Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200k EQP/EQM - what next?]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200K EQP/EQM]

Executive Platinum AAdvantage members with 150,000 and 200,000 EQ Miles will automatically receive two extra SWU / Systemwide Upgrades (two at 150,000 EQM and at 200,000 EQM thereafter, earned in the same calendar year).

If you think you are eligible and have not received them, call AAdvantage Customer Service:

AAdvantage Customer Service
Have questions about your AAdvantage account or program benefits?
Call us
Within the U.S. or Canada
800-882-8880 or your elite reservation number

Monday - Friday.
8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. CT

817-963-7882 (fax)
Note that re/qualifying in 2016 and onward earns four (4) SWU; two SWU at 150k and 200k EQM. Passing 250,000 EQM generally earns no more SWU, but particularly high value flyers and CK might get additional SWU by requesting them. This is possible, not probable.

Rumor: new elite level(s) and low-fare product details coming
Print Wikipost

SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200k EQP/EQM - what next?]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
i suspect after a hilarious amount of EQPs, if your'e getting 100k points ever 3 months, 400k points a year would be enough to get them to consider giving you CK status.
Well, I did ask (twice, and appealed) and was denied. The real advantage of CK for me (and was the basis of my request) is that they would let CK'ers get on the plane before everybody else. Helped me to get choice luggage stowage.

Also would help on connection problems. I pointed out that us Bay Area flyers had known better days (nostalgic hub days of SJC) and now we have to do tons of connections to stay loyal out of SFO (can't even get to Hawaii non-stop). A major area to get CK help, one would think.

Didn't matter. Was denied anyway. So I felt lesser love.

If there was an ELTA for 2014 I guess I missed it. Will have to try harder. For now, it was a big effort for me to make Diamond on Delta. Never thought I'd do it. As for UA---(even as a 1K)---I watched too many times where a 1K upgrade would vanish because they sold it out to someone of lesser/no status for cheap at the last minute. Love for UA vanished years ago.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FullFare
...If there was an ELTA for 2014 I guess I missed it. Will have to try harder.
There was no ELTA in 2014, but there was this:
I apologize because I looked back at my post and figured that I misled folks. What the AAdvantage customer service lady said was that there was a scenario by which, if an already qualified EXP flew yet another 100k eqp (totaling, now, 200 eqp in the year) that that would result in another 8 evip's coming that customer's way. So she seemed to be telling me that flying another 100k eqp had a reward as just described.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Well, I did ask (twice, and appealed) and was denied. The real advantage of CK for me (and was the basis of my request) is that they would let CK'ers get on the plane before everybody else. Helped me to get choice luggage stowage.
Real advantage for CK is luggage stowage? You are doing 100K EQP by March, that means you are EXP & are flying full fare coach (with upgrade possibilities) and or business/first. You are already one of the first to board and get luggage stowage. What am I missing?
Old Jun 29, 2015, 4:06 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Merged with existing thread discussing potential perqs for exceeding EXP threshold. Thanks. /Moderator
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by AtlanticX
And, small consolation, all the miles add to your MM status.

Also, from the airlines perspective: they don't have much incentive to give you more incentive: you're already one of their most frequent customers... they're clearly already providing a service of serious interest to you. They're not under particular pressure to sweeten the deal further for somebody who's already bought that much into their product.
They just might have incentive if they knew another carrier had a perk/incentive available in a competing scenario that would entice me, or others, to fly over the max threshold. UA and DL seem to have that. They have managed to incentivize me with that.

Accordingly, I simply quit flying AA after the end of March once I hit the 100k EQP. It happens that way now every year. Then it's on to other carriers for the rest of the year, since AA's non-stop opportunities out of the Bay Area were cut back years ago anyway (and I'm not that loyal that I will do unnecessary connections).

The added miles from AA are of no more incremental consolation than they are for any of the other carriers I give my business to. I make top tier now on all 3. UA and DL have a better incentive beyond their top tier.

Currently sitting on 16 EVP's. I give 'em to grandkids and employees.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlanticX

And, small consolation, all the miles add to your MM status.

Also, from the airlines perspective: they don't have much incentive to give you more incentive: you're already one of their most frequent customers... they're clearly already providing a service of serious interest to you. They're not under particular pressure to sweeten the deal further for somebody who's already bought that much into their product.

They just might have incentive if they knew another carrier had a perk/incentive available in a competing scenario that would entice me, or others, to fly over the max threshold. UA and DL seem to have that. They have managed to incentivize me with that.

Accordingly, I simply quit flying AA after the end of March once I hit the 100k EQP. It happens that way now every year. Then it's on to other carriers for the rest of the year, since AA's non-stop opportunities out of the Bay Area were cut back years ago anyway (and I'm not that loyal that I will do unnecessary connections).

The added miles from AA are of no more incremental consolation than they are for any of the other carriers I give my business to. I make top tier now on all 3. UA and DL have a better incentive beyond their top tier.

Currently sitting on 16 EVP's. I give 'em to grandkids and employees.
I'm with you, just booked 2 GAP fares at DL since they were less expensive than AA. Just received my ExP kit and am good through 2/17. I'm sitting on 16 SWUs as well. Might as well take the less expensive flights and score top status elsewhere since you never what's coming. Hey, I'm an American (pun intended) and more is always better so 2 is better than 1, lol...
Old Jun 29, 2015, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by arollins
Real advantage for CK is luggage stowage? You are doing 100K EQP by March, that means you are EXP & are flying full fare coach (with upgrade possibilities) and or business/first. You are already one of the first to board and get luggage stowage. What am I missing?
No, you're not missing anything. It's unique to me. I am just about always in F cabin (well, really always) and don't like to be in the gate-rushing crowd that is always there. Not my style.

