FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   All things Employee & Buddy Pass (D3, D* passes etc.) (consolidated) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/157562-all-things-employee-buddy-pass-d3-d-passes-etc-consolidated.html)

panjabi May 22, 2005 8:26 pm

D-3 travel is absolutely NOT worth it. I seriously doubt American will save $50 million. In fact I am fairly positive that should AA eliminate Buddy D-3s, it will actually LOSE money it makes on those service fees.

D-3 is now so expensive that if I want someone to fly from JFK to MIA in D-3, they would have to pay more than what they can find (albeit 21 days in advance) on other carriers. Then on top of it, your seat is not guaranteed, you will probably not get boarded (in these days of 80% load factors) and you stand there next to the travel agent stressed out like the dickens. Or I can pay $165 and buy a round trip on NWA and earn miles and actually get on the flight and make my travel schedule.

No one wants the silly D-3s anymore. Unless you are flying to Europe in J or F, D-3s are absolutely useless.

vasantn May 22, 2005 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by wrose99
Last year, these costs were over a quarter-million dollars. In the last five years, the costs totaled $1.4 billion

Clearly a typo; must have meant $1.4 million.

vasantn May 22, 2005 8:43 pm

On this score, and I know some will disagree, it seems like over and over again it is the Wall Street Journal that "gets it right."

Actually, IMHO the WSJ's reporting is as good as the NYT's; that is to say, superb.

I feel confident saying that this story would never have made it past the editors at the Journal. Certainly the errors would have been corrected and assumptions teased out, but that would have just made it obvious what a foolish story it was in the first place.

However, this was not a story; it was a column.

AAFA May 22, 2005 11:15 pm

--I'm fairly certain these programs are a profit center for the airlines, and that is before you consider the following:

1. Airlines purchase their labor in labor markets
2. Cash is the primary form of compensation
3. If you cut cash compensation below a certain amount, some of your labor will leave.
4. If you can supply your employees with a benefit that allows you to cut wages (or forestall wage increase) more than the cost to you of the benefit, you increase your profitibility by offering the benefit
5. Buddy pass programs have a minimal, if any, cost to the airline
6. Buddy pass programs are valued by the employess, and allow the airlines to cut wages by far more than the cost of the benefit

One might respond that airline workers' wages are already above-market due to unions, etc., but that ignores how many airline jobs are nonunion at this point (including management--they are also paid less due to this benefit), and also ignores the fact that even union jobs are subject to the labor market-- note the difficulties the airlines are having attracting entry level mechanics.[/QUOTE]

I think the point here is that the perks of "working" for an AA are way below the perks of being on the BOD, and being one of the BOD's friends or family members. Apparently the shareholders are picking up the burden of paying for free rides, to the tune of millions a year, for people they shouldn't be. You travel for pleasure and it should be out of your pocket not the corporation.

Pass riding in general is a money maker for the airline because as Astro Jets aptly stated AA pass ride fees are the highest and most restrictive in the industry.

lerasp May 23, 2005 6:45 pm

Buddy travel not all it's cracked up to be!

having flown for many years on buddy passes (lots of family friends are airline pilots), let me assure you that the airline is not losing any money with those. They are absolutely worthless for domestic flights except in emergency. the only times they are worth it is if you fly long-haul (i've flown to bangkok, egypt, russia) on non-busy routes and off-peak, you have a shot at getting a seat in J or F for the price of Y (not full fare Y, but similar to what you would get off orbitz or so). that made me become very creative with flight days and seasons, but to me that was the only chance to fly in J, so worth a shot. However, i've gotten stuck in layover airports when not taking a direct flight for couple days - wasn't too bad as you know that's part of the deal going into it and you know better than to schedule anything important without padding. but please don't get jealous that it's some heavenly freebies. it's sort of like dunkin donuts giving away day-old donuts at midnight before they chuck 'em.

MJonTravel May 23, 2005 7:53 pm

Regarding Board of Directors Travel....

