Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200k EQP/EQM - what next?]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200K EQP/EQM]

Executive Platinum AAdvantage members with 150,000 and 200,000 EQ Miles will automatically receive two extra SWU / Systemwide Upgrades (two at 150,000 EQM and at 200,000 EQM thereafter, earned in the same calendar year).

If you think you are eligible and have not received them, call AAdvantage Customer Service:

AAdvantage Customer Service
Have questions about your AAdvantage account or program benefits?
Call us
Within the U.S. or Canada
800-882-8880 or your elite reservation number

Monday - Friday.
8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. CT

817-963-7882 (fax)
Note that re/qualifying in 2016 and onward earns four (4) SWU; two SWU at 150k and 200k EQM. Passing 250,000 EQM generally earns no more SWU, but particularly high value flyers and CK might get additional SWU by requesting them. This is possible, not probable.

Rumor: new elite level(s) and low-fare product details coming
Print Wikipost

SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200k EQP/EQM - what next?]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 5:39 am

Programs: AA CK, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by oysterhead43
Wow that's a boatload of flying. Not sure whether to be jealous of the EQMs or sympathetic to your travel requirements.
Those that haven't done that much travel are usually jealous, but when a coworker occasionally joins me for a week, they take it all back.

The irony of course is that when I'm not traveling for business, all those miles are then used for long haul trips with the wife to e.g. Hong Kong.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by jordyn
Wow, that's lame. So instead of being a way of formalizing the system of getting additional SWUs they have in the past, really it's just a backdoor way of making it twice as hard to get the same number of SWUs as we got last year with no real upside at all.

Feeling really good about my decision to stop spending money on AA after August this year. Status on another airline seems a lot more valuable than "overachieving" on AA.
That's one way of looking at it. Another is that in 2017, there will be many fewer SWUs issued, which should make it much easier to get an upgrade. So whilst you may only have 4, you may be able to use them better.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: AA EXP and 1MM, UA 1K, HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by jmappleby
That's one way of looking at it. Another is that in 2017, there will be many fewer SWUs issued, which should make it much easier to get an upgrade. So whilst you may only have 4, you may be able to use them better.
I appreciate the optimism but do not share your hope.

I would prefer to get some "guaranteed" upgrades, similar to what is offered by BA for their top tier, than having many SWUs that have little value to me.

For BA members that qualify for Gold Guest List (GGL)' which is a an upper subset of Gold (their Emerald Tier), BA offers: A twice per membership year redemption for up to 5 people (i.e. member and up to 4 others) booked into revenue classes (A, D, T, B) rather than award classes. Such GGL redemptions are known in some quarters as Jokers. To qualify for GGL you have to earn over three times the requirement for Gold, but it is a clearly stated benefit that their best customers can strive for.

I have considered moving to the BA Avios program specifically for this benefit which would be of GREAT value to me.

They offer "upgrade certificates' similar to SWUs when you reach Gold.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by DevilDawg1960
I appreciate the optimism but do not share your hope.

I would prefer to get some "guaranteed" upgrades, similar to what is offered by BA for their top tier, than having many SWUs that have little value to me.

For BA members that qualify for Gold Guest List (GGL)' which is a an upper subset of Gold (their Emerald Tier), BA offers: A twice per membership year redemption for up to 5 people (i.e. member and up to 4 others) booked into revenue classes (A, D, T, B) rather than award classes. Such GGL redemptions are known in some quarters as Jokers. To qualify for GGL you have to earn over three times the requirement for Gold, but it is a clearly stated benefit that their best customers can strive for.

I have considered moving to the BA Avios program specifically for this benefit which would be of GREAT value to me.

They offer "upgrade certificates' similar to SWUs when you reach Gold.
I totally agree that AA (and other US airlines) could learn something from BA's treatment of very frequent flyers. @jonnyc has alluded to something coming for CY17 a few times.

Still, I maintain fewer SWUs in circulation should make them easier to redeem, with everything else being equal. AA are more generous with SWUs than BAEC is with the "upgrade certificate".
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: CX Diamond, AA CK (quit 2018), Starwood Platinum, National EXC Elite
[QUOTE=jmappleby;27235292] I totally agree that AA (and other US airlines) could learn something from BA's treatment of very frequent flyers. @jonnyc has alluded to something coming for CY17 a few times.

