Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200k EQP/EQM - what next?]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 27, 2015, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200K EQP/EQM]

Executive Platinum AAdvantage members with 150,000 and 200,000 EQ Miles will automatically receive two extra SWU / Systemwide Upgrades (two at 150,000 EQM and at 200,000 EQM thereafter, earned in the same calendar year).

If you think you are eligible and have not received them, call AAdvantage Customer Service:

AAdvantage Customer Service
Have questions about your AAdvantage account or program benefits?
Call us
Within the U.S. or Canada
800-882-8880 or your elite reservation number

Monday - Friday.
8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. CT

817-963-7882 (fax)
Note that re/qualifying in 2016 and onward earns four (4) SWU; two SWU at 150k and 200k EQM. Passing 250,000 EQM generally earns no more SWU, but particularly high value flyers and CK might get additional SWU by requesting them. This is possible, not probable.

Rumor: new elite level(s) and low-fare product details coming
Print Wikipost

SWU / Rewards for EXP and Beyond [more than 200k EQP/EQM - what next?]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:54 am

Originally Posted by anabolism
Why do people get so upset at the need to call in, and the secrecy? I agree that Elite Rewards, as a published program, was nice, but what AA is doing now (and what they did before Elite Rewards) is very common across industries. One example that is the topic of much discussion here on FT is credit card companies' offering to waive annual fees and/or award extra benefits. This is also secretive and variable. You have to call, and even then which offers you get, if any, depend on how valuable you are to the credit card company. Yet I'm not aware that this secrecy and need to call in gets people so upset they switch their business to another card. (I've made this point before, but I don't think anyone bothers to read back more than a few posts.)
When I max out the benefits for a given credit card I absolutely switch to using other ones. I got to $40K spend on my Citi Exec card in the first few months of the year (back when I thought I might end up qualifying on EQMs this year--why does the credit card encourage AA's least-profitable mode of elite qualification?) and have probably bought nothing but AA plane tickets on it since.

More importantly, an annual fee is not really comparable to a frequent flier program. If one cashback credit card gave you a bonus $50 extra for every $10,000 you spent and another one would maybe sometimes give you $75 for every $10,000 you spent after the first $50,000 but you didn't know it was going to happen before you called and when you did call the criteria was based on stuff like whether you had a brokerage account with the same financial institution as well as stuff totally outside your control like whether or not the credit card company had accidentally shut down your card for a false-positive fraud alert, you can bet people would be annoyed and more likely to use the first card as well once they spent their first $50K, even though $75 is theoretically more than $50K.

I agree that an open and published program is nicer, but I don't see the big deal with a secret one, either. I expect most companies to secretly rank my value as a customer, and am not surprised nor upset if they act on it.
I don't care that they secretly rank me. I don't care that they use that to figure out how nicely they want to treat me. For example, I'm not bothered by the existence of Concierge Key at all even though I don't qualify. But at the same time, I'm not going to throw extra money AA's way on the hope that I have the right secret ranking, especially when even if I'm a super good and profitable customer I'm the one that has to go out of my way to get anything from them.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by ckx2
You're a 1k, DM and EXP at the same time (?) - maybe you're just flying _too_ much? Maybe the 0.5% of road warriors like you need another tier on each program (aside from CK,GS,younameit). Apparently this issue is just not as important as you think it might be.
Thanks. I fly as much as my business needs and personal and family needs indicate. I don't do mileage runs. (remember those?). Appreciate your speculation on what is important to me, but the speculation is not accurate nor relevant.

<redacted>

Regardless, what is important to me, and I would like to think others, is that the airline is treating customers differently: The ones that squawk about getting more value for extra flying (who get the SWU's) get something for their squawk. The others just keep on flying and get nothing. The airline takes Aadvantage of that. Even if "helix" is mathematically justifiable to the airline, it doesn't let it's customers know they could do more to earn more perks. It's as simple as that.

So how should a flyer feel that he could have gotten a perk for considering extra flying and didn't---because he/she didn't have the savvy to call in? Once the flyer finds out that the perk was there, but wasn't offered or alerted to him/her, and yet others got it, should he/she feel warm and fuzzy?

