Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

BA lounge at PHL denies access to AA Elites / Premium Flyers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA lounge at PHL denies access to AA Elites / Premium Flyers

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2015, 2:57 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
When it is used as a QR lounge, there is no access unless travelling on QR

The One World lounge details states

The lounge is open during the morning exclusively for the use of QR customers.
And as I stated back when this thread started, when arriving on QR it is a pain to get in as the dragons want to see a lounge card.

Honestly it really isn't worth the trouble. The lounge is small with limited options and there isn't a shower.

Another thread about this lounge:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...w-members.html

Last edited by skunker; Jan 5, 2015 at 3:05 pm
Old Jan 5, 2015, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by skunker
And as I stated back when this thread started, when arriving on QR it is a pain to get in as the dragons want to see a lounge card.

Honestly it really isn't worth the trouble. The lounge is small with limited options and there isn't a shower.

Another thread about this lounge:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onewo...w-members.html
I didn't realise that nologic's complaint about access to the lounge during its QR hours had been accurately addressed in that other thread - seems odd to raise it again

When arriving on QR, I wouldn't have expected there to be access granted , only when departing on QR
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:11 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I didn't realise that nologic's complaint about access to the lounge during its QR hours had been accurately addressed in that other thread - seems odd to raise it again

When arriving on QR, I wouldn't have expected there to be access granted , only when departing on QR
True, lounges are for departure. But, I arrived QR and was continuing with US in first, which according to oneworld rules would allow entry to a lounge.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT
I'm flying through PHL next week in BA F. I have a connecting domestic flight after that on US to the west coast (F & I'm EXP). What are the odds of getting into the galleries F there? Can I get in there arriving on BA F is the real question.

I'm trying to get on another BA flight to go direct, but that may not work out.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:29 pm
formerly bdohmen

Programs: Still dealing with the loss of my BA Concorde Room Card
BA lounge at PHL denies access to AA / US elites / flyers

The departures are four hours depart for the outbound flights so if you get there after arrival it will either be totally packed with people about to leave or totally empty with people who have left so a fighting chance I suppose. But, for the record, I am about 1/4 for trying and just go to the envoy lounge.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by skunker
True, lounges are for departure. But, I arrived QR and was continuing with US in first, which according to oneworld rules would allow entry to a lounge.
It wouldn't allow access to that lounge in the morning since you are not departing on QR
Old Jan 5, 2015, 5:51 pm

Yea I arrive BA 67 and connect to SEA on US. I think, parsing the OW rules I should be able to get in - particularly since I arrive on BA F. I know I can go into any other lounge there, but I'd way rather eat on the ground. This day starts in DXB at 2:30am - goes through LHR (CCR at least ) and then arrives PHL at 3:15; three hours at PHL on to SEA.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by dnova
Yea I arrive BA 67 and connect to SEA on US. I think, parsing the OW rules I should be able to get in - particularly since I arrive on BA F. I know I can go into any other lounge there, but I'd way rather eat on the ground. This day starts in DXB at 2:30am - goes through LHR (CCR at least ) and then arrives PHL at 3:15; three hours at PHL on to SEA.
Rules for (BA) Lounge Access by AA/US Domestic Passengers:
"American Airlines AAdvantage® members and US Airways Dividend Miles members, regardless of their tier status or class of travel, are not eligible for lounge access when travelling solely on North American flights within or between the U.S., Canada, Mexico (except Mexico City), the Bahamas, Bermuda and the Caribbean."

But I believe this is the Rule that applies to you:
"Connecting between oneworld marketed and operated flights: First and Business Class customers connecting on the same day of travel, or before 6am the following day, can access the lounge when travelling between an international long haul (a oneworld international long haul flight is defined as an international flight marketed and operated by any oneworld carrier with a scheduled flight time longer than 5 hours) and an international short haul or domestic flight (and vice-versa).
Lounge access will be determined on the international long haul ticketed flight (either First of Business Class) regardless of the ticketed class of travel on the international short haul or domestic flight. You must be prepared to show your boarding pass or itinerary showing travel in First or Business class on the international long haul flight, in order to access the lounge before your international short haul or domestic flight."

