Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by bhomburg
if this is all on one ticket, yes.
Originally Posted by Often1
Yes. US law provides that the baggage allowance of the marketing carrier of the first segment becomes the allowance for all onwards (and return) segments. Whether you are connecting or stopping over, your allowance will be the same for LAX-YVR as for the TPAC segment. If connecting, AA will tag your bag through to YVR and you will simply collect it at LAX to lug it through Customs and then drop it and not even have to recheck it post Customs at LAX.
Originally Posted by aztimm
What does DL -- Delta -- have to do with this? The question was posted in the American Airlines (AA) forum, and the OP specified AA in the first post.
Originally Posted by Often1
Sorry, typed too fast. Same answer for AA as DL. Corrected the post.
Thanks a lot for the information guys! I think I'm going to give AA a chance for an international flight. Let's hope it's as good as their domestic flights!
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:24 pm

Just checked your itinerary details via my app called INWEIGH. The third bag is indeed $200USD which means you have been charged correctly.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:42 pm

Hi, I tried adding your itinerary to my app called INWEIGH and yes, you will get 2 free bags at 23 KGS. Your third bag will be 200USD.

Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:27 pm

Programs: AA PLT, United Silver
Will this bag be transfered to the destination with a 9 hour connection and a different airline
SAT-CLT-JFK-YVR (JFK-YVR on cathay pacific with 9 hour connection) everything is in the same PNR
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:05 pm

Was wondering if someone can help on this. I am OneWorld Sapphire (BA Silver) and flew AA PE recently. I took three bags with me, I get the first two free as I'm flying PE and with my OneWorld status, however I was charged the third bag price (Ŗ140) for my third bag. Is this correct, or should I have just been charged a first bag fee, since it's my first paid bag as the others are included with my allowance? Would be good to know before the return leg.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: HH Lifetime Diamond, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mediamonkey
Was wondering if someone can help on this. I am OneWorld Sapphire (BA Silver) and flew AA PE recently. I took three bags with me, I get the first two free as I'm flying PE and with my OneWorld status, however I was charged the third bag price (Ŗ140) for my third bag. Is this correct, or should I have just been charged a first bag fee, since it's my first paid bag as the others are included with my allowance? Would be good to know before the return leg.
No, unfortunately that's correct. The first two are 'free', but they count against that allowance. So third and subsequent would be charged as appropriate for those # of bags.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 9:15 am

Well that is annoying / expensive. Does anyone know if there is a way to advance pay for a bag?
Old Oct 2, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by mediamonkey
Well that is annoying / expensive. Does anyone know if there is a way to advance pay for a bag?
I think that you may be offered the opportunity at OLCI but I don't think there is a way until then.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I called AA on this question and the answer I got seemed shaky, even after the agent consulted someone else. Looking for anyone with similar experiences to how AA will actually handle it.

Flight from MOB-CLT-GGT with a 12.5hr overnight layover in CLT. I've consistently read/been told > 12 hours means we'll have to pick up our bags in CLT. My question is around the checked bag fees. We are planning on checking 2 bags each. Without the long layover, normally we'd have to pay $60 each for the one-way there (tickets booked prior to Sep 21, so $25 for first and $35 for second). Since we have to collect bags in CLT, will we be charged again (another $60 each) when we re-check in CLT? And if that's the case, as AA credit cardholders, shouldn't we get 1 bag free for the MOB-CLT flight?

In other words, I see two plausible ways for AA to handle this:
  • We pay $60 upon check-in at MOB and nothing in CLT
  • We pay $60 upon check-in at MOB and another $60 in CLT
If the latter, then I'd want to argue to only pay $35 in MOB, but I won't know if that's the case until we are checking-in in CLT the next day. AAgent phone agent said we would be charged twice, but hesitantly agreed that we should have one bag free on MOB-CLT. And of course, all that said, I'd love to get a waiver since we're only ~30min over the 12hr layover threshold and be able to through-check, but I know that's unlikely. It's frustrating to deal with such byzantine unpublished rules.
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You will be charged per checking in of bags and for the domestic leg I believe that any waiver that applies for domestic flights shoulld apply to that check in
Old Oct 2, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA, UA, BA, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You will be charged per checking in of bags
Thanks, I figured as much. Will it be difficult to argue at the check-in of the domestic flight (MOB-CLT) that we should get 1st bag free since the bags are terminating domestically? Or are they going to force the ultimate destination (GGT, Bahamas) to drive the baggage policy?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:24 pm

American Airlines Executive Platinum Bag Allowance (weight)

A friend recently mentioned she believed the bag weight limit for an AA EP flying domestic coach is 50 pounds. I thought it was 70 based on my experiences, but I cannot find it documented:

The only thing I can find:

1st, 2nd and 3rd checked bags are complimentary for:And:

For all regions, your checked bag allowance is:
  • Dimension: 62 in / 158 cm
  • Weight: 50 lbs / 23 kgs
  • For First / Business Class, weight is 70 lbs / 32 kgs

Sometimes my bag flying coach in the USA has been over 50 lbs (60ish), but I have never paid a fee for being over 50lbs. (I thought it was 70lb per bag for EP)

Does anyone have a link on AA to the exact spot that spells out the weight allowance for an individual checked bag for Exec Plat on an AA domestic flight in coach?

Thanks!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Global321
Does anyone have a link on AA to the exact spot that spells out the weight allowance for an individual checked bag for Exec Plat on an AA domestic flight in coach?
"First and Business Class, Executive Platinum and oneworld Emerald members can check baggage up to 70 lbs / 32 kgs at no extra cost."
near the bottom of https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ht-baggage.jsp under "Overweight Baggage."
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by MADPhil
"First and Business Class, Executive Platinum and oneworld Emerald members can check baggage up to 70 lbs / 32 kgs at no extra cost."
near the bottom of https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ht-baggage.jsp under "Overweight Baggage."
Thank you. Don't know how I missed it.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:14 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
If I'm flying CLL-DFW-LGA with CLL-DFW in Y (bc only Y on that aircraft) and DFW-LGA in F, what would my checked bag allowance be? No AA or OW status. Hoping that it would be the same 2 bags at 70lbs.

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.