I don't detect a lot of empathy on this board, because many posters don't share with me my advocacy for consumers who could have/should have been better informed on what could await them in the program. I totally disagree with the notion that thinks its cool, corporate, or whatever to have a "secret" zone for the company (AA) to deal with its customers. I don't take advantage of my customers by telling some one thing and others something else (by withholding info).

It the airline wants to think of it as a prerogative to hold on to a special zone of relationship (in secret) for a segment of its business, I suppose it can do it. But when it gets out to those who were not invited to the party (and might have wanted to be invited to come) it, IMHO, is not uplifting. Their resentment would be well justified. And yes, they walk with their feet when the timing is right.

And, aside all that, the whole thing, historically to me, has been inconsistent, if not capricious, anyway, so how does criticize or complain about a moving target?

Controlling the flow of information is something as old as the hills in business and other relationships, so this is nothing new. I've always thought it was bad business practice, and the downside, when your counterpart finds out you controlled the flow of info to either disadvantage him or aid his competitor, is considerable.

Last edited by Microwave; Sep 4, 2015 at 3:18 am Reason: Removed off topic content
Old Sep 4, 2015, 1:06 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by jordyn
I'm not going to throw extra money AA's way on the hope that I have the right secret ranking
Fair enough, although my understanding is that you can call in and ask if you will get extra SWUs for exceeding 150k EQP.
Old Sep 4, 2015, 3:39 am

Originally Posted by FullFare
Thanks. I fly as much as my business needs and personal and family needs indicate. I don't do mileage runs. (remember those?). Appreciate your speculation on what is important to me, but the speculation is not accurate nor relevant.

<redacted>

Regardless, what is important to me, and I would like to think others, is that the airline is treating customers differently: The ones that squawk about getting more value for extra flying (who get the SWU's) get something for their squawk. The others just keep on flying and get nothing. The airline takes Aadvantage of that. Even if "helix" is mathematically justifiable to the airline, it doesn't let it's customers know they could do more to earn more perks. It's as simple as that.

So how should a flyer feel that he could have gotten a perk for considering extra flying and didn't---because he/she didn't have the savvy to call in? Once the flyer finds out that the perk was there, but wasn't offered or alerted to him/her, and yet others got it, should he/she feel warm and fuzzy?

I don't detect a lot of empathy on this board, because many posters don't share with me my advocacy for consumers who could have/should have been better informed on what could await them in the program. I totally disagree with the notion that thinks its cool, corporate, or whatever to have a "secret" zone for the company (AA) to deal with its customers. I don't take advantage of my customers by telling some one thing and others something else (by withholding info).

It the airline wants to think of it as a prerogative to hold on to a special zone of relationship (in secret) for a segment of its business, I suppose it can do it. But when it gets out to those who were not invited to the party (and might have wanted to be invited to come) it, IMHO, is not uplifting. Their resentment would be well justified. And yes, they walk with their feet when the timing is right.

And, aside all that, the whole thing, historically to me, has been inconsistent, if not capricious, anyway, so how does criticize or complain about a moving target?

Controlling the flow of information is something as old as the hills in business and other relationships, so this is nothing new. I've always thought it was bad business practice, and the downside, when your counterpart finds out you controlled the flow of info to either disadvantage him or aid his competitor, is considerable.
+1 Some good points.

I think you nailed it.

Figuring out your value to the airline (in this case Helix score) is not hard. (It took us a few weeks to get a rough indicator and some tweaking after to get a pretty accurate algorithm and break down the indicators.)

And even if a traveler knew their score, is the average traveler going to change their behavior? Probably not.

To your point...
Last year, I had over 175,000 EQP and ran out of SWU's, despite buying mostly business class. No offers of more came my way. I stumbled across another board that said call and ask for more. I did and received 4 more. Was I happy? Yes, to get them. Hell no, because I had to call and ask for them - and even then, it was not like AA sent me an email and said call in.