A point: At the time the PHL BA Galleries Lounge was designed, the maximum forecasted usage was for 3-4 flights BA disbursed throughout the day (BA had/has only 2). It wasn't forecasted for use by any OW carrier (other than BA), since US was not a member of OW, AA had a minimum presence at PHL - with no international services and there were no other alliance partners. Now all of a sudden (post merger), BA is faced with a horde of non-BA passengers, requesting access to the lounge. Under the circumstances, I feel it is within their prerogative to restrict access to BA passengers, when the Lounge is busy. Also, QR is paying BA for EXCLUSIVE use of the Galleries Lounge during its morning flight times, which I assume means OW access does not apply during that period.

Last edited by perseus11; Jan 5, 2015 at 9:37 pm
Old Jan 5, 2015, 10:47 pm

Here's to hoping! It's totally in BA's right to deny access to almost anyone. Their lounges are nice - it's why we love them - and why they need to work hard to keep them nice. I will say though that over the last few years OW has done a really good job with the lounge access for me - especially in Asia and LHR. I don't even know where I put my EXP card anymore and I've never had an issue.

I'm just looking forward to my first visit to CCR! I was tempted to go the other way around the world on CX and avoid BA's insane fees and lack of caviar in F - but whatever, CCR is a bucket list item for me - just because I haven't been there.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I don't think you should have an issue entering a BA F lounge as a BA in-transit F pax.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Went to the PHL BA lounge right when it opened today (not a soul there) as AA EXP/OW Emerald and was turned away. The nice woman at the desk explained that the lounge would be "at capacity" due to the departing BA flight this evening and thus that no more pax could be admitted. She did offer to let me in if I came back later after the flight departed, but I'm going to be gone by then. That's a shame, because it looked like a really nice place. It sounded like they let in OW Emeralds when they feel like it/have space and turn them away when they don't. Hardly in line with the OW lounge agreements, but I don't blame them for keeping things nice for their flyers (it's not like any of their pax are going to use the AC instead, HAHAHA).

On another note, the ACs at PHL are sad. The one by gate A6 has to be the most depressing little place in the airport. Liquor selection was limited, blurry windows only let in light without giving a view of the outside, the "bar" had that wooden panel closed for a little bit before it was opened (because of this, I was thinking that they didn't even have a bar). And, as always, it's a war to get drink coupons at any ex-US Airways club.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: BA , Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, LQ Elite
I'm wondering if they'd let BA silvers in (seeing it's a BA lounge) when traveling in Y to DFW?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
I was unable to get drink chits at the AA. Or US lounges in Terminal A (by gate 6), as a Qantas sapphire. They called their supervisor and they said know. They called the Admirals Club and they said no. Drink chits only for biz and 1st class pax to Europe was the message. Go have a well drink for free like everyone else was the second part of the message. OW has lost control and the airlines are creating interpretations to get around the rules.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 3:40 pm

Given that AA/US do offer some complimentary beverages in its lounges, it doesn't seem that unreasonable that drinks vouchers not be provided anymore

What weird interpretation of the rules is being created? the benefit of OWS/OWE is lounge access and that was granted
Old Jan 6, 2015, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11
On another note, the ACs at PHL are sad. The one by gate A6 has to be the most depressing little place in the airport. Liquor selection was limited, blurry windows only let in light without giving a view of the outside, the "bar" had that wooden panel closed for a little bit before it was opened (because of this, I was thinking that they didn't even have a bar). And, as always, it's a war to get drink coupons at any ex-US Airways club.
Actually, anyone who uses the tiny AA pre-merger lounge in A-EAST for any thing other than re-routes or changes to AA flights, deserves what they get. The US Lounge in A-WEST, which is FAR from Sad, is the one you should be using if departing from either "A" concourse.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.