Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

All things Employee & Buddy Pass (D3, D* passes etc.) (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
NOTE: As FlyerTalk is a frequent flyer (passenger) site, you won’t find much experience or knowledge about Employee or Buddy Passes here if our AA employee members are off flying or choose not to answer.

Your best information source on Employee and Buddy Passes is the airline, or in the case you were granted a Buddy Pass by an employee, your employee sponsor.

Where do you stack up against other non-revenue pass riders while flying standby on American Airlines flights? Find your group in the prioritized list below. Be sure to check in for your flight as early as possible, as priority within groups is determined by time of check in.

D1 – Eligible employees using allotted passes

D2 – American Airlines and wholly-owned employees and their parents when accompanied

D2R – Retirees

D2P – Parents traveling without employee

AAC* – Employees of non-wholly owned regionals and their companions

D3 – Buddy passes

ONE – oneworld employees

ZED – Other airline employees traveling on ZED tickets

*AAC – Non-wholly owned regional employees traveling on their “own metal” will be boarded first

Link to clearedlist.net
Print Wikipost

All things Employee & Buddy Pass (D3, D* passes etc.) (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2018, 5:28 pm

Programs: Several...
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
That is definitely not the case.

There is a newish system that consolidates non-rev and rev reservations in one system but the employee has to put you in the system.
The employee still has to list you for the flight, but a credit card is supposed to be required. I say supposed to because I just listed someone for a flight this morning and no credit card was required for the D3 SA pass. I think there are glitches that they haven't fully worked out. AA was trying to make it so you gave them your credit card and they did not charge it until you got on the flight. This way, they don't have to take the money out of the employee paycheck for D3 guests. I'm a D2, but I have other family members who frequently travel on buddy passes.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 6:50 am

AA D3 Questions, thanks in advance

My retired aa friend, who is not computer literate, has given me access to his account. I have a few questions.

1. What are d3 baggage limits, bags and weights, Miami to santiago Dominican Republic. Also, are they the same mia-pty?
Btw, I know it's best to travel with no checked bags.

2. Is the four pass yearly limit actually 8 one way?

3. If I fly sti-mia-pty-mia-mco all in less than 14 days is that only one pass, even though going thru Miami twice?

glad I found this site
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Affald
My retired aa friend, who is not computer literate, has given me access to his account. I have a few questions.

1. What are d3 baggage limits, bags and weights, Miami to santiago Dominican Republic. Also, are they the same mia-pty?
Btw, I know it's best to travel with no checked bags.

2. Is the four pass yearly limit actually 8 one way?

3. If I fly sti-mia-pty-mia-mco all in less than 14 days is that only one pass, even though going thru Miami twice?

glad I found this site
I believe it's still 2 bags free 50 lbs and under.

Yes I believe it is 8 one-way passes for Retirees.

No, it would be two passes. Going MIA to PTY and then your next point being back to MIA, doesn't matter if it's only 2 minutes in PTY, it is still considered a new pass since you are going directly back to exact same city you came from.

Last edited by SpinOn2; Feb 11, 2018 at 9:40 am
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:36 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
If you have access to your friend's account, just click on the Travel Guide link in the Travel page. All your answers are there.

Non-revenue passengers can check two bags free of charge on domestic and most international flights (the latter is restricted during busy seasons).

The pass bank consists of one-way passes. I believe that retirees receive eight one-way guest passes per calendar year.

Each one-way pass is valid for up to four nonstop segments in a 14-day period. However, if the traveler returns to the city of origin or to a city within 100 miles of that city, a second one-way pass is used for any additional flight segments.
Old Feb 14, 2018, 5:33 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum

There are three triggers for starting a new one-way pass:
1) A fifth flight segment
2) Travel on the 15th day
3) Returning within 100 miles of your initial point of departure

STI-MIA-PTY-MIA-MCO would be four segments in 14 days without returning within 100 miles of the origin (STI), so it would only require a single one-way pass. There is no prohibition on transiting the same airport mid-trip, as long as it's not the point of origin.
fedechat, TWA884 and dfw88 like this.
Old Feb 17, 2018, 7:13 pm

Thank you all!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
Hi All,

I worked for BA for years and did a lot of staff travel on them, I'm aware of some of the pitfalls of staff travel.

