Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: Baggage / luggage limits, interline, rules etc. (consolidated)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:27 am
C46

Originally Posted by travelfriend
Hello All,
As most others answered. I don't see an issue either. We created the INWEIGH app to specifically confirm baggage rules for such complicated itineraries. We have partnered with airline owned company to get the rules. Hope this is useful for situations like this. Download the app and let me know your thoughts.

Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...yetech.inweigh

iOS - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/inwe...426365302?mt=8

Demo video- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uENwPh5JXg4
Ah, Advertising...

To quote 'Smokey & the Bandit':

"Sheriff, do the letters F.O. mean anything to you!?"
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:36 am

Checked baggage with overnight layover

My wife and I are flying American from SFO to Merida, Mexico with an overnight layover in Miami

We land in Miami at 8:30pm and take off again for Merida the next day at 10:30am. The tickets were purchased with AA miles and as one ticket (not separate segments). What will happen with the luggage we check at SFO - will we need to claim it when we land in Miami? If so, wIll we need to pay a second baggage fee when we fly on to Merida the nest day?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 1:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by delta9
My wife and I are flying American from SFO to Merida, Mexico with an overnight layover in Miami

We land in Miami at 8:30pm and take off again for Merida the next day at 10:30am. The tickets were purchased with AA miles and as one ticket (not separate segments). What will happen with the luggage we check at SFO - will we need to claim it when we land in Miami? If so, wIll we need to pay a second baggage fee when we fly on to Merida the nest day?
On connections exceeding 12 hours you’ll have to recover and recheck baggage in MIA. (I’ve done the same SNF-DFW-CZM, etc.)
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
On connections exceeding 12 hours you’ll have to recover and recheck baggage in MIA. (I’ve done the same SNF-DFW-CZM, etc.)
Did you have to pay a second baggage fee?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Will I have to pay for bags flying AA from Shanghai to Vancouver?

A one way flight for mid-November with AA is C$446.30, which seems pretty decent to me. I thought about redeeming Avios, but I think it's at least 30,000 Avios and I'm not sure whether that's worth it or not. I also have Aeroplan miles. I've never flown AA from Shanghai to Vancouver before. When flying AA within North America, I know I have to pay for baggage fees, but what about internationally? AA 182 flies from PVG-LAX and then AA6006 is operated by Compass Airlines as American Eagle goes from LAX to YVR.

Comments? Thx.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:21 am

Assuming you have no status:

2 bags free at 23KG.

Last edited by Djokison; Sep 28, 2018 at 5:14 am
Old Sep 28, 2018, 4:22 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
As AA does not (yet) offer basic Economy fares (where bags cost extra) on its transpacific flights, you will be able to check two bags for no extra cost.
See AA'S checked bag policies here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 28, 2018 at 7:45 am Reason: Enable web link
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by bhomburg
As AA does not (yet) offer basic Economy fares (where bags cost extra) on its transpacific flights, you will be able to check two bags for no extra cost.
See AA'S checked bag policies here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/baggage/checked-baggage-policy.jsp
Ah, I thought they’d reduced that to 1. I’ve amended my previous post.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Djokison

Ah, I thought they’d reduced that to 1. I’ve amended my previous post.
All listed for you on AA's website and will then display on your e-ticket receipt as well.

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Djokison
Assuming you have no status:

2 bags free at 23KG.
I don't have any status with AA.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bhomburg
See AA'S checked bag policies here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp
That's awesome. Even for the LAX-YVR flight, I'll get to check in my suitcase for free?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Originally Posted by lsquare
That's awesome. Even for the LAX-YVR flight, I'll get to check in my suitcase for free?
if this is all on one ticket, yes.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lsquare
Yes. US law provides that the baggage allowance of the marketing carrier of the first segment becomes the allowance for all onwards (and return) segments. Whether you are connecting or stopping over, your allowance will be the same for LAX-YVR as for the TPAC segment. If connecting, AA will tag your bag through to YVR and you will simply collect it at LAX to lug it through Customs and then drop it and not even have to recheck it post Customs at LAX.

Last edited by Often1; Sep 28, 2018 at 7:43 am Reason: Corrected DL to AA.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by Often1
If connecting, DL will tag your bag through to YVR and you will simply collect it at LAX to lug it through Customs and then drop it and not even have to recheck it post Customs at LAX.
What does DL -- Delta -- have to do with this? The question was posted in the American Airlines (AA) forum, and the OP specified AA in the first post.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aztimm
What does DL -- Delta -- have to do with this? The question was posted in the American Airlines (AA) forum, and the OP specified AA in the first post.
Sorry, typed too fast. Same answer for AA as DL. Corrected the post.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.