/qantas.jsp)
Thanks. I saw that but I trust the knowledge of the forum members here much more than the AA website, and I don't want to lose out on the earnings for this flight so I wanted a second opinion.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/*G. DL Gold for one more year.
I don't see the Emirates codeshares being mentioned as eligible on the Qantas earning page aa.com currently (the explicit exclusion of Jetstar codeshares is still there, without any mention of Emirates). Does that mean that the option of earning AAdvantage miles on EK-operated QF flights is gone?
Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Passmethesickbag
I don't see the Emirates codeshares being mentioned as eligible on the Qantas earning page aa.com currently (the explicit exclusion of Jetstar codeshares is still there, without any mention of Emirates). Does that mean that the option of earning AAdvantage miles on EK-operated QF flights is gone?
Noticed that as well, but have not been able to find the immediate old wording. (only the wiki)

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...nes/qantas.jsp
Our partnership with Qantas
Qantas connects you to more than 80 destinations in 20 countries from its hubs in Australia. When you fly on Qantas, you can earn and redeem AAdvantage® miles, plus, enjoy the benefits of your AAdvantage® status.
Earn miles
You can earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Qantas marketed and operated flights and Qantas codeshare flights operated by Qantas affiliate airline QantasLink, or other oneworld® carriers.
A missing comma? "Qantas codeshare flights ","operated by Qantas affiliate airline QantasLink, or other oneworld® carriers"

QantasLink flight are not codeshare. Just the regional flights/brand. Most Qantaslink are operated by 100% owned QF subsidiaries.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QantasLink

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 6, 2022 at 12:38 pm
Old May 6, 2022, 3:48 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Hi, I also want to check if this rule still applies? The wording seem to have shifted to: You can earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Qantas marketed and operated flights and Qantas codeshare flights operated by Qantas affiliate airline QantasLink, or other oneworld®carriers

Anybody still has done this successfully? I'm flying EK metal on a QF ticket and looking to either use my Avios or Aadvantage number.

I just checked with BA and if you read the website is says that it's possible, but the web chat agent and supervisor said you would NOT be able.

Last edited by kevinflyaway; May 6, 2022 at 5:21 am
Old May 6, 2022, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
Hi, I also want to check if this rule still applies? The wording seem to have shifted to: You can earn AAdvantage® miles when you fly on Qantas marketed and operated flights and Qantas codeshare flights operated by Qantas affiliate airline QantasLink, or other oneworld®carriers

Anybody still has done this successfully? I'm flying EK metal on a QF ticket and looking to either use my Avios or Aadvantage number.

I just checked with BA and if you read the website is says that it's possible, but the web chat agent and supervisor said you would NOT be able.
The wording only allows for QantasLink and One world carriers, so EK still won't qualify.

​​​​​​
Old May 6, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: AMEX Platinum, BA Gold, Flying Blue Platinum, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Antarius
The wording only allows for QantasLink and One world carriers, so EK still won't qualify.

​​​​​​
I just checked with BA and they do still allow this:

At a glance

• Included: Qantas, QantasLink and Jetconnect (QF).
  • Minimum Avios: no minimum.
  • Avios tier bonus? No.
  • Collect Tier Points? Yes (discount economy flights may earn fewer Tier Points depending on the fare purchased).
Executive Club Members can collect Avios on:
  • Flights marketed and operated by Qantas or Qantas Airlines affiliates under the QF designated code.
  • Flights marketed by Qantas but operated by Jetstar booked as oneworld fare in L class only.
  • Flights marketed by Qantas or Qantas Airlines affiliates and operated by Qantas, a Qantas affiliate, BA, another oneworld carrier, or another third party under a codeshare agreement.
Old May 6, 2022, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kevinflyaway
I just checked with BA and they do still allow this:

At a glance

• Included: Qantas, QantasLink and Jetconnect (QF).
  • Minimum Avios: no minimum.
  • Avios tier bonus? No.
  • Collect Tier Points? Yes (discount economy flights may earn fewer Tier Points depending on the fare purchased).
Executive Club Members can collect Avios on:
  • Flights marketed and operated by Qantas or Qantas Airlines affiliates under the QF designated code.
  • Flights marketed by Qantas but operated by Jetstar booked as oneworld fare in L class only.
  • Flights marketed by Qantas or Qantas Airlines affiliates and operated by Qantas, a Qantas affiliate, BA, another oneworld carrier, or another third party under a codeshare agreement.
Gotcha. I missed the part about BA.

From an AA standpoint, it doesn't count.
Old May 6, 2022, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The AA wording, or the commas, has had a subtle change. If the change is accidental or intentional unknown. AA freq flyers used to be able to get AA miles on QF marketed EK operated flights. The BA wording is more definitive.

Jetconnect (QF) the NZ domiciled airline company, 100% owned by QF AU, with NZ registered aircraft and NZ employed/contracted crew ceased to exist 30 March 2018. The aircraft were moved to the AU aircraft register.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 1:23 am

Programs: AA
So has anyone done this? Is it still possible to earn AA miles on Qantas codeshare flights operated by Emirates?
Old Nov 29, 2022, 7:30 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Was there a change this summer that updated the ability to earn AA status points on EK? After all this work finding the perfect flight to BLR on QR, work requires we fly EK (JFK-DXB-BLR) and HYD on the return. Currently marketed EK only though I haven't done an exhaustive search to see if BA or QF apply. Anyone know how to get AA points flying EK in J on any part of that segment?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.