I'm going home to London for the weekend and flying CLT-LHR on a D3 which my friend at AA got me. I see on the listing that it mentions business (FWIW).

I'm currently OWS, Am I allowed to use the lounges as a OWS on a D3 please?

Before any doom and gloom comments, I'll mention that I am not really bothered whether I get on or not. I live a 30 min drive from CLT and my parents live 30 mins from LHR so no biggie.

Thanks,
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:41 am
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by capin
There is no lounge access based on status when non-revving. However, you may use the Admirals Club if you are a member.
MCI777 and capin like this.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by capin
Hi All,

I worked for BA for years and did a lot of staff travel on them, I'm aware of some of the pitfalls of staff travel.

I'm going home to London for the weekend and flying CLT-LHR on a D3 which my friend at AA got me. I see on the listing that it mentions business (FWIW).

Before any doom and gloom comments, I'll mention that I am not really bothered whether I get on or not. I live a 30 min drive from CLT and my parents live 30 mins from LHR so no biggie.

Thanks,
I didn't get business but I got 2 seats together CLT-LHR and 4 seats together LHR-CLT so I had a good sleep both ways. The A330s being used on these services are really nice, The seat pitch and width is Y is great.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by TWA884
There is no lounge access based on status when non-revving. However, you may use the Admirals Club if you are a member.
I was recently on an international flight as a non-rev. I am a Qantas Club member so I can use the Admirals Club. There was not an option on my reservation on the buddy pass checkin or when I spoke with agents to put in my FF number so the ticket didn't say anything about me being an EXP.

At EZE, they wouldn't let me in to the Admirals Club "because I didn't have a seat assignment." I think that was wrong but didn't want to push the issue.

At JFK, they wanted to let me into the Flagship Lounge. I told them I didn't think that was permitted because I was on a non-rev ticket and that I just wanted to stick with the Admirals Club using my Qantas Club. At LAX, I thought about heading to the QF lounge but decided not to.

It's my understanding that some of these things can flow back to your friend who gave you the buddy pass so its better to stick by the rules and not push it.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:33 pm

Does anyone know how I can get a D2T designation without having to take the first leg of a flight? so for example, can I book a connecting flight through my departure city and simply not take the first leg?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by James.li1273
Does anyone know how I can get a D2T designation without having to take the first leg of a flight? so for example, can I book a connecting flight through my departure city and simply not take the first leg?
You can't.

Just as with revenue tickets, if you fail to show up for the first flight segment of your PNR, your listings for the rest of your flights will be canceled.

Oh, and don't try to fly to another city and then backtrack through your originating city to circumvent the rule. It's a well known trick and an invitation to have your (and possibly your sponsor's) pass privileges suspended.

If it is within driving distance, however, you can start your trip in another city and then get the "T" designation at what would have been the originating airport of your trip.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:22 pm

Gotcha! thanks for the info. Do you know if there's a way to find nearby cities which would have a connection through my home city for this route?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Pleb, HH Gold, PWP General Secretary
Originally Posted by James.li1273
I disagree with TWA884, there is nothing in the travel guide that would prevent you from going says DFW-TYR-DFW-LHR, you would need two tickets, but's not against policy.

Last edited by colpuck; Jul 5, 2018 at 8:04 pm
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by colpuck
I disagree with TWA884, there is nothing in the travel guide that would prevent you from going says DFW-TYR-DFW-LHR, you would need two tickets, but's not against policy.
This rule is somewhat of a mixed bag. Technically, there is only a policy against it if you do it in the same day. You're only allowed to be listed on one flight out of a given airport on a given day, so if you flew DFW-TYR on the same day that you were going to fly DFW-LHR that would be against the rules. If you flew DFW-TYR the night before, however, that is technically allowed. The flipside is that I have known many people who have done this trick, both on the same day and on different days, and none of them have ever gotten in trouble for it. It seems like a case in which there is a rule that is poorly, if ever, enforced.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.