What did I do for the last quarter of last year? When all things were equal (price, cabin, routing, etc), I shifted some of my business elsewhere. In reality, not much business - maybe $5k. But $5k AA lost just because they were not proactive.

This year, I am again in the 180's... have not called for more SWUs yet because it is annoying I need to be the squeaky wheel to get them.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, FB Gold, AS MVPG, MR Titanium, VS Gold
Just broke 175k EQP for the year - called in and got 4 SWU, 2 for 150 2 for 175. Told I could get at least 4 more, 2 @ 200 and 2 @ 225.
For Reference:

Miles: 111,018 of 100,000 (YTD)
Segments: 60 of 120 (YTD)
Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by IWontRegretThis
Just broke 175k EQP for the year - called in and got 4 SWU, 2 for 150 2 for 175. Told I could get at least 4 more, 2 @ 200 and 2 @ 225.
For Reference:

Miles: 111,018 of 100,000 (YTD)
Segments: 60 of 120 (YTD)
Fantastic, thanks for the report! Got a few more reports over the last week all of which point to the guidelines I've posted about for most of the last few years:

Overachieving EXP
by JonNYCme, on Flickr

Last edited by JonNYC; Sep 8, 2015 at 5:03 pm
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Fantastic, thanks for the report! Got a few more reports over the last week all of which point to the guidelines I've posted about for most of the last few years:

Overachieving EXP
by JonNYCme, on Flickr
Thanks for this.

Now in a debate weather to continue to credit to AA, or swap to AS (already re qualified for 75k there as well) or to Delta if/when they status match me. Too bad they wont give me DM
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Thanks for this.

Now in a debate weather to continue to credit to AA, or swap to AS (already re qualified for 75k there as well) or to Delta if/when they status match me. Too bad they wont give me DM
I'd give DL a shot in your position. Not really much more AA can offer you at this point. I'd rather be a PM on my way to DM than have a couple more SWUs.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 6:50 pm
Suspended

Thanks for this.
A pleasure.

..Now in a debate weather to continue to credit to AA, or swap to AS (already re qualified for 75k there as well) or to Delta if/when they status match me.
Also depends how much you value renewing your Concierge Key status
Old Sep 8, 2015, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
A pleasure.

Also depends how much you value renewing your Concierge Key status
I doubt I will be renewed this year. Previous 2 years were due to aairpass, not needing to renew it this year probably.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:52 am
Suspended

I doubt I will be renewed this year. Previous 2 years were due to aairpass, not needing to renew it this year probably.
Ah, ok-- well, then, no artificial "prison" there, as it were. Maybe time to try something else.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by bmchris
I would expect more transparency and fairness with moving to a revenue based model for example. Perhaps next year?
I don't share that expectation at all. The DL program gave up even revealing an award chart at all, and it has changed more than once, without notice, its "unlimited complimentary" top-tier upgrade policies on transcon flights.

Personally I liked the choice aspect of Elite Rewards when it was offered. Extra SWU's are not the thing I'd always want most, "secret" or not.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 6:36 pm

FWIW - Called in for more certs today. (Didn't bother last year as I did not use all I had.)

As others reported... 4 certs in minutes and a promise of another 2 when I cover another 12k EQP next month to get to 200k.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 7:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by martin33
I don't share that expectation at all. The DL program gave up even revealing an award chart at all, and it has changed more than once, without notice, its "unlimited complimentary" top-tier upgrade policies on transcon flights..
That's a pretty darn good example. And, 100% understandable why AA keeps the overachieving EP program very opaque.

At least-- thanks to me-- the AA community here knows the guidelines for extra SWUs for overage EQPs. It's not like AA ever wanted this amount of info out there on the program.
Old Sep 14, 2015, 7:30 am
Suspended

Just a bump to say got 3 more reports via PM all reporting both success and none of the fumbling and confusion from previous years.

If you have over 150K EQPs -or- are above 125K EQPs and anticipate reaching 150 EQPs by year's end, definitely call in.

(from previous year version of this program) : https://www.flickr.com/photos/54131097@N07/8430451025/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.