Absolutely. A $55-60k spend EXP, 350k EQM flyer should not be treated the same as a $12k 100k mile flyer. There needs to be some differentiation, that is transparent. SWU's are not a reward for a J flyer. And, personally I prefer J to F anyway on the 77W.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: UA 1K
I hit 150k EQM and two additional SWUs were credited immediately, same night.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I am at 225k EQM for the year and have stopped flying AA/oneworld completely until early 2017 because of this limitation. I understand that some people are getting exceptions because they are big spenders, but the rest of us are pushed away. This is the kind of penny-wise, pound-foolish decision that is confusing.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
I am at 225k EQM for the year and have stopped flying AA/oneworld completely until early 2017 because of this limitation. I understand that some people are getting exceptions because they are big spenders, but the rest of us are pushed away. This is the kind of penny-wise, pound-foolish decision that is confusing.
Very interesting. I have not heard that. Can you share where have you heard that some people are getting exceptions and what they are getting? Thanks
Old Sep 27, 2016, 1:29 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by DevilDawg1960
Very interesting. I have not heard that. Can you share where have you heard that some people are getting exceptions and what they are getting? Thanks
I'd be quite curious as well.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
AA is not pushing you away as much as you are running away. Just because the brass ring shute is not working is not a good reason to get off the merry-go-round. If you're only flying AA for the future benefits you might be able to secure is not a reason to give up the benefits you've earned by flying AA.

Of course, everyone needs to decide for themselves what's important. Personally, not getting the extra SWUs is not an issue for me.
Old Sep 27, 2016, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408
AA is not pushing you away as much as you are running away. Just because the brass ring shute is not working is not a good reason to get off the merry-go-round. If you're only flying AA for the future benefits you might be able to secure is not a reason to give up the benefits you've earned by flying AA.
Presumably people that hit 225K+ EQMs mid-year will have no problem getting status on another airline as well. Since EXP is not particularly more attractive than most other airline's top tier status at this point (and I think it's quite obviously worse than some of the competition), you're not really giving anything up by flying another airline that you also have top status on.

As for the notion that SWUs are somehow going to become easier to use, for me they're very low value if they can't be confirmed at booking time. So unless AA starts releasing a lot more C inventory in advance rather than waiting until the last minute as they seem to be mostly doing these days, the theoretically improved chance of a battlefield upgrade is hardly going to offset the fact that they've cut the benefit in half.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 10:43 am

Originally Posted by jordyn
... As for the notion that SWUs are somehow going to become easier to use, for me they're very low value if they can't be confirmed at booking time. So unless AA starts releasing a lot more C inventory in advance rather than waiting until the last minute as they seem to be mostly doing these days, the theoretically improved chance of a battlefield upgrade is hardly going to offset the fact that they've cut the benefit in half.
I could not agree more.

I let 4 SWUs expire this February (I know I should have given them away).

I have 11 SWUs expiring Feb 28 2017 that I am giving away to friends and colleagues. I have only been able to use 3 this year to upgrade from J to F on TPAC flights. Looked at using 4 for a vacation trip for me and Mrs DevilDawg1960 and ended up giving up. Even with great flexibility (timing and location) could not get anything to work.

Since I won't gamble on a battlefield upgrade, I am only using them to go from J to F and there are not many opportunities for this. I will make sure that I give away what I cannot use so they do have value in that way.

You might ask "why is he fighting for more SWUs if he cannot use them?" and I would have to admit that I do not have a good answer. Maybe it is because I am competitive and more is better. I am also beginning to embrace the concept of giving them to others so they can have a better experience.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 2:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I think you understand incorrectly. I know people with CK and lots of premium spend who have not received SWU beyond 200,000 EQM, 300,000 EQM and more.

Sometime next year, the challenges will be greater: not only will SWU clear by amount of EQD spend within each status tier, Premium Economy is quite possibly going to be the upgrade path from Main Cabin / MCE on ircraft that have it just as it is on other oneworld carriers currently, and one will have to purchase PEY to potentially upgrade to Business.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 3:43 am

Update on this, I received 2 SWUs for hitting 250k, and 2 more for CK, bringing me to a total of 12 this year.

Interestingly... the system has expired 4 of them, which has brought the total back down to 8.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by jmappleby
Update on this, I received 2 SWUs for hitting 250k, and 2 more for CK, bringing me to a total of 12 this year.

Interestingly... the system has expired 4 of them, which has brought the total back down to 8.
So.. do we get 2 extra SWUs for hitting 250k EQM, or is this discretionary based on spend? Did you have to call in? Has anyone else had any experience? Deciding whether I should put my next 100k mi of flying for the rest of the year on UA to match and maintain 1K or to just stick with AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.