Another thing is that my wife absolutely has to have the bulkhead---or, rather---not having some body reclining into her lap. It drives her nuts. So, we always pick the bulkhead (for the record, AA's ubiquitous 737-800's aren't that bad for F class recline issues. If you really want recline problems in F, it is a huge problem on DL. UA is bad, too, especially on its 777's to Hawaii).

I am not of the inclination to be one of those at the gate, rushing to get on. In truth, it is uncommon for me to have to fight to put my stuff in the overhead as a row 1 customer, but I have had some tense one's when I was making a connection and not fighting my way to the head of the line.

Back to reality: It would gall me to watch them call out the names of CK customers to put them on board first mainly because I thought, over all the years, that I had bought full fare tickets (My handle) without upgrades that I would be worthy of being a "CK". Especially since I bought similar tickets for my spouse (who also made EXP), I thought I was quite possibly a "big spend". Guess not.

So I asked. Twice. Wrote all the way up to Maya. (The whole world said it was KOD (kiss of death) to do that). Was denied. It didn't destroy my self esteem; just reminded me that business is business.

Frankly, I believe how they award this CK thing is capricious. If they told me the necessary items to reach the goal (CK), and had some transparency about it, I'd nail it. Bet on that. They did go out of their way to tell me that being EXP was just about worthless in their decision. So it's not just total dollars and cents, I think.

I think they want you to buy a lot of over-priced tix (probably consistently), like UA does in their GS, rather than being a plodder buying tix of better value, even if you are a really big spend over the big haul. AA has not gotten into the "total spend" arena a criterion for assigning top elite status the way UA and DL have, I believe (yet). If they do, CK may become less counterintuitive to my understanding of how they do that.

Not the greatest answer to your query, but thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 12:16 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I know I'm sort of counting my chickens before they hatch, but I will be making EXP in the next 10 days or so, and have about ~50,000 miles to fly for the year that I haven't booked yet, and about 20k on the books. I can get passed 150EQP this year, but is it worth it? FWIW this is my first year in the program, so I don't know if that helps or hurts me since up thread it seems like your history with AA has some bearing on how things go. If I end up in the 155EQP neighborhood do you think I could expect anything extra. Looking at my normal fare class I am usually a "Q" class flyer, so I know I am not the HVF they are looking for. My biggest spend this year was on JL and a last minute BA ticket, so not much help there. What do you guys think could happen to me? Should I look at shifting some flying toward another alliance? Thanks for all the help.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
I know I'm sort of counting my chickens before they hatch, but I will be making EXP in the next 10 days or so, and have about ~50,000 miles to fly for the year that I haven't booked yet, and about 20k on the books. I can get passed 150EQP this year, but is it worth it? FWIW this is my first year in the program, so I don't know if that helps or hurts me since up thread it seems like your history with AA has some bearing on how things go. If I end up in the 155EQP neighborhood do you think I could expect anything extra. Looking at my normal fare class I am usually a "Q" class flyer, so I know I am not the HVF they are looking for. My biggest spend this year was on JL and a last minute BA ticket, so not much help there. What do you guys think could happen to me? Should I look at shifting some flying toward another alliance? Thanks for all the help.
Definitely do not plan on anything beyond the published benefits of EXP.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
AA may or may not offer any special bonuses for those going over the basic tiers. As I recall from years past there hasn't been anything spectacular that really warranted going out of my way to fly. However, being able to use those additional miles for personal trips, gifts, or special buys is the reward I would be looking at.

If you get more joy out of the hunt, then by all means go for another program. Personally, I used my excess miles to extend my AC membership after I stopped working. And buying 500-mile stickers allowed me to upgrade flights that I wouldn't have upgraded otherwise. You get to set the value of your miles as you see fit. Fighting to get the most value based upon dollars will just leave you disappointed (especially when devaluation occurs). So enjoy your hard-earned benefits in ways that make you happy.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:59 am

Decided to write to AA CS and got the following reply a few minutes ago. Figured I'd share.
Second paragraph, the rep states that new qualification for EXP is 120K EQM/P??

"Hello Nyczreklis,

It's our pleasure to assist our valued AAdvantage Executive Platinum®
members. Thanks for contacting us here at AAdvantage® Customer Service.

Please know that the new qualification for Executive Platinum status is
now at 120,000 Elite Qualifying Miles/Points in a calendar year.

If you earn a total of at least 175,000 elite points by year-end, I will
add 6 more systemwide upgrades into your account. I am hopeful you can
achieve this goal since you are currently at 150,895 elite points.

Now, I'll have to ask you to contact us again when you earn 175,000
elite points, since the adjustment won't happen automatically. But I'm
documenting my promise in your account so you won't have any problem in
receiving these complimentary upgrades when you reach this goal. You are
truly a special customer and we're very pleased for the opportunity to
earn your satisfaction.

Thank you for participating in the AAdvantage program. We appreciate
your business.

Regards,

J.
AAdvantage Customer Service
American Airlines"
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by nyczreklis

Someone just let the cat out of the bag! Start planning for 2016 accordingly.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by justforfun
Someone just let the cat out of the bag! Start planning for 2016 accordingly.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:14 am
Suspended

Keep in mind that that 175k EQPs threshold for additional
SWUs-- if history is any indication-- is NOT universal, it's member-specific. So, if one plans on trying to reach that in hopes of getting extra SWUs, get it in writing for your specific account.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:18 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by AA e-mail
Much more tolerable than what UA and DL have on the table if that's the ultimate direction we're going. Not a lot of leisure flyers will do 120K a year to retain status (me being the exception- over 130K booked through year end with more possible). Too bad we don't have an AA rep on this forum to confirm this is not a typo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.