I think it is absolutely appropriate for AA to provide transportation to and from board meetings for board members. I'm a little less inclined to say AA should provide unlimited positive space travel benefits to board members and their immediate family. (I'm not even sure they do provide this benefit to the family of a board member, but they might)

Now...if AA's BoD retainer is less than the average (If the salary they pay customer service managers is any indication, it probably is below average :D), and the travel benefits are an extra perk, then I suppose one could reasonably argue that it's ok to provide this benefit.

I don't have all the facts just yet, so I am not going to get too worked up about it. I sold all my shares, and they cancelled all my options about 3 seconds after I handed in my resignation, but since I've got a little over 10 years of vested pension there that I might someday get, I do care about the place and want to see AA succeed!

centrum Sep 3, 2005 8:05 pm

My First Post - what are the rules of a "buddy pass"?

Hello all.

I've been lurking for a while and hopefully am posting this in the right area. I have a friend who has a friend etc...that can supply me with employee tickets that offer first class anywhere AA flies (if available). If not then Business or coach. These tickets also can be changed with no penalties and any name can be entered as the passenger. The cost is approx. $600.First question is if anybody has experience using these and how succesful have they been? Second question is if they accrue miles.
Thanks in advance and I love this site.

gemac Sep 3, 2005 9:00 pm

I don't have the answer to your questions. Might I suggest that people with the answers would be more likely to read your questions, and provide the answers, if in the future you would give your thread a more descriptive title.

Welcome to Flyertalk.

Mateo4321 Sep 4, 2005 2:39 am

Originally Posted by centrum
Hello all.

I've been lurking for a while and hopefully am posting this in the right area. I have a friend who has a friend etc...that can supply me with employee tickets that offer first class anywhere AA flies (if available). If not then Business or coach. These tickets also can be changed with no penalties and any name can be entered as the passenger. The cost is approx. $600.First question is if anybody has experience using these and how succesful have they been? Second question is if they accrue miles.
Thanks in advance and I love this site.

Never heard of this, but hook me up! :cool:

ScottTexas Sep 4, 2005 10:00 am

To answer your questions about mileage accrual, we would need to know the fare class. Google "FewMiles American Airlines" for a website useful on fare classes.

ExtrAAordinaire Sep 4, 2005 10:54 am

What you're describing sound like so-called "buddy passes" which allow travel on a space-available basis. They are not eligible for the accrual of FF miles.

flipside Sep 4, 2005 11:04 am

Originally Posted by ScottTexas
To answer your questions about mileage accrual, we would need to know the fare class. Google "FewMiles American Airlines" for a website useful on fare classes.

... or he could just click the "sticky" at the top of the forum that says "Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage: elite status..."

Flyer23 Sep 4, 2005 11:40 am

Originally Posted by flipside
... or he could just click the "sticky" at the top of the forum that says "Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage: elite status..."

...or he could check the AA web site, which is more accurate with regards to mileage-earning fare classes than FewMiles...

wanaflyforless Sep 4, 2005 12:24 pm

Employee friends and family "buddy passes" - as an employee benefit they receive a certain number of passes a year - are never supposed to earn miles. They are great for last minute travel if you truly can be flexible...but unless you are very good at determining what routes will go with empty premium seats, expect economy. Remember you have less priority than any paying passengers and those wanting to upgrade. Only if there are still empty seats left upfront do you have a chance.

Island Sep 4, 2005 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by centrum
Hello all.

I have a friend who has a friend etc...that can supply me with employee tickets that offer first class anywhere AA flies (if available).

My knowledge of buddy passes is similar to what has been posted. While AA does not use the term, CO uses it to describe an employees allotment of D3 passes. These are usualy at no cost to the employee, except for taxes, and can easily have the itinerary changed, without fees. But is all stand-by waiting list, and low on the list. What little knowledge I have of them is that it would be a violation of policy to sell them for profit or business use.